Hillary Clinton wants to socialize healthcare!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sirus: Yes, we are more obese. However, are we getting more care for these obese people? No, we aren't (look at my previous message -- we don't have more doctors, we don't have more nurses, and obese people are not getting to see physicians more often than slim people are in other countries). Show me that Americans overall are actually getting more visits and care. Be sure to include the uninsured in your statistics (people who cannot afford to see physicians). We also speak more English than the rest of the world, and we eat more cheeseburgers, but we aren't getting more care, even though we might be sicker.

All I am saying is that it might be an unreasonable expectation to have of our healthcare system that we rank #1 when the society is unhealthy to begin with. That is like showing up for a horse race on a donkey. It will allso be unreasonable to expect us to spend similar amounts of money on healthcare if we have more unhealthy people to begin with. Lastly, it is unreasonable to expect that providing more treatment is the way to cure our obesity problem. IMO this is a cultural problem that is strangling our healthcare system. How could we allow ourselves average 4 to 5 times more in obesity than other countries out there.:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

agreed. the obesity epidemic, diabetes, hypertension, CVD - it's all due to our bad diet and sedentary lifestyle. so that's why the U.S. is something like 30th in the world in healthcare based on mortality, infant weight, and some other things I forgot. we don't prevent the fires like the other countries do their good eating and exercising habits and what not, but we sure do have the best firefighters (acute care, oncologists, surgeons, you know what i mean.)

We can't support everyone indefinitely with unlimited resources going to unlimited treatments.

I thought universal coverage was going to kill us all by rationing care.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I am saying is that it might be an unreasonable expectation to have of our healthcare system that we rank #1 when the society is unhealthy to begin with. That is like showing up for a horse race on a donkey. It will allso be unreasonable to expect us to spend similar amounts of money on healthcare if we have more unhealthy people to begin with. Lastly, it is unreasonable to expect that providing more treatment is the way to cure our obesity problem. IMO this is a cultural problem that is strangling our healthcare system. How could we allow ourselves average 4 to 5 times more in obesity than other countries out there.:scared:

While our outcomes might not be as positive with all this obesity, there is no reason to then say that we then necessarily should be charged 2X what everyone is paying and then get less care on top of it. I realize that with obesity, we are in trouble, but that doesn't mean we now should be charged more and given less care. If we were getting more care because of obesity, then I would agree that the additional cost is justified. However, no one who has studied the cost of healthcare in any level of detail has ever concluded that we are spending more because we are obese. That has never been tied to the 2X cost increase, although it could account for a smaller increase in cost. Also, the obesity spike is somewhat recent, and experts are telling us that this is going to affect us more in the future than it does now.

Is there a possibility of raking in more $$$ in universal healthcare?

Is there a possibility of raking in more $$$ in universal healthcare?

It probably depends on what area you are going into. It is my expectation that, overall, physician income adjusted for inflation will decline maybe 1% per year under any system (see for example http://www.hschange.com/CONTENT/851/ -- not related to Universal Healthcare). The reason that I believe it will decline is that there will be increasing pressure on the cost of healthcare and, in my experience, physicians generally lack top 5% business skills and acumen (what do you expect from guys/gals who have been selected on the basis of and devoted their lives to learning massive quantities of clinical information?) and are in a very weak negotiating position compared to say, insurance companies and drug companies (which choose much of their staff solely on the basis of the ability to generate cash by squeezing suppliers and customers). If you are not generating great cash returns at a pharmaceutical company or health insurance company, you get shown the door. If you have poor cash returns as a physician, you just lope along.

There are some very business-wise physicians out there, but that probably is not the norm. Thus, as the public demands less expensive care while their needs increase, insurance companies will squeeze physicians financially, not unlike what is going on now. Physicians don't know what hit them right now and won't now 10 years from now either IMO. Under universal care reform will most likely involve private insurance companies, which will charge a large administrative and profit margin much like they do today. To maintain their profit margins and increase them further while covering more people, they will squeeze physicians much more unless something changes. Under single payer, I would also expect physicians to get beaten up in negotiations because the AMA is very weak business-wise and I don't see physicians organizing the purchase of their services (maybe as physician pay drops, this will change). Maybe getting an MBA would help, but it's really hard to learn practical business skills in the classroom.

I don't think the public is willing to pay more for care in the future. Unless physicians start dramatically improving the way that they negotiate pay, there is very little that they can do to improve their compensation. There are certain fields, like dermatology and plastic surgery that do a fair amount of cosmetic work, and I would expect compensation to increase very nicely in those areas. Radiologists supposedly have controlled their numbers and kept wages up as well. So if you have the scores, letters, etc., you can probably get into an area with great compensation. You may also wish to assess the business skills of your physician group leaders and willingness to share the love before you sign on.

With all the above considered, there is a possibility that due to the law of supply and demand (fixed supply of physicians, large demand by and of patients) that physicians would be in a stronger position under universal healthcare with more patients in the system and less uncompensated care (charity, EMTALA, etc.) that physician pay could rise under universal healthcare, but I would not count on that beyond maybe an initial spike in income when the new system first starts and no one realizes that we can't just scale up what we are doing now and expect to be able to pay for it.

You make a good point. Physicians have to operate like business men, but typically have no clue how to manage a business. Physicians can't even tell when they are loosing or gaining most of the time. Take the Arnold healthcare proposal for example. I will be damned if some physicians didn't argue that this plan was some how going to increase their income. My fear is that everyone else in the industry(insurance, pharmaceutical, hmo, lawyers etc) are pretty sharp and bent on securing their own profits. So doctors are like sheep walking amongst wolves. IMO there is a need for an aggressive union now.

You make a good point. Physicians have to operate like business men, but typically have no clue how to manage a business. Physicians can't even tell when they are loosing or gaining most of the time. Take the Arnold healthcare proposal for example. I will be damned if some physicians didn't argue that this plan was some how going to increase their income. My fear is that everyone else in the industry(insurance, pharmaceutical, hmo, lawyers etc) are pretty sharp and bent on securing their own profits. So doctors are like sheep walking amongst wolves. IMO there is a need for an aggressive union now.

An aggressive union is the right idea to increase physician pay but the wrong vehicle. You can't be a member of a union as an independent contractor. It doesn't work. It is illegal (antitrust). Doctors are basically supervisors/management and can't even be in a union if they were employees unless they have no leadership role (can't write orders!).

I'm unsure what the exact solution is. Here is my uninformed guess of one approach that might work: Band into large groups (actual businesses) that then negotiate with insurance companies. A large group of, say 100-1000 physicians (wouldn't need to be same specialty, but it might keep things simpler if it was) isn't going to be a pushover and could hire the best lawyers to do their negotiation on rates for the entire practice. They could also hire the best business people to make sure that marketing and other decisions are made to generate the most cash and best quality of care (or whatever the physicians want). This might also provide for better medical malpractice rates (I'm unsure). They might be able to sign exclusive agreements with insurance companies, which could be extremely valuable and drive up physician rates if that is the goal because this one insurance company (or cash) would be the only way to hire physicians in that practice. That insurance company could charge a high rate and pass high reimbursables on to physicians.

