Hi everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just joined this site, after hearing about it from futureoptometrist.com Alittle about me, I am from New York and I am applying to Optometry schools this fall..and taking the OAT in October..I'm trying to start early and study for this test, but its hard since i haven't taken organic chem since '95, and physics since '98..I'm currently finishing up my Master's degree in Biology, and I have been working for an Optometrist for over a year as an office manager/optometric assistant. Good luck to everyone who is starting in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks christie and welcome to SDN! Seeing how many people we have no.. I"m glad I posted at futureoptometrist. (that was me!) ;)
Good luck with the OAT!! I hadn't taken orgo in five years when I took the test myself. I actually bought an MCAT book (since the science reviews were better than the OAT book) and studied with that. You'll do fine!
Where are you applying? SUNY? i've heard their new facility is really really nice.

Hi christie!!!!!!!!!! :D

Dont even worry about the OAT, youll do GREAT Im sure! :D

We're all just one big happy optometric family aren't we, cpw!?

Welcome to the family, christie! :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I came out of the OAT thinking I completely bombed it. And I did fine.. not stellar, but enough to get in to two of the three schools I applied to. :) Watching all these MD students waiting for their MCAT scores is bringing back my OAT racin' for the mailbox days almost a year ago. (was that a year ago?)

The subject I thought I was going to do the worst in (physics) I got a 360 so you never know. :D My worst was orgo (big shock!)

christie,

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

I'm glad your able to join in the group here. I hope you find this site useful. Keep on posting.

cpw, I guess your post at the futureopt. worked.... Good Job again!!!

Later y'all,
:cool:

Hi everyone...Thanks for your kind words. I just have a quick question if anyone of you might know. Out of the three following schools, which do you think is the hardest to get into, and the second hardest? - UHCO, southern california college, or ohio state? For all three I would be an out-of-state resident. Thanks!

You would definitely have a harder time getting into the two state schools out of state. (unless you're in one of the contract states with those two schools) Since you're in new york.. you already have a state school so I don't think you get a contract state. :(

SCCO is private.. so you'll probably have the easiest time getting in there. They don't care what state you live in as long as you pay their 22k a year tuition.
Hope this helps! GOOD LUCK!

christie,
Hello. I was in a similar situation before taking the oat. I graduated college in 1995 so i had not taken some of these courses in a few years also. I went back and found one good text(like basis freshman intro bio and chem etc. and re-read sections i was weak on. I also purchased the betz? guide to the oat. I have also heard that studying mcat material is also good. Oddly enough i also thought i had bombed the test after i took it ended up doing very well. Study and you will excel. Obviously you already have bio covered. Goodluck. eyeguy

Hi Christie!

I can understand your situation as well. I had taken some of these classes going on ten years ago...not too easy to remember nor get back into the swing of things (esp physics..I can do the optics just fine...it is the darn kinematics crap)

I just have another semester of physics and two of chem before I can enter opt school. I am trying to take them when I can but gotta have money to first..grrr...

Good luck to you and feel free to ask anything here...we all like to help one another :)

Cassandra