Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks MDgoing4MPH...I just applied. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks MD going4MPH. I just applied. Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck everybody,
Does anybody know, do we need to send ECGMG certificate copy to ERAS?
And other question, pending publication helps to fetch interview or not?

Good Luck everybody,
Does anybody know, do we need to send ECGMG certificate copy to ERAS?
And other question, pending publication helps to fetch interview or not?

ECFMG: Yes.
Pending pub: better than not having pending pub. One way to ensure programs that you really have pending pub, is to have your mentor actually write down the pending pub in rec letter, otherwise I think there is no way to confirm you have pending pub.

Anybody knows which hem-onc programs are FMG friendly?

Those without NIH/NCI grants which means community hospitals mostly. Assuming you are FMG on visa. There are few university programs that accept visa though. I think university of Utah is one of them. are they FMG friendly in other manners or not, I'm not sure.

Thanks, but I don't have visa issue, luckily.

Hey guys, this thread has been pretty dead compared to previous yrs. I'm hoping it picks up:luck: I previously applied 2 yrs ago and am giving it another shot this yr as my situation is no longer restricted to 1 particular city.

I was just curious if you guys could recommend some strong, but overlooked programs. I'm obviously aware of MD Anderson, MSKCC, Dana Farber, Hopkins, and the Hutch. Do you guys have any opinions on Oregon, UCLA, Ohio State, Case Western, CCF, Maryland, Wash U, UMich, Northwestern, Duke, etc. Not really looking to apply to the East Coast except for MSKCC (I'm afraid of new york, hence the screen name).

I'm still not sure what my eventual goals are, so I'm looking for a program that is solid in both Heme and Onc. Any suggestions?

Good luck, MidwestMD.. i remember you from application thread two years ago, you are a great candidate and had great interviews but had to only rank programs in one area because of your significant other... i wish you the best luck this year and hope you end up at a place you will enjoy!!

Of the places that you mentioned... Maryland is a solid program, the faculty isnt as well known and fellows are mostly in clinical practice after they graduate but the clinical training is great, including a 16 bed BM transplant unit.. plus they offer an opportunity to go to NIH for 1.5 yrs for research... UCLA is a top notch program, very solid all around... i would be able to give you more feedback if you were interested in the northeast programs =) Good luck again!!!

Hey guys, this thread has been pretty dead compared to previous yrs. I'm hoping it picks up:luck: I previously applied 2 yrs ago and am giving it another shot this yr as my situation is no longer restricted to 1 particular city.

I was just curious if you guys could recommend some strong, but overlooked programs. I'm obviously aware of MD Anderson, MSKCC, Dana Farber, Hopkins, and the Hutch. Do you guys have any opinions on Oregon, UCLA, Ohio State, Case Western, CCF, Maryland, Wash U, UMich, Northwestern, Duke, etc. Not really looking to apply to the East Coast except for MSKCC (I'm afraid of new york, hence the screen name).

I'm still not sure what my eventual goals are, so I'm looking for a program that is solid in both Heme and Onc. Any suggestions?

Thanks for information, can you give some more information on Northeast programs?

OK... so the hem/onc programs can start downloading applications on December 1, but from past years... When is the earliest that the programs start granting interviews?

PS... One request: Can all the lurkers out there please start posting so we can build some momentum and excitement in this thread? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
OK... so the hem/onc programs can start downloading applications on December 1, but from past years... When is the earliest that the programs start granting interviews?

PS... One request: Can all the lurkers out there please start posting so we can build some momentum and excitement in this thread? :D

I was told that we can expect invitations from Decmber 15th. I am crossing fingers. I have 5 publications but nothing related to research since a community program. Hence not sure!!

Good luck, MidwestMD.. i remember you from application thread two years ago, you are a great candidate and had great interviews but had to only rank programs in one area because of your significant other... i wish you the best luck this year and hope you end up at a place you will enjoy!!

Of the places that you mentioned... Maryland is a solid program, the faculty isnt as well known and fellows are mostly in clinical practice after they graduate but the clinical training is great, including a 16 bed BM transplant unit.. plus they offer an opportunity to go to NIH for 1.5 yrs for research... UCLA is a top notch program, very solid all around... i would be able to give you more feedback if you were interested in the northeast programs =) Good luck again!!!

