hi.....need help.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bvijaybabu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.....

i am an IMG from india......i have completed my three yr NM residency from india this summer......further i want to specialize in US......

i have fairly good scores 99,95,88.....some research exp, awards, abstracts and publications.....

I applied for residency last yr, both for prelim and NM.....but was in a catch 22 situation.....cud not get many prelim calls and NM guys answered me saying that i need to be doing or completed internship for consideration.....so cud not get in last yr....

this yr i have applied again......but, now i have concentrated mainly on categorical IM coz of last years bitter experience with prelim spots......but, my passion is only in doing NM.....what is your advice on doin NM after IM...is it worth it.....or do i think of doing only NM.....

what r the options of doing fellowship in PET/CT directly with my previous exp......what r my chances....what r the prospects after fellowship without NM board certification?...when do i need to apply for it....

I have some offers on J1 visa......so, I would like to know of the probability of getting J1 waiver jobs in NM field....can i go for it or push for H1 visa.....

thanks for your replies and heartening to know a active NM forum......

Members don't see this ad.

hi.....

i am an IMG from india......i have completed my three yr NM residency from india this summer......further i want to specialize in US......

i have fairly good scores 99,95,88.....some research exp, awards, abstracts and publications.....

I applied for residency last yr, both for prelim and NM.....but was in a catch 22 situation.....cud not get many prelim calls and NM guys answered me saying that i need to be doing or completed internship for consideration.....so cud not get in last yr....

this yr i have applied again......but, now i have concentrated mainly on categorical IM coz of last years bitter experience with prelim spots......but, my passion is only in doing NM.....what is your advice on doin NM after IM...is it worth it.....or do i think of doing only NM.....

what r the options of doing fellowship in PET/CT directly with my previous exp......what r my chances....what r the prospects after fellowship without NM board certification?...when do i need to apply for it....

I have some offers on J1 visa......so, I would like to know of the probability of getting J1 waiver jobs in NM field....can i go for it or push for H1 visa.....

thanks for your replies and heartening to know a active NM forum......

IT's hard to get a nuclear medicine job in the first place, much less a J-1 waiver for NM. Most NM jobs are in academic institutions which are not underserved. NM is not primary care (heck can we even label it secondary yet?) and so the chances of needing NM in a rural underserved area is next to none. Your best bet is to finish 3 years in IM. Get a J-1 waiver. Become a green card (in maybe 10 years?) and then apply for NM residency (which if the rules stay the same should be two years since you finished IM, but I bet by then the rules will be different).

If you got visa issues, NM is not for you.