High School & Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravisP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at Harvards Dental school website, and it says applicants selected for an interview, must submit...
Official High School transcript, if available
SAT scores, if available (usually on the high school transcript)

So if someone who didn't do well in High School have a hard time trying to get into a good dental school? Or you just dont bring your transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

TravisP said:
So if someone who didn't do well in High School have a hard time trying to get into a good dental school? Or you just dont bring your transcript?

Harvard is the only school that I know of that does this, and Harvard isn't necessarily a "good" dental school.

Buffalo requires your high school transcripts before they will review you for an interview. Gavin, I think you should qualify who you think "Harvard isn't necessarily a "good" dental school" if you are going to make a statement like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would they need your high school transcripts, I would think the main issue would be on your colleges.

It's like having a 4.0 College GPA a 24 DAT, but they want to see your 2.4 highschool GPA and your 1100 SAT.

edkNARF said:
Buffalo requires your high school transcripts before they will review you for an interview. Gavin, I think you should qualify who you think "Harvard isn't necessarily a "good" dental school" if you are going to make a statement like that.

Harvard sucks. If you want to teach at a dental school then its great, but as far as BEING a dentist, don't go to harvard. :smuggrin:

I am continually suprised at how passionately those on SDN hate Harvard.

ItsGavinC said:
Harvard is the only school that I know of that does this, and Harvard isn't necessarily a "good" dental school.

UCLA also requires high school transcripts.

Has anyone been accepted to Harvard or UCLA who had a REALLY low gpa in high school?

I just don't get why they would want our high school transcripts.

blumnday99 said:
UCLA also requires high school transcripts.

I don't get it. Why would those schools require a high school transcript? It's pointless to ask for a high school transcript from non traditional students. Are they going to hold a mediocre high school grade(if that is the case) of about 10+ years ago???

Ed...get over it...all Harvard really has is its reputation and its name. They are the NIKE of schools...everyone wants to wear them, but its only a matter of time before you realize you paid a lot of money for a mediocre product.

it's makes total sense. not only should every dental school look at your high school transcript, they should also look at your middle school transcript. while they're at it, they might as well get your grades from pre-school cause you know what they say "if you do bad in pre-school your sure to flunk dental school".

edkNARF said:
I am continually suprised at how passionately those on SDN hate Harvard.

i agree with you there. not that i'm convinced harvard is so wonderful, but the level of harvard-bashing seems completely unprovoked. the only possible reasons i can figure out are:

1. sour grapes (somewhat unlikely, as many SDNers have gotten into Harvard)
2. it really is a relatively poor school, and posters are trying to prevent others from making a bad descision (but if so, why with such virulence?)
3. Harvard's college sports teams have beaten the teams of everyone else's alma maters (no data, as i don't follow college sports)
4. the name 'Harvard' produces an instictive "yucky" response in many people, much as the sight of a cockroach does (unlikely, as this instinct seems to have been absent in the human race for the past 2+ centuries)
5. people hate boston (again unlikely, as no such response has occured against BU)

so it seems that #2 is the most plausible answer, but :confused:

anyone have other ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bullfan16 said:
Ed...get over it...all Harvard really has is its reputation and its name. They are the NIKE of schools...everyone wants to wear them, but its only a matter of time before you realize you paid a lot of money for a mediocre product.
Nike sux :thumbdown:

Bullfan16 said:

It is funny that people keep on bringing up reputation on SDN. Some schools are so new that their students haven't even entered the clinic yet. They essentially have no reputation, but everyone on SDN considers them to be the best thing since sliced bread. I know Harvard may not have the strongest clinical reputation, but it does have something to be proud of (ubiquitous specialization). Some schools just have good intentions.

ItsGavinC said:
Harvard is the only school that I know of that does this,.

On AZ secondary they also ask for your SAT scores; but it is optional.

edkNARF said:
Gavin, I think you should qualify who you think "Harvard isn't necessarily a "good" dental school" if you are going to make a statement like that.

Okay, I don't think there are any bad dental schools, but I do think that some schools are better than others depending on a student's personal circumstances and career goals.

