Helpful Criticism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here I am:
April 2005 MCAT: 31Q
BCPM: 3.04
Overall: 3.30
Science: 3.15

I applied last cycle and got 3 interviews, 1 "top third" waitlist which obviously turned into a rejection cause class started and I wasnt there.
The place where I was waitlisted was one of those dream interviews where both doctors tell me they are going to give me high ratings and that they want to see me here (it was closed file).
Obviously my gpa is the set back, I've been told this by two places I interviewed.
Heres my question:
Next summer is the last summer my MCAT will be valid, thus I need to make this year my year to get better grades. Post-bacs are expensive and wont give me the time needed to keep my MCAT (I dont want to take it again).
To all the people out there who have been successful in this process what the hell can I do to make it happen, Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, no one wants to take the mcat again, especially if they did well the first time. If you really want to go to med school this fall, I would suggest broadening your net to include DO schools as well as all the allopathic lower tiered schools. Hit them hard, hit them early.

If you really have to do the allopathic thing and are unwilling to do the post-bac, there's always the Caribbean.

But if you don't get in this year I would really suggest doing a post-bac. I know it's expensive and kind of a pain, but if this is really what you want to do with your life, then in the end it'll be worth it. Good luck this year.

To all the schools that you applied last year...did you find out why you didn't get accepted? Your MCAT is good...but your GPA seems a little low...but not that low. There are people who have been accepted with that sort of GPA...How about EC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo...why did you start a new thread? I and the other posters gave you sound advice. (and I AM a med student, in case you wanted advice from someone "in the know")

I put this thread in pre med, reapplicant, and allopathic to get the best answers. I guess the moderator moved one of them. What say you about my situation.