Holding off app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchprof

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am a prospective MD/PhD applicant. I took the MCAT in April, had double-digit PS and BS, but the VR screwed me over, so I retook in August and feel so-so about the VR--praying for a 10, really can't tell. I really don't worry about the sciences, especially PS, but you never know.

Given the above, I was considering holding off my AMCAS and once I see my MCAT score the night of Oct 14, I decide whether to click "submit". Schools generally have the Oct 15 as deadline, I suppose.

I am an otherwise strong applicant with good research, (GPA = 3.9 at no-name school, 1 pub in an international comp sci proceedings, and another one in prep (going to be first author) for probably JACS (Journal of Am. Chem Soc) or J. phy. chem. and expecting very strong LORS from my advisors. If my visceral feeling for the VR is as strong as my perceived performance in the sciences, I would have just gone ahead to apply.

So do you think it will hurt to submit AMCAS on Oct 14 and submit secondaries as soon as they come, or foolishly apply with the prospect of having a weak MCAT (VR especially) and then tons of rejections. I am also applying to straight PhD programs as back-up with the option of considering MD after.

Any thoughts?
PS: I am 19, so I am in no rush.

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry, I have decided to apply after I get my scores regardless of whether they are good or not.

researchprof said:
don't worry, I have decided to apply after I get my scores regardless of whether they are good or not.

Look, what were your actual mcat scores? Firstly we need to know that and especially your actual verbal score. In addition what was your major? Also, how do you think you did exactly on the verbal of this past mcat? If you think or basically know that you got a 9 or 10, i would say apply immediatley. Again, I need to know your exact mcat score. Otherwise you sound liek a good candidate.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
My April score sucked big time. 11PS 5VR 11BS WS Q. The fact is that the VR score is way too low. In practices I was scoring 8-12 so that score kinda shocked me. I was expecting an 8 minimum based on my practice performances. I hope I didn't misbubble as I was skipping around and alarmed at the difficult PS.

This time I "feel" I performed better in each section, but I am afraid to predict anything, especially in VR as I had to rush the last 2 passages in 12 mins. If I happen to take this thing next April I will probably focus my time on 8 passages and rush the last one. I have no problem with science, hopefully. Well, all I can do is wait.

researchprof said:
My April score sucked big time. 11PS 5VR 11BS WS Q. The fact is that the VR score is way too low. In practices I was scoring 8-12 so that score kinda shocked me. I was expecting an 8 minimum based on my practice performances. I hope I didn't misbubble as I was skipping around and alarmed at the difficult PS.

This time I "feel" I performed better in each section, but I am afraid to predict anything, especially in VR as I had to rush the last 2 passages in 12 mins. If I happen to take this thing next April I will probably focus my time on 8 passages and rush the last one. I have no problem with science, hopefully. Well, all I can do is wait.

yeah same here...I feel like I did better the second time, but you can never tell, and I am still debating whether to continue applying or wait till I get my scores...:eek: I don't want to wait because I know I'll go past some deadlines if I do, but then if I send them now and I didn't do so well, it might as well have been a waste of money... :scared:

If you're on the fence about applying because of the money, I would apply. What money you spend now on applications is a drop in the bucket in the long run, even though it may seem like alot now. You cannot predict what sort of MCAT score you're going to get, but waiting for it to submit your secondaries is going to put you past deadlines and delay your application big time at most programs.

If you don't get in on your first try, applying again does not at all hurt your chances. In fact, your chances can be improved if you go retake the MCAT the third time and apply a second time. Do some research, hang loose, and program directors will see all the determination you're showing to get into their programs. There are plenty of stories of first time rejects/multi-MCAT takers at the top MD/PhD programs.

Neuronix said:
If you're on the fence about applying because of the money, I would apply. What money you spend now on applications is a drop in the bucket in the long run, even though it may seem like alot now. You cannot predict what sort of MCAT score you're going to get, but waiting for it to submit your secondaries is going to put you past deadlines and delay your application big time at most programs.

If you don't get in on your first try, applying again does not at all hurt your chances. In fact, your chances can be improved if you go retake the MCAT the third time and apply a second time. Do some research, hang loose, and program directors will see all the determination you're showing to get into their programs. There are plenty of stories of first time rejects/multi-MCAT takers at the top MD/PhD programs.

thanks !! that's kind of what I was thinking, just needed a second opinion! yeah I will be bold and apply !! :cool:

I am so paranoid--I haven't seen my new MCAT score yet. But again, due to financial constraints I am only applying to 8 MD/PhD programs. Duke, Mt. Sinai, Vandy, Texas A & M, UT-Galveston, Medical College of Georgia, Emory, Tufts. If my MCAT score is good (32+ with a minimum VR of 8) I will probably apply to more. But fingers crossed here. I also figured that I have been reading those passages too fast to get necessary details to quickly answer the questions--good to know if there happens to another next time for the MCAT.

I have decided to apply. But I need to finish my AMCAS. If the my MCAT is good, I stand a good chance. If it sucks fair chance.