So, Harvard is probably an excellent school for some and a very poor school for others. The OP defined it as a good school, which may be true, but I think it largely depends on other factors (same with all other schools).

edkNARF said:
Some schools are so new that their students haven't even entered the clinic yet. They essentially have no reputation, but everyone on SDN considers them to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Ed, nothing personal, I think you are a good poster. But, there is only one school that hasn't sent their students into the clinic and that's Arizona, so you can't say "some schools." Secondly, I don't think Arizona has earned any reputation--good or bad. But, based on my interview there this year, I think within the next 5 years, Arizona will have a repuation both on and off SDN as one of the best clinical schools in the country (i.e. if there was a poll, I think Arizona will eventually be top 5). Their model is set up to maximize clinical experience for their students. Essentially, after the first year at Arizona, students do nothing but preclinic/clinic. Furthermore, during the 4th year, they will augment their clinical work in school by going to 'outside' clinics to gain extremely valuable experience. All in all, Arizona has set themselves up to become one of the best dental schools in the country for clinical training.

To the OP:

You've unintentionally created another Hate Harvard thread. :) Many people on SDN cringe when you mention Harvard because Harvard has the reputation of being a "bad" school if you want to do general dentistry. But, statistically speaking, it is a great school if you'd like to specialize. Harvard's students consistently do well on Part I of the boards, which is one criteria used when applying for specialization. It's important to realize that a good school is a personal label. It seems like most people on SDN (at least most of the people who voice their opinions) are anti-Harvard but I encourage to you to not be influenced by others about Harvard or any other school because you will receive a biases opinion (and mine is no exception!). If you are interested in research (it's a requirement at Harvard), perhaps specialization, living in a big city, etc. then Harvard may be a good school for you. I, personally, really care about research (have 5 years of experience -- it's my full-time job) and that's why I applied to Harvard and other "good research schools" like Minnesota and UCSF. In a nutshell, what I'm trying to say is, every school out there appeals to somebody. It is my perception that Arizona (as an example) many not attract the majority of research addicts (because when looking at its website and pamphlet, I couldn't find anything about research), and Harvard (as an example) isn't going to attract the majority of general dentist enthusiasts. But, with that said, I believe you can make any school work for you. (For example, research during the summers if you're at AZ or do a general practice residency if you go to Harvard). There are a lot of great schools out there and you just have to shop around to figure out which ones you're compatible with. Like the program JavadiCavity mentions which AZ peeps go to outside clinics, Minnesota does that, too. In fact, it's a requirement to participate in 3 "outreach" programs, and I'm sure many other schools have similar opportunities.

Uffa da, that's a bit of a tanget. But in regard to you question about HS transcript, I had 2 schools (Buffalo and Harvard) request them. My first impression was that the Committee was looking for consistency. That's just my theory. I doubt your HS transcript will make or break you, but it will definitely look favorable if you did well in HS and then did well in college as opposed to do well in HS and then slack in college, or vice versa. I will certainly inquire about that during my interview, because I am curious about that as well. I meant to ask when at Buffalo, but I just forgot.
To be continued. . .:)

I apoligize if I helped turn this thread into a flame war. I just think people should qualify their feeling on why they think some schools are better than others.

To the OP: I was a horrible student in high school, and this was never brough up in my Buffalo interview. In fact, I failed out of college the first time (at Buffalo no less!), and my interviewer didn't hold this against me. If you have a strong overall application, they you will have nothing to worry about.

Oh, forgot to mention that Penn asks for SAT scores in their secondary. Don't worry about that though, I didn't do very well on my SATs and I still got accepted to Penn.

So Harvard is good for research and not so well for general dentistry? So would it be easier to go to Harvard for general dentistry since thats not their strong point?

The argument is, and I'm not sure whether I believe it or not (to be determined after I interview at the school and speak to administration for myself rather than rely on hearsay on SDN), that if you want to do general dentistry, Harvard is not the school to go to. You're a few years off from applying, right? Things may change at schools in terms of curriculum, equipment, requirements, etc. so I wouldn't worry about a school's reputation until it's time for you to apply. Then start researching the schools.

drat said:
The argument is, and I'm not sure whether I believe it or not (to be determined after I interview at the school and speak to administration for myself rather than rely on hearsay on SDN), that if you want to do general dentistry, Harvard is not the school to go to. You're a few years off from applying, right? Things may change at schools in terms of curriculum, equipment, requirements, etc. so I wouldn't worry about a school's reputation until it's time for you to apply. Then start researching the schools.

drat, I agree with you 100%. As for HS stuff, it's probably for statistical purposes.