Hibbfhfbdbdnanan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey3139

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.48 GPA
28 MCAT
over 100 hours of shadowing
I play 3 sports in leagues.
I am in 6 clubs

Members don't see this ad.

this should be good.

(I think most will tell you to apply DO. yes, you could get into SGU if you really wanted.)

You'll be much better off at a DO school than an off-shore MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go Carribean. If you want an MD, take a couple years off and improve your app. You have a decent shot if you improve your MCAT score a bit and get some good work and volunteering experience.

I actually think this thread is legit and it kills me inside.

idk maybe join a few more clubs and play some more sports.

Don't go Carribean. If you want an MD, take a couple years off and improve your app. You have a decent shot if you improve your MCAT score a bit and get some good work and volunteering experience.

Then the OP will have to explain why he turned down an acceptance...a nice fat RED flag considering his reasons for doing so.

From everyone that's educated on this topic that I have talked to US DO >>> IMG.

Then the OP will have to explain why he turned down an acceptance...a nice fat RED flag considering his reasons for doing so.

Med schools don't know if you got accepted to other schools, and they probably wouldn't care if they did. Lots of applicants get multiple acceptances and decline all but one.

Med schools don't know if you got accepted to other schools, and they probably wouldn't care if they did. Lots of applicants get multiple acceptances and decline all but one.

This response and the comment you're quoting are both untrue. MD schools will know if you've been accepted to other MD schools. If you're accepted to an MD school, turn it down, and then reapply in a later cycle, all schools you apply to will see that you've turned down an MD acceptance, which is a big red flag.

i got into NOVA D.O but id rather do MD. I've gotten rejected from 2 MD schools thus far, so im getting nervous, looking at all my options.

Huge mistake...if you have the option of staying in the US you have to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A little MCAT bump and you should be fine. If that means taking another year than so be it. I never understood the idea of settling for something you don't REALLY want if it can all be midigated by having a little patience and applying again the next round if necessary. In the grand scheme of things, its really not that big of a deal.

I think it is really strange to say no to your only offer just to try to get into MD next year. You're risking not getting another acceptance even if you improve your scores. This sounds like you're putting too much weight on the "MD vs DO" arguments, and it's causing you to pause where you shouldn't. Just my opinion, but I would take the win.

I can see what PennDippody means, though. If you will truly not be happy at DO (first off why did you apply), then you could try to improve. I would personally try to figure out why I think DO isn't up to par, especially with an offer on the table.

As for your OP, I say no to out of country.

I have a 3.48 GPA
28 MCAT
I am in 6 clubs

Contrary to the popular SDN opinion, St. George's is a very reputable school. In fact, few SDNers and I have noticed a very convincing banner.

st-george-medical-school.jpg

Beautiful place to ease your stress.

250px-St-George_s-Hospital.jpg

Fantastic hospital to work during residency!

Best of luck as a future doctor in the Caribbean!

I have a 3.48 GPA
28 MCAT
I am in 6 clubs

This is above average for a Caribbean school...so the worry about getting in shouldn't be a question(barring no felonies). The question is: Is it worth it vs. staying in the U.S. with Nova.

You should check match lists/talk to people who are IMGs. It's much harder to get a residency (especially a good one) as an IMG. Yes, of course there are exceptions, but at this point, it's better to be a part of the "rule". Take the DO position.

Contrary to the popular SDN opinion, St. George's is a very reputable school. In fact, few SDNers and I have noticed a very convincing banner.

Man ... that is one beautiful campus ...

One of the carribs needs to become LCME accredited so that I can get some Vitamin D while studying for Step 1. :laugh:

go to SGU. Do not consider going DO. Only in the US do people have even a remote idea about what it is.

This is the match list of a carribean school which is not even SGU and had people match into ortho, optho, and rads.
http://www.auamed.org/pages/residency-placements-for-2013

and from my school in the UK, all people who went through the match had all matched. I got VS integrated, 1 person got rad onc, 2 IM, and one med/peds.

just go the md route

DO.

You'll be almost guaranteeing yourself a residency in the US and the potential to work as a physician and earn a full physician salary.