Thanks ghettomd. I'm surprised you remember me and my sad little story :p Since my wife is finishing residency next yr, we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to apply again, broadly this time.

Your blurb on UofMaryland was helpful. Any particular northeast programs you'd recommend (outside of NY?) I applied to 6 NY-area programs last time, but that was only because my wife is from there. Any thoughts on Brown, Yale, Dartmouth, Boston U, etc? Thanks!

I can only comment on the programs I have visited:

Mount Sinai-Particularly strong in heme with big names (Hoffman, Holland, Gabrilove), good clinical training (at elmhurst hospital where fellow function as attendings), best PD i have met on the interview trail (MD-PhD from Dana Farber, great person and very supportive)

NYU-First yr heme, second yr onc, third yr research. Very strong clinical program, solid in both heme and onc.

Yale (heme and onc-went to both)-upcoming program (not yet elite) with new 600 million dollar cancer center. Heme undergoing changes (new chief from rockefellar). Great basic science research opportunities

Brown-solid clinical program, most fellows go into clinical. PD is top tier, very supportive and warm.

BU-good clinical program, training both at BU and Va. Fellows seem happy. Limited research but available.

Fox Chase-top flight clinical program, one yr at temple (both heme and onc), one yr at fox chase (outpt only in different fields of onc) and last yr of research. Fellows go into clinical but great competitive environment and noon conferences (with outside speaker).

Maryland-as mentioned above, not as reputable but solid clinical training especially in BM transplant. NIH research opportunity.
Hope this helps....

Thanks ghettomd. I'm surprised you remember me and my sad little story :p Since my wife is finishing residency next yr, we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to apply again, broadly this time.

Your blurb on UofMaryland was helpful. Any particular northeast programs you'd recommend (outside of NY?) I applied to 6 NY-area programs last time, but that was only because my wife is from there. Any thoughts on Brown, Yale, Dartmouth, Boston U, etc? Thanks!

Thanks for the info ghettoMD... it was very helpful! :D

I can only comment on the programs I have visited:

Mount Sinai-Particularly strong in heme with big names (Hoffman, Holland, Gabrilove), good clinical training (at elmhurst hospital where fellow function as attendings), best PD i have met on the interview trail (MD-PhD from Dana Farber, great person and very supportive)

NYU-First yr heme, second yr onc, third yr research. Very strong clinical program, solid in both heme and onc.

Yale (heme and onc-went to both)-upcoming program (not yet elite) with new 600 million dollar cancer center. Heme undergoing changes (new chief from rockefellar). Great basic science research opportunities

Brown-solid clinical program, most fellows go into clinical. PD is top tier, very supportive and warm.

BU-good clinical program, training both at BU and Va. Fellows seem happy. Limited research but available.

Fox Chase-top flight clinical program, one yr at temple (both heme and onc), one yr at fox chase (outpt only in different fields of onc) and last yr of research. Fellows go into clinical but great competitive environment and noon conferences (with outside speaker).

Maryland-as mentioned above, not as reputable but solid clinical training especially in BM transplant. NIH research opportunity.
Hope this helps....

Thanks for the info. maybe I'll check out Brown and Fox Chase and I might even consider adding Mt Sinai to the NY list :rolleyes:

I'm excited about applying this year. Hope everyone does well! :luck:

Does anybody has any information about how many fellowship position avilable at:rolleyes:
Indiana University School of Medicine Program

they interviewed 17 applicants for 5 positions. Is this standard? 3-4 interview slots for each position?

Another question about St.Luke roosevelt, NY, looks like they don't participate in NRMP. Is this correct?

Another question about St.Luke roosevelt, NY, looks like they don't participate in NRMP. Is this correct?

There are three NY programs that are not participating in ERAS for the 2010 application cycle:

1. St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program

2. Brooklyn Hospital Center Program

3. Staten Island University Hospital Program

These programs did not participate in the 2009 NRMP:

http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/msmp/msmp_prev08.pdf

How many heme/onc letters do we need for the application?

Almost all programs require 3 letters of recommendation... ERAS will only allow you to send a maximum of 4 letters of recommendation to any one program.

Hey all! Im aplying for heme/onc this year. I think that if you have 2 letters from onc drs that should be fine. Then you have your PD and then maybe you can get one from a PI if you are doing any research. If you have a good letter from medicine people, that should also be fine.

Im all nervous about this year! I already applied to a bunch of programs....any idea when we can start expecting interviews?

I meant...how many of those have to come from heme/onc attendings?

Technically none of them but you should have at least 1. My letters were:
1. IM PD
2. Onc attending
3. MICU attending (I applied for research pathway as an intern so had limited folks to choose from, a general IM letter or another Onc if I'd had time would have been good too)
4. My thesis advisor

Do all the PD'S or letter writers write very good letters so that their candidates get the fellowship? Or are the letters written pretty selective to help the right candidates get the position? I waived my right to see my letters, hence do not know how mine might be. This has always been a question for me.

I have seen one or two letters that although the candidate didn't waive her right but PD refused to write an outstanding letter. On the other hand I have seen many outstanding letters for residents who were not outstanding.So I think the most important thing is how personalized your letter is. Some PDs have template for letters and they only spend more time on letters for outstanding residents they have. I think more than rec letter is calls your PD and refs will make to programs that invite you.

Hey guys good luck to everyone applying this season. I was wondering if anyone had information about the how the program is at UNMC, Omaha, Nebraska and whether they participate in ERAS.

I have seen one or two letters that although the candidate didn't waive her right but PD refused to write an outstanding letter. On the other hand I have seen many outstanding letters for residents who were not outstanding.So I think the most important thing is how personalized your letter is. Some PDs have template for letters and they only spend more time on letters for outstanding residents they have. I think more than rec letter is calls your PD and refs will make to programs that invite you.

Thanks MDgoing4MPH. Goodluck to everyone!!

I agree. It's better to have letters that come from faculty who can speak to your strong points, rather than just make sure they practice hematolog or oncology. There's standard language in the letters. Anyone who writes for you will say you're wonderful. But the code makes it clear just how wonderful you are. If the fellowship director at your home institution writes that he/she wants to keep you - that helps. If someone with whom you did research (even a case report) writes a letter that helps. The Program Director letters are standard and in my experience rarely are the ones that set you apart. Best of luck.

i have finally escaped personal statement hell, and submitted my application. does anybody know what the difference is between the harbor-ucla program #1 and #2?

Looks like about half of the programs which I have applied to have already downloaded my application!

Good luck to all! :luck:

hmm, seems like they still haven't scanned in my LoRs yet, should I apply now or apply when they're all in

Have the CA programs downloaded applications yet?

Just got this...

HI - just a note to tell you we have received your application to our USC
Heme-Onc Fellowship for 2010.

We will be reviewing and will be in touch later.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Regards
Dianne

well, i applied,
and lol, even though all my LORs have been sent, none are scanned in yet

I finally applied. Good luck to everybody.

Just got this...

Regards
Dianne

I got the same message MDgoing4 MPH from USC. Did the other programs(San Diego, Davis) from CA or IL, TX download your application?Thanks.

nope. just 60-70% of programs I have applied dl ed the application!

Well, my wife got the offer to be chief last week and we decided that it's an opportunity she shouldn't pass up. As a result, I'm going to delay my fellowship application another yr and plan on re-applying next yr. Didn't want you guys to think I was just lurking for the rest of the yr. Good luck w/ your apps!

according to Table 1 data from last year
chance of a US grad matching is 77%
chance of IMG matching is 42%

Got this yesterday...

Dear 2010 Applicant:
Thank you for applying to our combined Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship Training Program for the year 2010. If you are receiving this email, your application has been received in our office. Your file will be reviewed individually by our Fellowship Training Committee if you have downloaded all of the required documents via ERAS. The committee will make a decision on the Candidates who will be interviewed no later than January 31, 2009.
The interviews will be conducted from February - April 2009. If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified in a second separate email.
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THIS OFFICE DIRECTLY VIA EMAIL OR TELEPHONE. All correspondence is required to go through the ERAS Post Office.

Just got this...

Regards
Dianne

Status
Not open for further replies.