Hey Cuts, where ya headed for rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgar26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Dunno. In fact I dunno if I matched rads or gas yet. Thursday will reveal my fate...

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Cuts...

I know what you matched, because the unthinkable happened today - I scrambled into EM, so you definitely got rads. I didn't have to sell my soul, so my dignity's intact, and I got something that isn't a castoff, which is incredible for an FMG.

So, therefore, since I (being relatively very tool-ish) got what I wanted, you (being much more well-prepared than I) got what you wanted even more.

The logic is infallible.

Apollyon :eek:,

All right man! Good job! :) You must be ecstatic no? Wow... scrambling into EM... good shiznit indeed.

I certainly hope you're right about me. It's interesting that out of the 5 unmatched Rads spots, one is from a place I ranked #3. I could easily construe that to mean that I either matched at my #1, 2, or 3 BUT at this #3 place it seemed like one of the residents didn't like me too much (he struck me as a prick overall though), so perhaps they didn't rank me at all. Why am I doing this to myself? It's out of my hands now...

Hearty congratulations again!

:cool:

**** happens man. I had one of the medicine residents piss all over me b/c i didnt bring her lunch. Ever since then i tickled her ass with a feather (pretty much stayed up all night with her when i was on call). Q4 can get tiring especially with call nights like the ones i had doing all sorts of scutwork.
Anyways, there is no reason for a radiology resident to be a prick. Can you tell me about the other rads programs, resident satisfaction,etc. What is your opinion (pros and cons) of each of the rads programs, esp. RWJ and St. Francis. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Peace

Well to be entirely objective, I think I may have been being a bit too assertive that day (i.e. annoying), so maybe it wasn't entirely his fault... I might have come off as a gunner, so he shunned me in true Radiologist fashion ;)!

Don't know much about RWJ. Are you referring to St. Francis in Chicago/Evanston, IL?

dude, i didn't even know there were two diff. programs. anyways, i meant the one in chicago.

While St. Francis Rads would certainly not be considered a prestigous or powerful program by any means, out of all the places I saw (none of which were really "desirable"), I liked it the most.

Pros: Chicago, small & tight-knit group (only 2/year)--lots of autonomy, DC, PD, faculty, and residents all really nice, no research requirement, nice hospital, good perks, great call room, lots of good looking Barr bodies in the hospital

Cons: no PACS, formerly on probation, more demanding/work than most other Rads programs, if fellowships get competitive later, it may be difficult to secure a good one coming out of here

There's probably more of both Ps and Cs but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. The big pro for me is the city of Chicago and the autonomy the residents get there... it's a laissez faire type residency and that's how I work best--on my own without regulation

Hope this helps...

Allright, Cuts, cough it up. It's now 4pm EST on Match Day. You've known for a good 4 hours!

Will you be bringing your mulleted goodness to the world of radiology, or is it "A gas-passer's life for me"?

Either way, you've got a bucketload of fans pulling for you, riveted to the ongoing "Saga of the Cuts".

Yeah dude, I saw your name online. Where are you going man? Then you can post the definitive step by step how to score a rads residency post, so guys like me can follow in your foot steps.

Radiology or Bust right ;)?

I matched at LSU-Shreveport Rads, my #4. I'm friggin ECSTATIC. My top 3 were community programs, and as a matter of fact, my #3 was where one of the Rads unfilled spots was this year. A modicum of deduction would lead to the conclusion that those fockers didn't rank me :laugh:! I suspected that might happen b/c I was getting bad vibes from one of the residents there, and that's a program where the residents themselves actually determine the program's ROL. No biggie though. This may even be better in the long run since I'm shooting for a Neuro IR fellowship. That and I remember seeing this ULTRA COOL new mammography contraption at LSU... it looked like a guillotine :eek: ! I can't wait to play with that bad boy :D .

I wouldn't feel complete without thanking SDN and everyone on these boards for all the helpful advice and encouragement I've gleaned from here. Voxel, WBC, and Jim Picotte--my Radiologist colleagues--y'all in particular served as my inspiration. Fellow Caribs and other IMGs out there... it's an uphill climb I know, but it can be done.

I sincerely hope everyone else out there has been as fortunate and blessed as I have. Congrats to all of you :D !

Way 2 Go Cuts... that's friggin awesome... congratz man!!!

DC..

hey man - that's seriously awesome. I'm in the wrong forum (IM) but I've been diggin your style - behind the scenes - for a whie now, and was really pulling for you. I was more invested in you matching than some of my med school classmates during our match fest! Seriously.. I actually thought at one point, "Damn, hope that Cuts dude got rads."

So yeah.. LSU never had it so good.

Nice to know good guys win some times.

Congratulations!!! :clap:

Congrats cuts...now time to sit back, relax and move I guess. Are you doing the transitional year at the same place? Glad you got a spot though.

Thanks a lot everyone... come to Chicago and I'll take you all out to lunch at the Rock & Roll McDonald's ;).

Jim: Transitional Year? What do you think I am man... a strong applicant or something :mad: ? :laugh: -- I think I counted my chickens before they hatched on that point... I matched for Prelim Med here in Chicago (Illinois Masonic) BUT at a place that I ranked even higher than two of my TY prospects b/c it's in a great part of town, a really good friend of mine is starting Cat IM there this July as well, and b/c I noticed that the hospital had some hot ancillary staff. My goal for internship? Kill as few patients as possible.

;)

Cuts!

Congratulations man! Best of luck in the future!

Hey Cuts,

Ive been a silent admirer of yours for the hustle you showed to get to where you are today. Ive always been a sucker for a good Horatio Alger. You definitely would do Polk proud.

Dr. Cuts,

Must stop in to congratulate you on your match. I also like your PGY-1 goal. Without sounding too corny:D , you've been something of an inspiration with your message of hard work and not taking no for an answer. Keep plugging!

I too, feel compelled to offer kudos to the venerable Dr. Cuts. Congratulations on a job well done!