HKU MBBS 2012 Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktan29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I want to pursue the MBBS course at HK in 2012 and hope that you guys could give me some information. This year, I am studying Veterinary Science at University of Queensland in Australia. The universities here use a scale similar to the IB, i.e. 1,2 and 3 is fail, 4 is pass, 5 is good, 6 is distinction and 7 is high distinction, I am told. I've heard that for transfer from first year university to HKU, you pretty much need a 3.9/4. How can I calculate the scaled GPA threshold given by my university? Is it a matter of using ratios for converting the scores? Also, after undertaking one year of university, will my high school results affect my application? I did the IB. (Also, does anyone know the required IB to get into Medicine @ HKU?) And is UMAT required? Will people studying science courses get preference over non-science courses? For those who study medicine @ HKU, what do you think of the course? Is it rigorous? Are they any breaks/vacations? For the NON-JUPAS entrances how many people could enter HKU in 2010? (Does anyone know where they publicize the information?)

Thanks!

ktan29

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying for 2012 entry as well! I'm from Canada so not sure how they will calculate your grades, have you tried e-mailing/calling the admissions office to find out?

wonder if there are anyone else applying to HKU MBBS (non jupas).... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying from Canada too! I'm really not that confident in getting in but figured that I will give it a try anyway.

what are you guys studying? and which year are you in? :rolleyes:

I've just heard that HKU has a new 3-year vs 4-year curriculum this year. (ie 5 or 6 years for MBBS program) Can anyone shed some light on this?

Hey guys,

I'm also applying from Canada and just received an email for an interview on December 19 (I applied for the fast track admission).
Wonder if any of you guys have heard back yet as well.
Also, do you guys have any idea how competitive it is to receive an interview?

I got the invite too. However, I most likely cannot make it to HK in time on Dec 19th.
Does anyone know how open they are to rescheduling?
Also, anyone who has been to an interview last year, how much of the interview was conducted in Cantonese?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys! I'm currently studying my first year at CUHK so I don't know how helpful my input will be.

Nevertheless, here're some of my thoughts (not in any order):

1) I applied to HKU 2 years ago. Just prior to entering the interview room, there was a HUGE sign-up sheet, which means they actually interview quite a few applicants. Make sure you shine in your interview by reading up on some ethics books - I'm from Canada and I think every Canadian read Doing Right by some author from UT.

2) Interview questions vary from generic questions like "Why do you want to be a doctor?" to challenging ones like "Compare the healthcare systems of Hong Kong and the UK and state the pros and cons of each one." So do brush up your knowledge on healthcare and current news.

3) Both CU and HKU are increasing the class size from 180 (this year) to 220 (class of 2017). So you guys actually have a better shot at this! We also feel that there are an increasing number of NON-JUPAS applicants in class - my class is roughly 1/3 NON-JUPAS, 1/3 EAS (early admission scheme), and 1/3 JUPAS (finished Form 6 and 7).

4) Interview is 95% English. But a few of my friends and I had to speak a few phrases in Cantonese just to prove that we could communicate in Chinese. If you haven't taken any Chinese course in high school, you might also need to write a "Chinese proficiency test" (for CUHK) where you have to read a Chinese newspaper article and write some personal response for it in Chinese. Don't worry too much about it because I felt that it was just for show haha.

5) HKU and CUHK have very different curriculums during pre-clinical years. At CUHK, we were bombarded with anatomy and what they call foundation studies, which is pretty much a mix of biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology, histology and physiology during the first term. On the other hand, the first semester at HKU seemed much more relaxed because their first term consisted of a general intro course to everything that they were about to learn. So be prepared to face very different lives if you get into one school but not the other!

That's all I can think of for now. I received lots of helpful advice from this forum before I got into med, so feel free to PM me if you guys have any questions!

any news for HKU BDS 2012 intake ?
any progress among those people u know who applied it ? thanks =)

Did anyone applying to HKU (regular stream, not the fast-track one) hear back yet?

I haven't even heard back from the fast track stream so I doubt there is anything for regular-stream yet

Applied a bit late...around the 20th of jan, still waiting for the notice of an interview....:\
How good are my chances of getting accepted with these grades?:

Maths(AS)-A
Biology(AS)-A
Physics(AS)-A
Chemistry(AS)-B

Hi everyone, I am 30 years old and got my PhD at Columbia University in biomedical sciences in 2011 and now doing cancer research at Harvard. I am thinking to become a medical doctor. I wonder if I am too old to start the medical school in HKU (or CUHK). And do you think HKU may not accept people with high degree like PhD to medical school? Any advice and comments are welcome:)

Applied a bit late...around the 20th of jan, still waiting for the notice of an interview....:\
How good are my chances of getting accepted with these grades?:

Maths(AS)-A
Biology(AS)-A
Physics(AS)-A
Chemistry(AS)-B

To be honest with you, your chance is pretty slim as entry to the University of Hong Kong via the non judas stream is extremely competitive. For an interview, you will need an average of ~285/300 in your AS levels which is even higher than the Oxbridge standard. Nonetheless, if you don't apply, you won't get in. I wish you the best of luck.

How many of you applying to the MBBS program already have a B.S. degree from Canada or the United States? Is it possible to waive out of the first year with that and still get ECFMG certified?

Hi everyone, I am 30 years old and got my PhD at Columbia University in biomedical sciences in 2011 and now doing cancer research at Harvard. I am thinking to become a medical doctor. I wonder if I am too old to start the medical school in HKU (or CUHK). And do you think HKU may not accept people with high degree like PhD to medical school? Any advice and comments are welcome:)

Hi, we have a medical student in year 1 with PhD this year @CUHK. Yes 30 years old is older but I personally doubt a PhD will deter you from getting in. If anything I would think it's a bonus. We also have students entering who are professionals already (i.e. dentist, accountant).