Hobbies as Extracurricular Activities on VMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MotoMadchen

Pizza is love. Pizza is life.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided that I'll be listing some of my hobbies under extracurricular activities in Experiences. However, I'm unsure what to put under "Organization" for some entries. For example, I've taken piano lessons for many years and listed the teacher/studio I studied under. But I've also been snowboarding every year for the past decade -- not under a particular organization, however, since my dad taught me. What should I put?Should I reference my dad as my supervisor? Any help would be appreciated!

Disclaimer: I feel like this question should have been asked before, but I can't seem to find it when searching the boards. Please forgive me and link me if I'm wrong! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I've decided that I'll be listing some of my hobbies under extracurricular activities in Experiences. However, I'm unsure what to put under "Organization" for some entries. For example, I've taken piano lessons for many years and listed the teacher/studio I studied under. But I've also been snowboarding every year for the past decade -- not under a particular organization, however, since my dad taught me. What should I put?Should I reference my dad as my supervisor? Any help would be appreciated!

Disclaimer: I feel like this question should have been asked before, but I can't seem to find it when searching the boards. Please forgive me and link me if I'm wrong! Thank you!
You could probably just put "none" or "N/A" for the organization and supervisor, but you might try contacting VMCAS and see what they recommend!

I had this question last year... ultimately I don't think it matters as long as it makes sense but I ended up putting "Personal Activity" or "Self" depending on the particular experience. So for like Dog Showing and Writing, I put "personal activity" and for petsitting I put "Self".

When I had my file review they didn't comment on it so I assume that was a perfectly fine way of doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed several hobbies on my VMCAS and I think I literally just used "Personal hobby" as the organization name and "N/A" as supervisor. No one seemed to care. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you make it clear that it was a hobby. Ask VMCAS themselves if you're really unsure, though.

Reactions: 1 users
I listed several hobbies on my VMCAS and I think I literally just used "Personal hobby" as the organization name and "N/A" as supervisor. No one seemed to care. I don't think it's a big deal as long as you make it clear that it was a hobby. Ask VMCAS themselves if you're really unsure, though.
Agree with this and what Finn said. Luckily most of my hobbies were corroborated by weird organizations (like publishing my writing or competing in Speech & Debate tourneys, doing stand up, that kind of thing where there was an actual overseeing body), but if they weren't I just listed myself as the supervisor under the impression that they would get the point. In TMDSAS they actually have a section for hobbies so I included a few more things there than in VMCAS since they had specifically asked.