I'm also not sure how Medicare / Medicaid would be handled; that might depend on the specialty of the physicians involved. They might choose only to do certain profitable procedures or decline Medicare/Medicaid altogether in some cases. The sad thing about this is that it turns physicians into "profit centers" and could significantly hurt the image of physicians and could hurt their relationship with patients. With care, it might be possible to balance the various considerations without tarnishing what a physician represents.

Individual physicians would be paid based on the group's policies. Extreme care would need to be taken so that they don't represent a monopoly (each locale would need to have other physicians who are not part of the group, e.g., part of another large group or just independents). Also political skills such as large contributions to PACs are a given. I'm sure there are all kinds of other laws that would need be considered.

However, based on my experience with physician groups (particularly surgeons) getting such cooperation and, heaven forbid, that some businessperson would be telling physicians what to do based on profitability would be like herding cats. The egos might be larger than the desire to earn a decent living. But who knows, maybe we're onto something here.

Also, before someone starts slamming me for driving up the cost of healthcare, keep in mind that I'm aiming for academic medicine (big on hours, low on pay) so direct your attacks at someone who is actually looking to make a buck. I see nothing wrong with physicians being well compensated for what they do, even if compensation is not my personal focus. Well compensated physicians can always give to charity or give free service if that's their personal desire. It's a free country and the motivations for going into medicine vary. Some exceptional physicians (who can perform delicate procedures with high quality that few others can match) have excellent financial compensation as career requirement.

It's ironic that the biggest roadblock to increased healthcare access in this country are the physicians themselves. :rolleyes:

The status quo of healthcare in this country can't continue indefinitely. It's a broken system. Some sort of universal healthcare is inevitable, either from Republicans or Democrats. I envision a two-tier system, a free public one and a private one. Salaries will head lower no doubt. If you didn't know that was the trend before going into medical school, it's your fault.

Physicians should fight socialized medicine to the death. Don't let these corrupt government bastards take control of our occupation.

An aggressive union is the right idea to increase physician pay but the wrong vehicle. You can't be a member of a union as an independent contractor. It doesn't work. It is illegal (antitrust). Doctors are basically supervisors/management and can't even be in a union if they were employees unless they have no leadership role (can't write orders!).

I'm unsure what the exact solution is. Here is my uninformed guess of one approach that might work: Band into large groups (actual businesses) that then negotiate with insurance companies. A large group of, say 100-1000 physicians (wouldn't need to be same specialty, but it might keep things simpler if it was) isn't going to be a pushover and could hire the best lawyers to do their negotiation on rates for the entire practice. They could also hire the best business people to make sure that marketing and other decisions are made to generate the most cash and best quality of care (or whatever the physicians want). This might also provide for better medical malpractice rates (I'm unsure). They might be able to sign exclusive agreements with insurance companies, which could be extremely valuable and drive up physician rates if that is the goal because this one insurance company (or cash) would be the only way to hire physicians in that practice. That insurance company could charge a high rate and pass high reimbursables on to physicians.

I'm also not sure how Medicare / Medicaid would be handled; that might depend on the specialty of the physicians involved. They might choose only to do certain profitable procedures or decline Medicare/Medicaid altogether in some cases. The sad thing about this is that it turns physicians into "profit centers" and could significantly hurt the image of physicians and could hurt their relationship with patients. With care, it might be possible to balance the various considerations without tarnishing what a physician represents.

Individual physicians would be paid based on the group's policies. Extreme care would need to be taken so that they don't represent a monopoly (each locale would need to have other physicians who are not part of the group, e.g., part of another large group or just independents). Also political skills such as large contributions to PACs are a given. I'm sure there are all kinds of other laws that would need be considered.

However, based on my experience with physician groups (particularly surgeons) getting such cooperation and, heaven forbid, that some businessperson would be telling physicians what to do based on profitability would be like herding cats. The egos might be larger than the desire to earn a decent living. But who knows, maybe we're onto something here.

Also, before someone starts slamming me for driving up the cost of healthcare, keep in mind that I'm aiming for academic medicine (big on hours, low on pay) so direct your attacks at someone who is actually looking to make a buck. I see nothing wrong with physicians being well compensated for what they do, even if compensation is not my personal focus. Well compensated physicians can always give to charity or give free service if that's their personal desire. It's a free country and the motivations for going into medicine vary. Some exceptional physicians (who can perform delicate procedures with high quality that few others can match) have excellent financial compensation as career requirement.

Once again it is not illegal to unionize. Independent contractors are bound by antitrust laws from collective price negotitions. Physicians need an aggresive collective voice for many other reasons. There are worse things than losing pay that could happen to physicians in a highly regulated industry like medicine. As we speak, an innocent doctor could get arrested and prosecuted for prescribing pain killers in a way that "raises suspicion". Skyrocketing medical malpractice premiums is another example. We need to make sure outside forces do not entirely determine the way physicians practice medicine. If we do go to a single payer system, antitrust limitations will be dropped and we could negotiate price as a union. As we move to change our healthcare system to universal or whatever, an aggressive physicians union is necessary to make sure physicians are not getting screwed by this new system(and there are many ways physicians could get screwed by a new system). Physicians are in danger of loosing complete control of their profession, the time is right for an aggressive union.

Once again it is not illegal to unionize. Independent contractors are bound by antitrust laws from collective price negotitions. ...

Sounds like you aren't giving the FTC enough credit. What you are suggesting is like jumping into a pot of burning oil from a legal standpoint. Here are two of numerous actions. If these physicians had all been employees of the same company (what I suggested) and that company's management or hired help included some of the best and most aggressive attorneys around (tabacco industry lawyers, etc.) who would fight the FTC every step of the way and make sure that legislators where making appropriate phone calls on their behalf, there would not have been an issue. Expert international bankers (Swiss?) who protected assets would also be key. It would have involved legal action that went on for decades and a lack of assets that could be seized. They don't want to shut you down because then patients would die. Part of the key is also where the company is incorporated (Bahamas, Nevada, etc.) and how it is structured (anonymous or no owners; negotiation rules & non-disclosure requirements). The bad thing about being part of a large company is then your management could hold down your pay, so there are plusses and minuses to anything; the beast could easily turn on you. Antitrust is like the neurosurgery; extreme care and dexterity are required; brute force never works.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/07/wupn.htm
Federal Trade Commission Settles Price-Fixing Charges Against Washington University Physician Network

Non-profit Corporation Includes 900 Faculty, 600 Independent Physicians in St. Louis Area

The Federal Trade Commission announced today that it has settled charges that a large physicians' organization in the St. Louis, Missouri, greater metropolitan area engaged in price-fixing on behalf of its members. The proposed consent order with the Washington University Physician Network (WUPN), a non-profit corporation that includes approximately 1,500 faculty and independent community doctors, is designed to remedy the group's allegedly anticompetitive collective bargaining practices. According to the FTC, such conduct is detrimental to consumers in the St. Louis area, and has resulted in higher prices for the services WUPN's doctors provide.

