Hey Geddy Lee!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadkiller Dog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why you thought the program in Galveston bit the noodle. I just got offered an interview there. (Also noticed that it said they are on probation!)

Anyway, would be interested in your $.02

Members don't see this ad.

guttata said:
Check your PM.

I'm interviewing there too. Can I get in on the secret?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an overall bad impression of the place. Galveston is pretty ghetto. The "beach" there is fairly unappealing, the buildings all look old, etc. Crime there is high. I wouldn't live there unless I absolutely had to.

The program itself seemed a bit questionable. The interim chair was actually a Urologist. Why couldn't they get an OPH to be interim chair??? About half of the attendings (if not more) were part time. I was told that one of these attendings did his UTSW cataracts on friday, which meant the resident had to come in to do his post-ops on saturday. Also, you have to go over to the prison hospital, which is a bit sketchy, and I really didn't want to be providing care to the nastiest of nasty criminals in Texas. I mean, these aren't your common inmates that they can shackle and just take to the local doctor.

The residents I met there were all very nice and seemed cool, but the attending left a different impression. I think having lots of part time faculty is a weakness anywhere. It generally had a bad reputation amongst the majority of people I met on the interview trail, but I did talk to some people who liked it. Who knows, maybe it's your kind of place. I ranked them. So much for "crappy" programs.

GeddyLee said:
The interim chair was actually a Urologist. Why couldn't they get an OPH to be interim chair???
Also, you have to go over to the prison hospital, which is a bit sketchy, and I really didn't want to be providing care to the nastiest of nasty criminals in Texas.
Don't be swayed if the interim chair is a urologist. This is just politics. The Dean of the medical school picked this person. This may mean that the new chairman will be a new faculty member and not one of the current faculty. This could be good news.

It is sometimes good if a medical school is willing to make the effort and spend the money to get an outside chairman rather than promote one of the current faculty.

My experience with prisoners is that they behave because they do not want their doctor visits restricted. Doctor visits is a way for prisoners to have a change of routine and a visit outside their usual confines. The prison hospital partially makes up for a lack of a VA affiliated hospital.

I was going to write something about UTMB but judging from the uproar by one of the faculty at the University of South Carolina, Columbia and getting all those other people to defend the program, I have been muzzled!