High School Student in need of some guidance

Funkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 17 year old male from Casper Wyoming. I go to a pretty good high school one of the best in the state. I am looking at going to college for premed. I am doing ok in school right now but i have been out of it because of mono and gastroparesis, so my gpa is not that great. I am looking at going to the University of Wyoming then doing there partner program at Washington
Medical School. I dont know how much my high school statistics will matter when applying to medical school so i try and keep it up. I am trying to shadow a local doctor at my hospital but alot of kinks need to get ironed out of the plan. At my school i succeed at most all science have a little trouble at chemistry. I work right now at my school as an IT Tech if that matters much. If i majored in college it would pry be Economics or Science.

So all i am looking for is some guidance to keep my dream within reach to someday make it a goal.

Thanks for all your input.

Funkie

Members don't see this ad.

There's actually a full forum, hSDN, for issues concerning high school students. Pre-allo posters check it out pretty regularly. I'll move the thread there so you can get some answers.

There's actually a full forum, hSDN, for issues concerning high school students. Pre-allo posters check it out pretty regularly. I'll move the thread there so you can get some answers.

Thank you kindly

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get in. Just keep up the good work!

I would also like to know about how to start research and what i should do to get some of this stuff under my belt

I am a 17 year old male from Casper Wyoming. I go to a pretty good high school one of the best in the state. I am looking at going to college for premed. I am doing ok in school right now but i have been out of it because of mono and gastroparesis, so my gpa is not that great. I am looking at going to the University of Wyoming then doing there partner program at Washington
Medical School. I dont know how much my high school statistics will matter when applying to medical school so i try and keep it up. I am trying to shadow a local doctor at my hospital but alot of kinks need to get ironed out of the plan. At my school i succeed at most all science have a little trouble at chemistry. I work right now at my school as an IT Tech if that matters much. If i majored in college it would pry be Economics or Science.

So all i am looking for is some guidance to keep my dream within reach to someday make it a goal.

Thanks for all your input.

Funkie

Welcome to SDN !

Generally, medical schools don't consider your high school grades. If you maintain a high GPA, stellar MCAT, decent ECs in college years. You will be a successful applicant for sure.

For further more information, feel free to check this thread.

hope you feel better from mono. I had it while in college and it through me for a pretty bad loop for a couple of months. Though gastroparesis on top of that????? (The doc part of me is confused at that part, but it's not my business.)

Honestly at this point, shadowing is good becaus eit introduces you to different parts of medicine. But the most important thing is to just go to college, and have a great college experience. Once you're there, explore all your options, take the time to expand your horizons, even if it means not being a traditional "pre-med".

As for research, most ppl end up doing some bench research. I was lucky enough to also help out with clinical research. But the short of it is to look in your school science departments for labs doing cool stuff you'd like to get involved with, and talk with teh PI (principal investigator) of the lab. They usually like having college students work in their labs. Alternatively, ask your science professors about opportunities in bench researchAs for clinical research, you might find some by e-mail the hospital volunteer departments maybe to see if there are clinical researchers who take on volunteers. Alternatively you could contact the nearest medical school or better search through their website for opportunities.