Hi, would I be considered for URM status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nietzsche

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, my parents are from Nicaragua [country in Central America] and I was born in the U.S. . Would I be considered a URM? If I stand corrected the "definition" of URM was changed from only targeting certain races/ethnic groups to a wider range to cover anyone who is underrepresented in medicine.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If my understanding is correct it covers Afircan American, Hispanic's such as Mexican American and Puerto Rican, And Native American's.

The definition at this point hasn't truly switched over to include anyone that is a minority in medicine. Right now in terms of hispanics it includes Mexicans and Peurto ricans. I'm sure others have been considered but usually hispanics from south america and spain aren't really considered URM. Its a confused thing I know. But really the interpretation is left up to the individual schools. So apply and wait and see what category you are put in (although they probably wouldn't tell you whether they consdiered you URM or not).

Members don't see this ad :)
The definition at this point hasn't truly switched over to include anyone that is a minority in medicine. Right now in terms of hispanics it includes Mexicans and Peurto ricans. I'm sure others have been considered but usually hispanics from south america and spain aren't really considered URM. Its a confused thing I know. But really the interpretation is left up to the individual schools. So apply and wait and see what category you are put in (although they probably wouldn't tell you whether they consdiered you URM or not).

After reading the sticky I thought that I was an URM, but came to this thread and got confused.

I was born in Brazil and have lived in the states since the age of 2. So you're saying that any schools that I apply to would look at the ratio of Brazilian doctors to Brazilians in the population to determine me being an URM or not?

After reading the sticky I thought that I was an URM, but came to this thread and got confused.

I was born in Brazil and have lived in the states since the age of 2. So you're saying that any schools that I apply to would look at the ratio of Brazilian doctors to Brazilians in the population to determine me being an URM or not?

Go to the website below to see what they have to say about minority. By the way, lots of medical school have some policy stating that they don't discriminate base on blablabla al. I guess this means whether or not you are URM makes no difference to them.

http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm