Hem/Onc salaries in the Pacific Northwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmiSansNom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the current Hem/Onc salaries for PP in the Pacific Northwest? Is it higher than national average? I've heard Midwest offers the highest salaries, but I was wondering if the Pacific Northwest is close to that or more like the salaries in the Northeast. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the current Hem/Onc salaries for PP in the Pacific Northwest? Is it higher than national average? I've heard Midwest offers the highest salaries, but I was wondering if the Pacific Northwest is close to that or more like the salaries in the Northeast. Thank you!

According to 2017 Medscape Compensation Report (doesn’t differentiate between PP and Academic):
Great Lakes - 354K
North Central (Dakota) - 424K
South Central (Texas) - 358K
Northeast - 324K
Northwest - 292K
Only West (California) is lower - 284K

Not really true about the North Central/ Dakotas, isolated practices with no affiliated staff and poor reimbursement rates from medicare/medicaid is winding-diverting patients to bigger cities in MN etc and even private insurers now following the medicare/medicaid rates in such practices. People used to be lured to the places by the cash, but then get trapped as practices cut reimbursements few months into the practice citing reimbursement changes... well if you are stuck there : You don't even have good lawyers to fight your contract violations. Small towns of ND SD MN possibly IA are traps for Hem-Onc! Stay away!

Any conversation about salary should also include a conversation about cost of living, especially in the Pacific NW. Unless, of course, you already own property there.