Help with Schools (MD and DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doc1421

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I am new to this site and would appreciate some advice on adjusting my list of schools.

Help with Schools:
MCAT:507 (I took it twice and this is my second score; first score was a 502).
GPA: 5.6 (Science should be ~5.57 but I am not 100% sure there)

Work: Scribe in a community center; work in primary care (peds and family)
previously worked as a barista throughout college

I have no research experience but I have extensive clinical shadowing (200+) and volunteering and non-clinical volunteering (100+; 30 but currently doing non-clinical volunteering) in my community. I have traveled abroad for clinical volunteering as well and have done leadership independent studies in school and was a preceptor for lab for a year.

I am applying to both MD and DO schools. Here is a tentative list of schools:
MD Schools:
  1. UofA - Tucson (MD)

2. UofA - Phoenix (MD)

3. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine (MD)

4. University of South Carolina School of Medicine (MD)

5. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

6. Wright State University Boonshoft School of Med

7. Wayne State University School of Medicine

8. UC-Riverside

9. Northeast Ohio Medical University

10. University of Alabama

DO Schools:
  1. MidWestern University (DO)

2. AT Still University - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (DO)

3. Touro University California, College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)

4. Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (DO)

5. Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)

6. Midwestern University/Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine(DO)

7. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine

If you guys know of any other schools that might work/I should look into, I'd appreciate it! I know my lack of research is harming me so if you guys have any advice on how to offset that in my application I could really use that also!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Arizona. And really? I feel like every personal statement I have read or school on the MSAR I have looked at has high research emphasis (every mission statement mentions it somewhere so I am not sure how much emphasis they really have on it)

504 3.5 . You should apply to all your state schools. Any schools where you align with their mission and more DO schools.

On your list of MD schools those 4 through 10 are state public schools that accept very few non residents with your stats so delete those. You could add these:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
You could add a few more DO schools such as RVU-Utah, TUNCOM and BCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
okay, I did not know that. I picked schools based off the MSAR and what that gave me as schools that accept my stats. When I am looking at the MSAR, what should I be paying attention to in terms of picking schools?

okay, I did not know that. I picked schools based off the MSAR and what that gave me as schools that accept my stats. When I am looking at the MSAR, what should I be paying attention to in terms of picking schools?
Look for the Percent of OOS applicants accepted. Any school that says it is a state school usually gives large preference to their own states applicants . People applying from OOS usually have ties to the state or have much higher stats compared to the median matriculants.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so that is not the same with private schools? Would I have a better chance picking private schools in that case? The schools that you gave me are way above my median MCAT and GPA which is why I didn't have them in the first place. What about those schools would be better choices?