"This group of St. Louis-area physicians engaged in overt price-fixing," said Joe Simons, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Its conduct was plainly anticompetitive and harmful to consumers, by forcing up prices in the area. It is a straightforward violation of the FTC Act."

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/05/nmo.htm
FTC Halts Physician Price-Fixing in Cincinnati Area

New Millennium Orthopaedics Allegedly Coordinated Fee Agreements Among its Doctors

The Federal Trade Commission today announced a consent order settling charges that an independent practice association, representing two orthopaedic groups in Cincinnati, Ohio, violated antitrust laws by jointly negotiating contracts regarding the rates its physician members would charge health plans and other payors for their services. Under the terms of the order, New Millennium Orthopaedics, LLC (NMO) will be disbanded and its two constituent groups will be prohibited from similar collective bargaining in the future.

The consent order announced today settles the Commission's complaint against the following respondents: NMO; Orthopaedic Consultants of Cincinnati, Inc., d/b/a Wellington Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine (Wellington), and Beacon Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine (Beacon).

(I could go on and on for pages and pages ... as I've already proven)

I think we have the answer. The FTC is assymetrically regulating antitrust issues against physicians and not the insurance companies. First step here would be to make formal complaints to the FTC via attorneys. Next step would be a class action lawsuit against the FTC.

From marketwatch.com:

Health insurers build up market clout
New evidence raises fears that local monopolies forming

By Russ Britt, MarketWatch
Last Update: 1:40 PM ET Apr 17, 2006

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Consolidation among health insurers is creating near-monopolies in virtually all reaches of the U.S. - with the most dominant firms grabbing more market share by several percentage points a year - according to a study released Monday.
Data from the American Medical Association shows that in each of 43 states, a handful of top insurers have gained such a stronghold that their markets are considered "highly concentrated" under Department of Justice guidelines, often far exceeding the thresholds that trigger antitrust concerns.
The study also shows that in 166 of 294 metropolitan areas, or 56%, a single insurer controls more than half the business in health maintenance organization (HMO) and preferred provider networks (PPO) underwriting.
"This problem is widespread across the country and it needs to be looked at," said Dr. Jim Rohack, an AMA trustee and physician in Temple, Texas. "The choices that patients have now are more difficult."
The AMA study cited a Justice Department benchmark in citing antitrust concerns, the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index, or HHI. A score above 1,000 shows "moderate" concentration. Those scoring above 1,800 yield a "high" concentration.
Figures show that 95% of the 294 HMO/PPO metropolitan markets studied were above 1,800. Raise that HHI bar even higher to 3,000 and yet more than half, or 67%, rise above it.
The AMA study is the latest piece of evidence -- and most comprehensive to date -- showing the market power of a few companies, and a large number of regional non-profit Blue Cross operations, is formidable and growing. And it comes at a time when premiums continue to grow at near double-digit rates.
Critics say that carriers are not only creating monopolies and oligopolies in many regions, they also control the other side of the equation in what is known as monopsony power. That means in addition to having the most enrollees, they're also the biggest purchasers of health care and can dictate prices and coverage terms.
It also makes it harder for new carriers to emerge as pricing already has been set by the dominant carrier.
That's particularly true in North Dakota, where the state's Blue Cross Blue Shield provider has, by various estimates, a roughly 90% share of the market, said Insurance Commissioner Jim Poolman. New carriers would have to pay more to health-care providers and charge less to policyholders to gain a foothold.
In North Dakota, there isn't much incentive for that, he added.
"It's difficult in a market of 640,000 people to write new insurance policies," Poolman said.
400 mergers
The AMA says there have been more than 400 mergers among health-care insurers in the past decade. As they've consolidated and presumably eliminated duplicative functions, they're not passing the savings in personnel and administrative costs on to consumers. Rate increases, though slowing, are higher than ever and growing at a near double-digit pace.
See related story on consumer impact of health-care mergers.
Studies by the Kaiser Family Foundation show double-digit premium hikes from 2001 to 2004 -- peaking with a 13.9% jump in 2003 -- have soared well above inflation and wages. Those categories have risen at rates less than a half to less than one-fifth that of insurance premiums, Kaiser says.
Last year, the string of double-digit jumps was broken but was close to that level with a 9.2% increase, the Kaiser study said. The foundation is not affiliated with the non-profit HMO of the same name.
Some health insurance analysts have said the recent uptick in premiums is part of an "underwriting cycle" in which carriers go through a period of boosting profits, and then ease up on premium increases for several years. See related story.
But Gary Claxton, vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation, contends fewer insurers mean the need for underwriting cycles has diminished. And it's likely that carriers will settle on the high side when it comes to premium increases.
"They won't get down to cost," he said. "They see it as their collective right not to cut prices too much."
David Colby, chief financial officer for WellPoint Inc. -- the nation's largest carrier, disagreed. He said medical cost increases have forced his company to hike premiums, adding the percentage his company spends on actual medical care has remained constant in recent years.
"Our premiums are pretty much tracking what medical costs are doing," he said.
See interactive charts on the AMA study data.
Regulators uninterested?
The AMA says it has taken up this antitrust issue with the U.S. Department of Justice but says it has run into roadblocks with regulators. AMA officials say regulators seem uninterested, even though government officials are more than willing to target doctors' groups and hospitals on antitrust matters.
Justice Department officials did not respond to requests for comment.
A former Justice official says, however, that the health insurance market doesn't operate by normal rules. Constance K. Robinson, the department's former director of operations, says there are a number of issues to consider when deciding if competition is hampered in a particular market.
A single carrier may have naturally accumulated huge market share as more consumers became less enchanted with rivals or a dominant carrier could be keeping medical costs down. Managed care plans have fallen into disfavor in many cases as well.
So if numbers show a high concentration of market power, there may be more to the story, she said.
"The answer any antitrust lawyer should tell you is, it depends," said Robinson, who left the department in late 2003 to become an antitrust lawyer in the private sector. "Health care is not a so-called normal market. You have different drivers."

The difference is that the insurance companies are greasing the palms of legislators and government officials much more effectively than the AMA is. Also, it seems like the insurance companies are doing a better job on the legal front (have better lawyers and more of them). Why do you think the FTC is coming after physician practices in the first place: insurance companies making a few well-placed phone calls. Until this changes, physician pay will continue to go down and private insurance company profits (and CEO pay) will continue to go up.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-court5jan05,0,6760586.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail
Any plan to reform healthcare must tackle the biggest obstacle to insuring everyone -- private insurers.
By Jamie Court and Judy Dugan, JAMIE COURT is president of the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights (www.consumerwatchdog.org), based in Santa Monica. JUDY DUGAN is its research director.
January 5, 2007

WHEN Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, on crutches, unveils his expected grand redesign of the state's health insurance system Monday, he must tackle the biggest obstacle to insuring the uninsured: insurance companies.

The governor said recently that California's high number of uninsured residents — about one in five — acts as a hidden tax on the insured by forcing them to pay higher premiums, deductibles and co-pays. He has strongly hinted that he favors a system requiring individuals to buy health insurance, as well as assuring coverage for all children in the state (who constitute about 12% of the uninsured).

But he's said nothing about reforming insurance companies or HMOs.