Do not consider going DO. Only in the US do people have even a remote idea about what it is.

I think the assumption is that the OP wants to practice medicine in the US and doesn't care about licensing issues in other countries.

Regardless, most countries now recognize the degree. Furthermore, in the near future, 20% of graduating physicians are going to be DOs in the US.

Congrats on VS though, that is straight boss :thumbup:

While I cannot with certainty say as I did not do premed and university in the US, after going straight to med school in the UK after high school in South Carolina, I get the impression that the premedical scene in the US makes premed's need a sense of "certainty" in everything and hence why they keep defending DO over MD. Maybe there is slightly more certainty, but for that slight certainty more are you ready to accept a DO after your name. I would certainly never be.

DO>Carib MD, especially based on stats for getting residency (greatsaphenousv went to the UK, which is better but I probably still wouldn't recommend over DO).

If you really don't want to go DO (and I'm not sure why you applied if you didn't):
1) improve MCAT
2) get some real ECs/volunteering (clubs and shadowing are weak)

Def. would not be too smart to attend any international school over an osteopathic one. DO is a fantastic and better option.

If you are really committed to only attend an MD school, and you really want to attend SGU (which seems to be the case), then the only upside is that it is the most respected school from the Carib. Before you commit to SGU, I would definitely recommend emailing several SGU staff members (or even speak with the Dean if possible), and ask about the upcoming residency crunch and try to understand what they plan to do about it in regard to helping their students find residency placements in the U.S. Be aware of what to expect before you commit to SGU.

The only reason you should even consider SGU or the other Caribbean schools if if you have tried at least twice to get into US schools (MD and DO) and failed, and this is after you have put in your best efforts (i.e. retaking MCAT, doing SMP or upper-level sciences courses, more ECs etc...). You got accepted into a DO school. Why aren't you even considering it? There's no real difference between an MD and DO, anyway, except that DO's have that extra training in manipulation. Otherwise, DOs do exactly the same things that an MD would do. Hell, even some MDs are beginning to get training in manipulation. You'll have a much better chance of matching from there than you would from SGU. Not saying SGU is not a good school, but a DO school will give you far more options for residency placement.

Last edited:
While I cannot with certainty say as I did not do premed and university in the US, after going straight to med school in the UK after high school in South Carolina, I get the impression that the premedical scene in the US makes premed's need a sense of "certainty" in everything and hence why they keep defending DO over MD. Maybe there is slightly more certainty, but for that slight certainty more are you ready to accept a DO after your name. I would certainly never be.

So you'd rather have an MD and a high possibility of no residency (thus no license to practice) than a DO and an almost certainty that you will have a residency, and a subsequent license to practice?

I care more about being able to practice medicine than the vanity of my post nominals. Also, why are you willing to accept an MBBS instead of an MD if those letters mattered so much?

A somewhat amusing post for someone who technically does not not have an MD degree but has or will have an MBChB, MB BChir, BM BCh, MB BCh, MBBS, BMBS, BMed, or BM

Re-take the MCAT. Re-apply to U.S. MD school. Apply widely. Not sure why you didn't get in somewhere.

-Skip

That second picture of yours of St George's Hospital is not in the Caribbean! It is in London, the location and teaching hospital of St Georges University of London also known as St Georges Hospital Medical School.

go to SGU. Do not consider going DO. Only in the US do people have even a remote idea about what it is.

This is the match list of a carribean school which is not even SGU and had people match into ortho, optho, and rads.
http://www.auamed.org/pages/residency-placements-for-2013

and from my school in the UK, all people who went through the match had all matched. I got VS integrated, 1 person got rad onc, 2 IM, and one med/peds.

just go the md route

Just want to clarify something here.. While it's true that people outside the US may not necessarily know about osteopathic physicians, that does not mean that our international practice rights are severely limited.. I understand that is a sticking point for some people..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine#International_practice_rights

Barbados, France, Norway, South Africa and Zimbabwe are currently the only countries who will limit DOs to OMM practice.

I would question someone's motive and desire to be a physician if they are willing to put themselves in a situation that will make their end goal less likely just because of two initials.

Status
Not open for further replies.