HKU MBBS Invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDbb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received an interview yet? Non-jupas

Members don't see this ad.

i'm also waiting for an interview invite, though i feel as if my chances are bleak. I have a <3.9 GPA...

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm also waiting for an interview invite, though i feel as if my chances are bleak. I have a <3.9 GPA...

Do you know what conversion chart they use for %?

No idea but I think generally people get in with >3.9 GPA (I'm from Canada). It's very competitive but I applied because it's my top option!!

I also don't know if they take into account North American standardized tests (like the MCAT) into their consideration of the academic profile...

No idea but I think generally people get in with >3.9 GPA (I'm from Canada). It's very competitive but I applied because it's my top option!!

I also don't know if they take into account North American standardized tests (like the MCAT) into their consideration of the academic profile...

So how do you know you have less than 3.9?

So how do you know you have less than 3.9?

Well... I know my own transcript.... and I submitted it to HKU.

Hope they look at the MCAT because that's more competitive than my GPA...

Well... I know my own transcript.... and I submitted it to HKU.

Hope they look at the MCAT because that's more competitive than my GPA...

So your school reports your grades in GPA then? Cause mine is reported in %

So your school reports your grades in GPA then? Cause mine is reported in %

my school does report grades as GPA... are you in Canada at the moment and did you apply this year JDbb?

my school does report grades as GPA... are you in Canada at the moment and did you apply this year JDbb?

Yes and yes... still waiting for a reply ugh why do they take so long

Yes and yes... still waiting for a reply ugh why do they take so long

Are you still in high school or are you in university? I just finished my undergrad and got accepted to a Canadian school, but HK is obviously more attractive.

just got an interview!!! for HKU. So pumped.

Same here, I also got an interview offer from HKU. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing yet :( Did you guys get an e-mail or a call?

By email. Do you guys mind sharing your academic qualifications?

i have ~3.9 GPA from mcgill.
MCAT score 38S.
variety of ECs

i have ~3.9 GPA from mcgill.
MCAT score 38S.
variety of ECs

Congrats on the MCAT score, I would imagine you have a good chance. If you don't mind me asking what's your major and which ECs did you do?

Congrats on the MCAT score, I would imagine you have a good chance. If you don't mind me asking what's your major and which ECs did you do?

What are your stats?

And did your application status change or is it still "under consideration?"

i majored in honors biochemistry
- i've got some research under my belt, i was the president of biochemistry, hospital stuff as well.

and my canto is a bit rusty, we'll see what happens at the interview!

What are your stats?

And did your application status change or is it still "under consideration?"

mine still says under consideration...

JDbb are you still in high school? maybe they do high school and university graduates independently...

JDbb are you still in high school? maybe they do high school and university graduates independently...
Have no idea. And mine also says under consideration

i majored in honors biochemistry
- i've got some research under my belt, i was the president of biochemistry, hospital stuff as well.

and my canto is a bit rusty, we'll see what happens at the interview!

mine still says under consideration...

Nice, I'm biochemistry too but not honors. I'm guessing you're senior?

My canto is still lacking as well, I hope they don't ask me too speak too much... I heard from a person from early admissions scheme (got 7A) had to answer Hong Kong policy in Canto...

Last edited:
I suppose I will share my experience last year for HKU interview.

In fact, you must converse in Cantonese for a part of the interview at HKU. They ask you to translate several medical-related terms from English to Cantonese, like "C-section" or "abortion". The interview panel consists of 3 professors, usually practitioners, and each of them take turns to ask you several questions. You should expect to be asked a lot of personal questions, and at least one ethical question. Most importantly, they WILL ask you about Hong Kong news, so do pay attention to the news, especially the headlines and medical-related ones. Lastly, stay composed and don't panic, because they are not only looking for intelligent answers, but also how well you can carry out a conversation. So make sure you don't sound like a robot regurgitating memorized scripts!!

I suppose I will share my experience last year for HKU interview.

In fact, you must converse in Cantonese for a part of the interview at HKU. They ask you to translate several medical-related terms from English to Cantonese, like "C-section" or "abortion". The interview panel consists of 3 professors, usually practitioners, and each of them take turns to ask you several questions. You should expect to be asked a lot of personal questions, and at least one ethical question. Most importantly, they WILL ask you about Hong Kong news, so do pay attention to the news, especially the headlines and medical-related ones. Lastly, stay composed and don't panic, because they are not only looking for intelligent answers, but also how well you can carry out a conversation. So make sure you don't sound like a robot regurgitating memorized scripts!!

Thank you for sharing your experience! This really helps a lot!

I applied for the fast track scheme and had an interview in Dec. My application status still says under consideration right now. Have any of you guys heard back yet?

Have attended the interview in mid-June and would like to know if anyone have heard back from them/got any result on giving out of offer?

Thanks.

I attended the interview mid-June as well, but nothing yet. Still waiting. Same for you?

Also, when did you interview? The 11th or the 12th? Mine was on the 12th at around 3:30.

I had my interview at end of Dec. but still says under consideration for me. I can't believe how long this is taking them

Hi guys
I interviewed in mid June, and have forgotten to check this forum. I'm updating you guys to tell you that my Application status was changed last week (like Sunday the 8th?) to "Firm Offer" and I have received my official letter via e-mail today.

The waiting game sucks - hope I'll see some of you next year!

Hey 8jmyl, I was reading some of your posts and want to mention DO schools in the US if you're interested.

Hi guys
I interviewed in mid June, and have forgotten to check this forum. I'm updating you guys to tell you that my Application status was changed last week (like Sunday the 8th?) to "Firm Offer" and I have received my official letter via e-mail today.

The waiting game sucks - hope I'll see some of you next year!

Hi, congratulations mate. I am also joining the MBBS programme in September. I hope to see you there soon. :D

Hey 8jmyl, I was reading some of your posts and want to mention DO schools in the US if you're interested.

Hey mate, thanks for the suggestion but I'm not too interested right now. I haven't really done my research on them to be honest, but I want to keep trying for MD right now.

Anybody else's status still say under consideration?