Schwarzenegger's experience with health insurers is not your average citizen's. Anyone as rich as he is doesn't have to worry about medical expenses. He and his surgeon surely didn't have to seek permission for treatment. They didn't have to argue with a cost-control center demanding something cheaper — such as outpatient surgery. The governor won't fear that his insurer will retroactively cancel his policy or double his premiums because of the surgery.

Not only is Schwarzenegger immune to most people's struggles with insurers, he's also enjoyed nearly
$1 million in direct political contributions from them, according to public contribution reports.

Insurance companies know that if you want the laws and enforcement to go your way, you need to invest in the political system ... invest financially that is. I'm not sure if physicians are willing to pony up that much cash on a regular basis for political contributions and are willing to put their egos aside to organize against private insurance companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you aren't giving the FTC enough credit. What you are suggesting is like jumping into a pot of burning oil from a legal standpoint. Here are two of numerous actions. If these physicians had all been employees of the same company (what I suggested) and that company's management or hired help included some of the best and most aggressive attorneys around (tabacco industry lawyers, etc.) who would fight the FTC every step of the way and make sure that legislators where making appropriate phone calls on their behalf, there would not have been an issue. Expert international bankers (Swiss?) who protected assets would also be key. It would have involved legal action that went on for decades and a lack of assets that could be seized. They don't want to shut you down because then patients would die. Part of the key is also where the company is incorporated (Bahamas, Nevada, etc.) and how it is structured (anonymous or no owners; negotiation rules & non-disclosure requirements). The bad thing about being part of a large company is then your management could hold down your pay, so there are plusses and minuses to anything; the beast could easily turn on you. Antitrust is like the neurosurgery; extreme care and dexterity are required; brute force never works.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/07/wupn.htm
Federal Trade Commission Settles Price-Fixing Charges Against Washington University Physician Network

Non-profit Corporation Includes 900 Faculty, 600 Independent Physicians in St. Louis Area

The Federal Trade Commission announced today that it has settled charges that a large physicians' organization in the St. Louis, Missouri, greater metropolitan area engaged in price-fixing on behalf of its members. The proposed consent order with the Washington University Physician Network (WUPN), a non-profit corporation that includes approximately 1,500 faculty and independent community doctors, is designed to remedy the group's allegedly anticompetitive collective bargaining practices. According to the FTC, such conduct is detrimental to consumers in the St. Louis area, and has resulted in higher prices for the services WUPN's doctors provide.

"This group of St. Louis-area physicians engaged in overt price-fixing," said Joe Simons, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Its conduct was plainly anticompetitive and harmful to consumers, by forcing up prices in the area. It is a straightforward violation of the FTC Act."

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/05/nmo.htm
FTC Halts Physician Price-Fixing in Cincinnati Area

New Millennium Orthopaedics Allegedly Coordinated Fee Agreements Among its Doctors

The Federal Trade Commission today announced a consent order settling charges that an independent practice association, representing two orthopaedic groups in Cincinnati, Ohio, violated antitrust laws by jointly negotiating contracts regarding the rates its physician members would charge health plans and other payors for their services. Under the terms of the order, New Millennium Orthopaedics, LLC (NMO) will be disbanded and its two constituent groups will be prohibited from similar collective bargaining in the future.

The consent order announced today settles the Commission's complaint against the following respondents: NMO; Orthopaedic Consultants of Cincinnati, Inc., d/b/a Wellington Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine (Wellington), and Beacon Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine (Beacon).

(I could go on and on for pages and pages ... as I've already proven)

Again, why are you preaching to the choir? I just told you the union would not immediately serve to negotiate pay until we switch to a universal type healthcare system. It will also be there to protect physician interests in the moulding process of such a system, something the AMA is not capable of doing. In the meantime such a union could be fighing to gain back control of the profession. Unionizing is not illegal.

BTW, there are lobbies and legal challenges to exempt physicians from antitrust limitations in the present system for the purpose of negotiating pay. An aggressive union could pursue that too.

Again, why are you preaching to the choir? I just told you the union would not immediately serve to negotiate pay until we switch to a universal type healthcare system. It will also be there to protect physician interests in the moulding process of such a system, something the AMA is not capable of doing. In the meantime such a union could be fighing to gain back control of the profession. Unionizing is not illegal.

BTW, there are lobbies and legal challenges to exempt physicians from antitrust limitations in the present system for the purpose of negotiating pay. An aggressive union could pursue that too.

Hmm. There is still some miscommunication here. What's confusing me is that you think that physicians can form a union that can actually do very much for physicians. This is an active area of law (changing to & fro) with not much for physicians to celebrate. While there are organizations that call themselves unions and appear to represent physicians, but, as far as I can tell, they don't act like unions in a strong sense. While you can join together with other physicians to negotiate fees with insurers in some states like Texas (yay!), this does not appear to be a union in the sense that you seem to be suggesting (there is some limited authorization for small bands of physicians to negotiate with insurance companies). It makes no difference how many "payers" there are. There are several reasons why unionization of physicians is difficult, starting with the fact that any near-term universal care will not make physicians government employees and going on to the fact that a worker with management or supervisory responsibility generally cannot be represented by a union.

Even many nurses (who are supervised by physicians) cannot unionize:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/03/AR2006100301535.html

Some Workers Change Collars
NLRB Rules Some Nurses Are Supervisors, a Potential Blow to Unions

By Dale Russakoff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 4, 2006; Page D01

The National Labor Relations Board ruled yesterday that nurses with full-time responsibility for assigning fellow hospital workers to particular tasks are supervisors under federal labor law and thus not eligible to be represented by unions.

The 3-to-2 decision, long awaited by unions and businesses, sets a new standard for determining who is a supervisor in the modern economy and could have significant implications for efforts by labor unions to organize nurses in the fast-growing health-care sector. Under federal law, supervisors do not have the right to belong to unions.

Union leader John Sweeney condemned the ruling as a blow to labor. (By Joseph Kaczmarek -- Associated Press)

Labor leaders decried the ruling, with AFL-CIO President John Sweeney saying it "welcomes employers to strip millions of workers of their right to have a union by reclassifying them as 'supervisors' in name only." The labor-backed Economic Policy Institute said the new definition could affect 8 million workers who give direction to fellow workers in fields ranging from construction to accounting.

Physicians forming any kind of union that drives up physician prices to insurers or Medicare will meet swift and aggressive legal action by the FTC, NLRB, and possibly others. Again, the only viable alternative I see is to make physicians employees of large companies that negotiate their fees with insurers and the government. Even this method would require extensive legal maneuvers.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/286/1/83
An Analysis of Physician Antitrust Exemption Legislation
Adjusting the Balance of Power

Fred J. Hellinger, PhD; Gary J. Young, PhD,JD

JAMA. 2001;286:83-88.

Current antitrust law restricts physicians from joining together to collectively negotiate. However, such activities may be approved by state laws under the so-called state action immunity doctrine and by federal legislation under an explicit antitrust exemption.

