Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guineapig

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, now my indecision has gotten worse in that I'm trying to decide among an MHS in Epi at Johns Hopkins, an MPH at Tufts, or an MPH at BU.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about the benefits/drawbacks of the Tufts MPH?

Which is more useful for post-grad career, an MHS or an MPH?

Thank you again. :)

Members don't see this ad.

guineapig said:
Okay, now my indecision has gotten worse in that I'm trying to decide among an MHS in Epi at Johns Hopkins, an MPH at Tufts, or an MPH at BU.

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about the benefits/drawbacks of the Tufts MPH?

Thank you again. :)

Hi!
I am not sure Tufts has its accreditation yet? If they don't I would definitely not go there. You should should be able to check it out on the website for the schools of public health, http://www.asph.org (I think that's it)
:luck:
ubercoo

guineapig said:

The short answer: it probably doesn't matter much, as long as you do well in the program, do interesting work/research while you're in school, and make useful connections. (Not necessarily in order of importance!)

What kind of career(s) are you considering, and are you planning for this to be a stand-alone degree? I ask because if you are hoping to go straight into a health department or NGO or other "practice" (i.e. intervention-implementing) sort of setting, it might be good to choose a program with a capstone project or internship that will hook you up with the sort of place you might want to work. If you are hoping to continue down a primarily research-based track and/or eventually get a PhD, a program with a thesis might be better suited to your needs. But even these aren't hard-and-fast rules...people do sometimes change from research to practice, or vice versa, and of course many do some of both. And the "letters" of the degree don't always imply whether you have to do a thesis or a project...it varies by school and program.

I'm also trying to decide between an MHS at Hopkins (Intl Health) or an MPH at Columbia (Global Health). At first I was turned off by the MHS degree, but after having talked to a lot of people, I've learned it doesn't really matter. If anything an MHS means you've done MORE specialized work and may be more highly regarded in public health circles. Also, an MHS at Hopkins may outweigh an MPH at other schools since Hopkins is the number one public health school. I'm going to Baltimore next week to visit and this is one of the questions I'm planning on asking.