High School Transcript and GPA-just a number?

mwitiiram

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a college is looking at your transcript, is it strictly the GPA that they look at as well as course offerings? For example, I go to a 5 year HS that includes the 8th grade. In my 8th and 9th grade years, I didn't do too well, however in 10th i earned a 3.5 and 11th a 4.0 (unweighted with honors classes) So my main question is do colleges put more "weight" on the later years of your transcript than the early years? or will all they look at is the GPA number. Since 10th grade i've picked up honors and AP classes in addition to my 30 ACT. I'm just worried that the damage done to my GPA in my early years will hurt me. For example, a C in Algebra I in 8th grade followed by A's in Alg 2, Adv Math, etc. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

When a college is looking at your transcript, is it strictly the GPA that they look at as well as course offerings? For example, I go to a 5 year HS that includes the 8th grade. In my 8th and 9th grade years, I didn't do too well, however in 10th i earned a 3.5 and 11th a 4.0 (unweighted with honors classes) So my main question is do colleges put more "weight" on the later years of your transcript than the early years? or will all they look at is the GPA number. Since 10th grade i've picked up honors and AP classes in addition to my 30 ACT. I'm just worried that the damage done to my GPA in my early years will hurt me. For example, a C in Algebra I in 8th grade followed by A's in Alg 2, Adv Math, etc. Thoughts?

It's definitely been a while since I was in high school :) but if I remember correctly, they definitely do take upward trends in GPA into consideration. While you probably won't be given as much "credit" as the kid with the 4.0 who's always done well, it's definitely helpful to end high school with a bang, so to speak. Also, you might want to prove that you really know what you're doing by getting as high a score as possible both in the ACT, SAT and whatever SAT II's you're going to do.

Good luck! :D