In 1999, Texas became the first state to pass physician antitrust exemption legislation allowing physicians, under certain defined circumstances, to collectively negotiate fees with health plans. Last year, similar legislation was introduced in the US Congress, in 18 state legislatures, and in the District of Columbia.

"Some physicians already have the opportunity to collectively negotiate. The National Labor Relations Act enacted in 1935 empowers employees to join a union and collectively negotiate.3 Of the 700 000 physicians in the United States, an estimated 100 000 are employees.4-5 Physician antitrust relief legislation is designed to help the 600 000 physicians who are not employees to collectively negotiate with managed care plans.

"In June 1999, Texas became the first state to pass a physician antitrust exemption law when Gov George W. Bush signed Senate bill 1468.6 Last year, physician antitrust exemption legislation was introduced in 18 state legislatures and in the District of Columbia. It passed only in the District of Columbia where its implementation was eventually blocked by the city's financial control board.

"Moreover, a recent decision by the US Supreme Court may make it more difficult for physicians employed by hospitals to join a union and may add momentum to efforts to pass physician antitrust exemption legislation.21 The case focused on whether certain nurses employed by a health care facility were supervisors for purposes of the National Labor Relations Act and thus ineligible to join a union. The court determined that the nurses were supervisors, and this decision may be used by hospitals arguing that physicians on their payroll are supervisors and ineligible to join a union. ...

"Physicians in a group practice may collectively negotiate fees with managed care plans without being subject to charges of price fixing because a group practice is viewed as a single entity by antitrust officials, and it is impossible for a single entity to conspire with itself to fix prices. It is when physicians from different practices join together to negotiate fees with a managed care plan that physicians may be subject to charges of price fixing.

There is some progress being made in this area. There is an "independent labor organization" for physicians that is separate from AMA but was created by the AMA

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2384.html
The AMA founded Physicians for Responsible Negotiation, the only national, independent labor organization created specifically for physicians. PRN was created on the basis that it understood the shared values of the physician community and was committed to protecting medicine's high standards of ethics and professionalism. Physicians who chose to join PRN agreed not to strike or withhold essential medical services. PRN was designed to restore the integrity of the patient-physician relationship, and to ensure the quality and integrity of patient care, reinforce the physician's historic role as patient advocate and make it economically viable for physicians to practice quality medicine. PRN was created by the AMA to empower physicians in an ever more challenging environment. PRN was designed to provide physicians with the information, resources and tools needed to stand up for their profession, for patients, and for quality health care. In early 2004, the AMA and PRN mutually agreed that PRN should operate as an entirely independent organization with no connection to the AMA.

Educational resources, including Antitrust 101;
Additional antitrust information; and
AMA Advocacy efforts

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2002/08/26/prsd0826.htm
http://www.prnseiu.org/aboutprn/index.cfm
http://www.doctorscouncil.com/ourlocal/
http://www.physiciansnews.com/spotlight/302.html NJ passes physician joint negotiation law
http://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/0006/0006.states.html
"Passing a physician negotiation bill is one thing. Implementing it is another. After months of public comment, Texas Attorney General John Cornyn and the Texas Medical Association finally seem satisfied that rules that took effect June 6 can make the state's unique physician negotiation law work the way that it's supposed to.

"Under federal antitrust law, physicians may bargain jointly only if they are financially or clinically integrated. SB 1468, signed last June by Texas Gov. George W. Bush, allows independent competing physicians to negotiate collectively with health plans and avoid violating federal antitrust laws.

"To get around antitrust prohibitions, the Texas law requires negotiations to be conducted under state supervision -- in this case, the attorney general. <<< Good luck scheduling your appointments with the AG.

It looks like the courts and legislatures are giving physicians some very limited rights to negotiate with insurance companies, but no blank check and certainly nothing approaching the collective bargaining rights of, say, factory auto works have. I don't see this changing with single-payer either. It looks like the courts and legislatures occasionally throw physician organizations bone, but nothing sweeping thus far. Maybe efforts like yours will change that over time. Let's see what happens.

That being said, in Texas, it looks like the TMA is going a pretty good job looking out for physicians. Maybe medical associations in other states can share ideas with Texas to improve conditions in each other's respective states:

http://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=4927
Practice Viability
"TMA has earned $1.5 billion in retrospective and prospective relief for physicians through its class action federal antiracketeering lawsuits against Aetna, CIGNA, Humana, WellPoint, Prudential, and Health Net. The association and several other medical societies won significant settlements against those health plans. Throughout 2005, TMA's legal and practice management experts monitored the companies' compliance with the settlements and told physicians how to file complaints when the insurers strayed from their agreements.

"You cannot maintain a viable medical practice unless you are treated fairly by insurance companies and other payers. Thanks to advocacy initiatives by the TMA Council on Socioeconomics with the Texas Department of Insurance in 2005, UnitedHealthcare was fined $4 million in early 2006 for violating the state's prompt payment law.

First, doctors CAN form political organizations and lobbying groups to support their interests. Maybe not a union yet, but we can still form a "national association." (The AMA is too rooted in academic medicine and not in the political nitty-gritty that is needed -- at least, not yet). I like the TMA's attitude. The AMA's "PRN network" is still too soft-- we need to be politically resolute in terms of protecting our autonomy and our patient's well being.

Second, doctors need to donate money towards a large variety of PACs (political action committees)-- AMA has one, AMPAC but it's only one, and not influential enough. These PACs need to work on the city, state and federal level and need to hire experienced lobbyists who know what it takes to influence politicians. The financial administrators of such groups must also have a strict control on the spending and be experienced in how government lobbying works (so our money isn't stolen). We should find ways to help pro-physician politicians to be elected and anti-physician politicians to be booted from office.

Third, the national association needs to heavily advertise on behalf of our interests to the general public. Feature how patients are getting screwed by the current system, how inefficiency and financial pressure are being used by insurance companies to make doctors see an unsafe number of patients, while also damaging the doctor patient relationship. When we can come up with a consensus as to universal (private) health care then we should heavily publicize this as well. Pressure on media outlets, (newspaper, television etc) especially around election time will be helpful.

Fourth, physicians need to be judicially aggressive in protecting fairness in the financial operations of medicine. We should be aggressive in pursuing settlements with insurance companies and the government to either allow large percentages of doctors in a region to collectively bargain, or force health insurance monopolies in regions to split up and compete. If we can't get a fair bargain or settlement, we sue.

Fifth, we need an investigative division to uncover insurance companies who practice deceptively or who delay payments. We also need to spend efforts to understand how insurance companies compete in the political arena.

Sixth -- we have to drop mutual recriminations, and have the vast majority of physicians join such an association.

Seven -- Well there is no seven, I just am amazed that of all people George Bush signed such a law.

Oncocap, I don't get your point. There are presently 26% of physicians not bound by antitrust restrictions on negotiations, and we are not counting resident doctors. That is enough to drive an effective message as we speak. There are bills like Quality Health Care Coalition Act of 1999 that this physicians union could pursue to help increase membership and autinomy. Texas has already passed laws that allow mediated negotiation. You seem to forget that a lot of these restrictions is also premised on the fact that most physicians are independent contractors which will evaporate in a Universal healthcare system. For the last time physicians can form a union if they want to:

http://www.physiciansnews.com/law/497union.html

"At the most basic level, there is a constitutional right to associate and forming something called a "union" is fundamentally no different than forming a County Medical Society or the PPMA."

