Helpful Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope I speak for a lot of people interested in Urology that it is difficult to gather Step 1 ranges for the specialty. I have a decent idea of score ranges in other fields, yet I'm a bit lost in Urology. I was hoping that if someone knows and could break it down for me, maybe it could help many people out there. A bit idealistic but I was hoping someone could answer the following questions.
1) Step 1 Scores - In regards to your application being read, and considered for an interview if you apply broadly
Score < (220???) - You should consider a different specialty
Score < than (225???) - Your chances are (very low, low, average, high)
Score < than (230???) - Your chances are (very low, low, average, high)
Score < than (xxxx) - Your chances are ... you get my drift.

2) Are program directors in Urology swayed by considerable improvements in Step II vs. Step I when determining which candidates to interview? Or is it more like "Dear (urology program secretary), lets go ahead and place in this pile (the never to look at again pile) all applicants with a step 1 of ??? or lower, and lets review all applicants with step 1 XXX or higher, and no mention of step 2.

3) What would be that magic Step 1 score at a Top Tier, Middle Tier, Low Tier program? that sends your application to the possible interview pile?

I understand these are some idealistic questions, but I feel that if someone out there gives an honest shot at an answer, it would help many of us that are completely lost when it comes to urology.

Members don't see this ad.

Any answer that anyone gives, other than program directors themselves, would be pure speculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all relative bud. For some people with a 220 they are good to go due to connections, stellar research, amazing grades, etc. If a 225 or even a 235 is the highlight of your application....you are going to face an uphill battle. In general >230 is a competitive score for urology. That said, it is an extremely competitive field, with a match rate of less than 80% this year. I would advise you to seek out advice from a faculty mentor at your school. Urologymatch.com is also a good resource which will answer many of your questions about competitiveness and the application process.

It's all relative bud. For some people with a 220 they are good to go due to connections, stellar research, amazing grades, etc. If a 225 or even a 235 is the highlight of your application....you are going to face an uphill battle. In general >230 is a competitive score for urology. That said, it is an extremely competitive field, with a match rate of less than 80% this year. I would advise you to seek out advice from a faculty mentor at your school. Urologymatch.com is also a good resource which will answer many of your questions about competitiveness and the application process.

Hey Cpants,

Thanks for your response. I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums, I also met with my PD to discuss my application and possibility of matching. He mentioned that I was a strong applicant and gave me some tips on how to get more involved with the department. It would be nice to see what everyone else's experience has been like. While I agree with you that there is so much more to an application than just a Step 1 score, we all know that programs can't read 500 applications and usually use the computer filters to screen out by scores.

Hey Cpants,

Thanks for your response. I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums, I also met with my PD to discuss my application and possibility of matching. He mentioned that I was a strong applicant and gave me some tips on how to get more involved with the department. It would be nice to see what everyone else's experience has been like. While I agree with you that there is so much more to an application than just a Step 1 score, we all know that programs can't read 500 applications and usually use the computer filters to screen out by scores.

If your PD says you are strong, you are likely in the ballpark. As far as step scores go I can tell you that I was <230 and had 22 interviews and turned down 4 invites. Matched to one of my top choices. Like I said, it depends on who you are, and obviously my step I wasn't my selling point. I had strong research experience, and I kicked ass on away rotations. Also great clinical grades, blew step 2 out of the water, and awesome letters. You will get filtered out of programs based on Step I, but uro is a small enough field with a small enough number of applicants that you will get a fair shot at most places. There are less than 300 applicants to uro, and most programs only see a fraction of those applicants. As a result, most programs can and do go deeper than just a step 1 score when screening applicants.