"The benefits obtained are first determined by whether the doctor is or is not an employee. Since the National Labor Relations Act applies to "labor" or employees, doctors who are employees can reap all of the benefits of union membership—in particular, the right to bargain collectively."

"Doctors who are not employees, who for example have their own practices, cannot bargain collectively whether or not they join a union. Because they are not employees, they do not have the right to bargain collectively and therefore are for that purpose no differently situated than if they were simply members of a Medical Society."

"Physicians who are not employees but are affiliated with a larger union may use that broader bargaining power to lobby or petition the government for health care legislation more to the liking of physicians. Coming together for this purpose is perfectly permissible for all physicians"

If your point is that physicians should sit arround and hope that some magical hand will fight for physicians' interests, then count me out. I believe there are ample means to collectively fight this fight, the question is; are physicians ready to fight? The concept of accepting powerlessness needs to be thrown away.

dutchman -- see what thewebthsp posted right above you. While I agree that we should do what we can to strengthen our profession for everyone (including patients'!) benefits, there must be a strategy that works well. Physicians are not blue collar workers like electricians who can easily unionize. While we should continue to fight for the right to negotiate fees and working conditions, we should be careful about getting too attached to the "union" label. Who cares what the thing is called? Let's get organizations that work and avoid the union label, which has negative connotations for a lot of people anyway. Call it a "National Patient Safety and Quality Care" advocacy group or whatever. Or we could just have the TMA start representing physicians nationally :laugh: -- just kidding. No, we shouldn't sit around, but let's not spin our wheels. Let's build organizations that don't get tripped right out of the gate.

Keep in mind that this is directly OPPOSITE what the stated agenda of the FTC and DOJ are. They want to limit cooperation among providers and increase competition and reduce prices (while supposedly increasing quality)

Hammer, Journal of Health Policy and Law, 31(3) 473 (2006):
p493:
"A general openness to experimentation and an appreciation of the possibility
of learning by doing pervades the FTC/DOJ report. In Recommendation
1, the report states that "private payors, governments, and providers
should continue experiments to improve incentives for providers to lower
costs and enhance quality and for consumers to seek lower prices and
better quality" (FTC/DOJ 2004: ES, 21).

It is a key objective of the FTC and DOJ to reduce healthcare costs by increasing competition in the healthcare marketplace (including breaking up cooperation among physicians that raises prices).

Third, the national association needs to heavily advertise on behalf of our interests to the general public. Feature how patients are getting screwed by the current system, how inefficiency and financial pressure are being used by insurance companies to make doctors see an unsafe number of patients, while also damaging the doctor patient relationship. When we can come up with a consensus as to universal (private) health care then we should heavily publicize this as well. Pressure on media outlets, (newspaper, television etc) especially around election time will be helpful.

I particularly like the part above. As the universal care nuclear media bomb goes off with the Presidential election, media outlets will be looking for all kinds of unique angles. The default for physician perspective will be the AMA, which isn't meeting our needs. An association or group like the above could put out a more effective and beneficial message with advertising and interviews across the airwaves.

Miami_med: Thanks for clarifying that.

In terms of points of agreement, do you agree that private insurance companies should get out of the direct-bill/pay relationship they have with physicians or what reforms to private insurance do you advocate?

I assume you also want phase-out/elimination of Medicare and Medicaid as they are today? If these systems were converted such that Medicare was privatized (essentially an optional private insurance program perhaps with some government guarantees that people could pay into) and Medicaid was made an optional charitable system, would you be ok with them then?

I think that physicians should be able to contract with private insurance companies in whichever way they choose. However, I believe that if you removed the influence of government in the market that promotes this direct pay relationship, many physicians would abandon it. Physicians should bill patients. Patients should bill the insurance company as they do for homeowners, auto, etc... Of course, I think that the VAST majority of physicians services at the primary care level should be paid in cash. I don't use car insurance for my oil change.

Yes, I'd like to phase out Medicare and Medicaid. I have no problem with private charitable systems for individuals. You could call them privatized Medicaid or even Super Special Insurance, as long as they are removed from government control. I have no problem with people donating whatever they wish, and I have no problem with you raising as much money as you can to fund them in the private sector. That way, no one is hurt, a safety net can exist for the poor, and we get the *****s in government out of the decision making process. Of course, government guarantees make me cringe. They'll probably be used to take the system back over. That's what always happens. Perhaps re-insurance could be used on the private market place as a sort of guarantee.:thumbup:

I thought universal coverage was going to kill us all by rationing care.

I never said that it was going to kill us all. I said that it would lower the quality of our medical care. You are correct about one thing though. If we go Universal, the government will run out of money to fund it for the very reasons I said above that restrict the private market. They will then embark on a series rationing schemes that are perfectly adjusted for politics, cronies, allies, and votes. Of course, the actual act of providing medical care itself may be excluded from the negotiation.

If we go Universal, the government will run out of money to fund it for the very reasons I said above that restrict the private market.

Oh, really? Wow. It's funny because a country like, say, Switzerland covers its entire population through a consumer-driven health insurance system that provides comprehensive, high quality care for about 67% of what we pay per capita. And never mind that a highly disproportionate amount of healthcare dollars are spent in the last months of life. Nope, we're screwed. There are no innovative solutions, so we might as well give up now. F**k hope!

Oh, really? Wow. It's funny because a country like, say, Switzerland covers its entire population through a consumer-driven health insurance system that provides comprehensive, high quality care for about 67% of what we pay per capita. And never mind that a highly disproportionate amount of healthcare dollars are spent in the last months of life. Nope, we're screwed. There are no innovative solutions, so we might as well give up now. F**k hope!

I tried to find a system that was closest to what Miami_med is looking for, and the best I could do is something like Haiti, where Cuba provides healthcare on a charitable basis to the population (including gov't leaders) and local providers operate on a cash/barter system. China might be somewhat close as well, although they really want to get away from a system where the doctor diagnoses your wallet thickness as part of determining treatment cost. This isn't to say his Libertarian system couldn't work. I'm just surprised that he supports a system that isn't represented in any of the best healthcare systems of the world. I would like to see a system like that work on a small scale before I would ever advocate it. Healthcare is so Balkanized that most papers I've read don't hold out much hope that a simple market model would work because the patient isn't the sole driving force for "purchases" (if the physician says you need an X-ray ... you're gonna say 'No, you're wrong' ?).

His best example is the U.S. pre-1965 Medicare, which didn't provide equal access to Blacks and is not a system I would consider acceptable by today's standards (high cancer mortailty, etc.).

Like in most of European Union countries, in Spain there's an universal health care system which means that all people, incluiding immigrants and tourists can receive health assistance.

Even though it's a very good system, with technology and doctors' qualification almost as in USA, the problem is that hospitals are always full of patients and people have to wait for being operated on for several months.

In our case, doctors working for this public health system are quite well paid, and they're not better paid because they haven't asked for it to the government.

Recently, the interns, (on medical specialization), are fighting for their rights and are better paid than before.

yours,

Daniel, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Seville, Spain, E.U.

Like in most of European Union countries, in Spain there's an universal health care system which means that all people, incluiding immigrants and tourists can receive health assistance.

Even though it's a very good system, with technology and doctors' qualification almost as in USA, the problem is that hospitals are always full of patients and people have to wait for being operated on for several months.

In our case, doctors working for this public health system are quite well paid, and they're not better paid because they haven't asked for it to the government.

Recently, the interns, (on medical specialization), are fighting for their rights and are better paid than before.

yours,

What about private health insurance (supplemental to the public care)? Can it be purchased in Spain and can one get faster treatment if one has private health insurance (this is what I was told by my mother-in-law who has relatives in the Canary Islands and Madrid)? I realize that private health insurance may not work for hospitalization but evidently will work for primary care?

Also, many people argue that having to wait is better than not being able to get the care at all (the situation for millions of Americans in the U.S.). The concern is that changes will simply make the system worse for most patients and still not provide acceptable care to the currently uninsured.

Yes, fighting for better pay and working conditions seems like a great idea if the effort is well-organized/strategic and methods are in place to protect interns (and physicians) from retribution and doesn't harm patients.

Also, it sounds like your system has no trouble trouble attracting qualified students to become physicians (quality of care is high).

Huh,
I never said that there was no hope. I said that resources are not infinite. I'm not sure that you can compare a small confederacy in the middle of Europe that makes the majority of its money off of taxing huge anonymous investments by outsiders, and the United States. I'll admit to knowing less about the Swiss system than those in Britain, France, or Canada, so I will withhold judgement of the system itself until I know more.

I believe that I have proposed numerous solutions to our healthcare crisis. They are just market based decisions, and that obviously rubs you the wrong way. You have put a whole lot of words in my mouth.

By the way, people go to the doctor when they are sick. If I am getting treatment for a cancer with a 50% survival rate (say a late stage lymphoma), I have a 50% chance of dying. In this case, I will have spent a larger percentage in my last months of life, because chemo isn't cheap. What about 20% survival? The statement that a disproportionate amount of healthcare dollars are used in the last months of life really means nothing without context, because the majority of people who are dying are trying to get medical treatment in order to try and live. People don't need medical treatment when they are young and healthy. The ones that don't live will have had extra treatment in their last months. The ones that don't die will balance out this success by spending more when we finally fail and they do die. This skews the statistics. Secondly, most dying people fall under Medicare, so if this is really a problem, it is surely not a failure of the free market.

Yeah everyone who is applying this year should pray that you get into your state school. Private medical education could very well be financially ruinous.

so could getting into a state school...

yours,

From personal experience... I live in the US, travel abroad often, and have family in Spain...

The quality of medicine is indeed very good in Spain but in my opinion patients and their families (particularly the elderly) are often discouraged from being hospitalized and from receiving expensive treatments (to be fair, the system in the US is perhaps at the other extreme in terms of aggressive treatment offered to the elderly); there just are not enough hospital beds in Spain..., and there are often long waits (compared with the US) for expensive diagnostic tests.

I believe the average salary for a family physician is around 35,000 Euros ($46,000 US), and the average salary for a specialist is 65,000 Euros ($85,400 US). This is for a 40 hour workweek roughly, but by being "on call", and/or working some extra hours many doctors in Spain earn up to double their base salary. (Spanish doctors are the worst paid in Europe, according to the Spanish edition of "Medical Economics", v.III. N&#186; 20. 8 de Diciembre de 2006, "Los espa&#241;oles son los m&#233;dicos peor pagados de Europa", see: http://www.medecoes.com/index.asp?num=61).

From a patient's perspective, family physicians have office hours at very convenient times, at 8:00 PM in the evening for example (which would be uncommon in the US; but 8:00 PM would not considered "late" in Spain, it's a cultural thing). Often patients can just drop by during those convenient office hours without an appointment. This means that routine and preventive care is very accessible, much more than in the US. Many physicians will do house calls too.

There also exists private insurance coverage in Spain. One good example is ASISA: http://www.asisa.es/index.html (I'll compare ASISA to Kaiser in the US, ASISA has their own clinics and hospitals). The quality of private care is also very good with ASISA, and the wait times are typically much shorter than for the public system. But just like some HMOs in the US, ASISA sometimes places some hurdles for approving care to discourage over use (and patients, particularly the elderly, need to be assertive to make sure they receive costly care that should be covered; I'm speaking from personal, family experience).

No system is perfect, the quality in Spain is very good, it is more cost effective than the US, more egalitarian (even if there are accessibility problems). Everyone is covered.

Although physician pay levels would probably make most American physicians very unhappy (since they are used to much more), the Spanish system appears to be a good compromise between providing care for everyone and allowing those willing/able to spend more access to better care.

You have put a whole lot of words in my mouth.

Meh. These debates always follow the same script. Somebody finishes reading Atlas Shrugged or Milton Friedman's biography and decides to rehash the same string of myopic arguments.

How 'bout some pancakes?

OMG!!! Hillary Clinton wants to socialize healthcare??!! What's that going to do to physician's salaries??!!!

Of course, there are several private health insurances in Spain, such as ASISA, (which I had few years ago), CASER (USP Hospitals), SANITAS, etc.

The thing is that new huge private hospitals are being built nowadays, so many physicians are becoming interested in working only for private medicine, in which salaries are much better than in National Public Health System.

Medicine's degree is very popular among high school students, and the number of applications has increased as never before. I think that House, MD and Greys' Anatomy have been key in this trend.

Dani, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Seville, Spain.

Meh. These debates always follow the same script. Somebody finishes reading Atlas Shrugged or Milton Friedman's biography and decides to rehash the same string of myopic arguments.

How 'bout some pancakes?

You're right that this happens in general (though I'll point out that I have actually started NONE of these threads).

You can call my arguments myopic, but considering that you've contributed nothing to show that they actually are, you're really just insulting me. (It's alright, I can take it). If Rand, Friedman, Mises, Hayek, Peikoff, or any other libertarian leaning writer says something, it must automatically be wrong? I suppose that this same line of thinking would assume that the the collective works of Karl Marx must be universally correct?

The argument that 'more other people think something means that we should think it' is moot anyway. Once upon a time, the collective geniues of Europe thought the world was flat. They even had some pretty solid evidence backing them up. When we moved away from that belief however, I think that it opened up a whole new realm of possibility. Truth isn't governed by democracy. If you don't like what I have to say, you are more than welcome to not listen or to post a thoughtful response.

I love libertarianism, but Rand is a terrible writer. (and not that smart) Trust me, I was a philosophy student once :laugh:

If you were gonna quote Friedman on the other hand...

You can call my arguments myopic, but considering that you've contributed nothing to show that they actually are, you're really just insulting me. (It's alright, I can take it). If Rand, Friedman, Mises, Hayek, Peikoff, or any other libertarian leaning writer says something, it must automatically be wrong? I suppose that this same line of thinking would assume that the the collective works of Karl Marx must be universally correct?

Incorrect, but I enjoy the black-white, univariate nature of your analyses.

Of course, there are several private health insurances in Spain, such as ASISA, (which I had few years ago), CASER (USP Hospitals), SANITAS, etc.

The thing is that new huge private hospitals are being built nowadays, so many physicians are becoming interested in working only for private medicine, in which salaries are much better than in National Public Health System.

Medicine's degree is very popular among high school students, and the number of applications has increased as never before. I think that House, MD and Greys' Anatomy have been key in this trend.

Thank you for the information! Spain sets a very good example for others with providing healthcare for its entire population and by providing options for those who would like to spend more money their health with a private system. Hopefully the increase in private insurance will not destroy the public system but bring about improvements (reduced wait times, etc.).

You're right that this happens in general (though I'll point out that I have actually started NONE of these threads).

... Truth isn't governed by democracy. If you don't like what I have to say, you are more than welcome to not listen or to post a thoughtful response.

For what it's worth, you've helped me sort out issues with healthcare economics and your ideas are well reasoned, even if I don't agree with them and I follow a different logic. Among other things you have drawn my attention to is that government involvement can cause problems and lack of competition can make things worse. Although I strongly believe in government involvement, it's good to know what can go wrong so that thought can be given to preventing problems. It would also be helpful if you could provide more case studies from modern healthcare systems (even if it's a narrow focus like a particular local market or the effect of HSA). It would also be helpful if you provided objective comparisons rather than a more ideological approach. Often we learn how to make a system stronger not from its supporters, but from its critics.

Aside: I was talking to a pharmacist yesterday who likes to share interesting stories that sometimes give me pause. A lot of her customers are elderly and money is an issue for them. She filled a prescription that has a cash price of ~$150. The patient had medicare, which paid essentially all of it except for a $3 copay (it was a brandname drug). Anyway, the patient was shocked that the copay was $3 instead of the usual $1 for generics and refused to pay for it and chose to do without the medication instead (patient's words: "There is no way I'm paying that much money for that medication."). I understand that many people have limited income, but $3 ??!! Isn't your health worth that? Some people have a very interesting perspective on how much healthcare should cost. I can see how Miami_med's suggestion of a cash-based system for primary care would reduce the amount of healthcare some Americans use. Unfortunately, that would result in some very poor health decisions such as people "saving" money on primary and preventative care and thereby creating more serious health problems.

Incorrect, but I enjoy the black-white, univariate nature of your analyses.

I believe that you were the one who said that my views were myopic with a sole argument that they are consistent with a libertarian writer's perspective. I actually believe that healthcare would be best administered through a variety of different approaches in the free market based on competition. Far from black-white, I believe that there are many ways to fix healthcare. I've just pointed out rather objectively that using the government is usually not one of them. Being open-minded doesn't mean believing everything. The only ideas that I have rejected are those that require central planning and the involvement of the same Washington beuaracrats that I wouldn't trust to watch my dog.

I tried to find a system that was closest to what Miami_med is looking for, and the best I could do is something like Haiti, where Cuba provides healthcare on a charitable basis to the population (including gov't leaders) and local providers operate on a cash/barter system. China might be somewhat close as well, although they really want to get away from a system where the doctor diagnoses your wallet thickness as part of determining treatment cost. This isn't to say his Libertarian system couldn't work. I'm just surprised that he supports a system that isn't represented in any of the best healthcare systems of the world. I would like to see a system like that work on a small scale before I would ever advocate it. Healthcare is so Balkanized that most papers I've read don't hold out much hope that a simple market model would work because the patient isn't the sole driving force for "purchases" (if the physician says you need an X-ray ... you're gonna say 'No, you're wrong' ?).

His best example is the U.S. pre-1965 Medicare, which didn't provide equal access to Blacks and is not a system I would consider acceptable by today's standards (high cancer mortailty, etc.).

Well, using Haiti as a free market example would be akin to using Nicaragua as the model of Universal Healthcare. We'll try to exclude countries that have a tendency to slip into violent anarchy, as they probably don't illustrate either of our points rather well. I'm pretty sure that you couldn't use communist China or Cuba as good examples of a functional free market in anything, let alone healthcare. If you want more objective examples, feel free to look at ANY healthcare system before the advent of Universal Healthcare. Most countries adopted the universal model in the 60s, so anything before that would work. I just use the US, because I know the most about it.

When I talk about pre-1965 US healthcare, I never claimed that it was perfect. I did claim that it was better from an economic perspective. Cancer survival rates have obviously changed rather dramatically in the last 40 years everywhere, regardless of the system. I'll point out that they are mostly higher here, where we don't have universal care. This has more to do with technology than the nature of the funding. Also, inequality in provision of care still exists today, and it has nothing to do with who pays. I think your criticisms of pre-1965 healthcare have more to do with technology and the social problems present in the US at that time than the actual method of funding.

As an aside, I appreciate the civil nature of your approach to this thread. Though we tend to disagree, I believe that an open dialogue about healthcare funding is very important, and we will atleast have contributed some information for people to think about. The downside to this, is that this thread may cost both of us about 10 points on step I in lost study time.;)

I sense some defensiveness in your post...

It is interesting to compare health care systems, to try to rank systems, to offer opinions as to what we may think is best. The reality is that no health care system is perfect and the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.

The US health care system needs fixing and since I am a US citizen, I should help fix it for future generations. The Spanish system may also need attention. I love Spain, but I am not in a position to help. These are political problems and I am naive when it comes to Spanish politics.

The reality is that we are not starting from scratch, we are not designing a completely new health care system from scratch in the US. What we currently have evolved over time so we need to come up with good incremental improvements.

It is useful and fun to learn what works well and what does not work well in other countries (without being judgmental, parochial, or dogmatic).

It is simple to have opinions (and to present purely ideological arguments) but it is a waste of time (there is no such thing as the "best" ideology, it just leads to pointless disagreements).

It takes time and effort to investigate problems, to consider possible improvements objectively, and to try to share interesting information and ideas with others. I've been doing such research, and I tried to be helpful...

If my post came across as a criticism of your previous post, that was not my intent; if it came across as putting down the Spanish health care system that definitely was also not my intent. No offense intended, I was hoping to shed a little more light on an interesting discussion, not more heat; so thank you for participating in this forum and best of luck with your medical studies in Spain. :thumbup:

Hi Miami_med,

Nice talking to you. Ok, I'll let you have some peace to study.

Best,
OncoCaP

Keep in mind that Switzerland has significantly demographics and an especially restrictive immigration policy as compared with the US.

Keep in mind that Switzerland has significantly demographics and an especially restrictive immigration policy as compared with the US.

No need to type so much. For future reference, this will suffice:

"RE: Swiss = Std. Response #1 + Std. Response #2."

I think that it would be interesting to take a poll and see what all the medical students thought about universal healthcare and whether or not they support it.

I think that it would be interesting to take a poll and see what all the medical students thought about universal healthcare and whether or not they support it.

It depends on what flavor of universal coverage you're curious about:

1. Socialized
2. Single payer
3. Two tier
4. Mandatory health insurance
...and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.