Help with School List plz, 515 mcat, 4.0 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted976794

Hey guys I've never posted before, but I've seen the school list help posts and that is really what I need right now. If anyone has advice I am greatly appreciative. I'm graduating in May and applying for the 2020 cycle in June.

mcat 515, 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 cGPA from private, non-Ivy university...B.S. in biomedical sciences, minor in Spanish, minor in piano performance

female, 3rd generation Portuguese (so will probably just put caucasian)

2 years field and lab research, no publications but 4 posters

over 150 hrs volunteering at local hospital (weekly, past 3 years), 6 international mission trips...fluent in Spanish and have translated for some mission trips

very interested in global health and healthcare internationally someday; considering MD/MPH programs

over 150 hrs shadowing surgeons and primary care physicians (weekly, past 2 years), some spent volunteer scribing for them (still getting more hours)

volunteer in/co-lead ethnic music ensemble on campus for past 4 years...connect to hispanic community near and on campus, but also overseas

president of Spanish honors society on campus, 2 years

worked as waitress for past 6 years, but getting CNA certification in summer of 2019 (planning to work full-time as CNA in hospital or assisted living facility for gap year - anticipate 1600 hrs)

NC resident

So here is my current list. I am trying to narrow it down to 12-16, but am afraid I don't have enough below-target schools if I cut the ones I'm least interested in (i.e. USC Greenville because $$$ for OOS). Let me know what you think

UNC Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, ECU, Duke, Emory, U of Florida, Miller in Miami, Nova Southeastern MD, USC Greenville, Mayo, USF Morsani, Tufts, Georgetown, Tulane, Thomas Jefferson, Campbell DO, Liberty DO, Cornell, Icahn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the perfect candidate for the Wedgedawg system as there is nothing abnormal about your application. Follow it and be successful.

Your current school list is pretty good. UNC might be a stretch if you have no state ties or are not military, don’t do Georgetown or Tufts as your stats are better than those low yield schools, you don’t need any DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just know your CNA you get this summer and use during your gap year likely won’t benefit your application much as it will not appear on your application unless you strictly put in projected hours.

You are the perfect candidate for the Wedgedawg system as there is nothing abnormal about your application. Follow it and be successful.

Your current school list is pretty good. UNC might be a stretch if you have no state ties or are not military, don’t do Georgetown or Tufts as your stats are better than those low yield schools, you don’t need any DO schools.

Thanks! Would you add other schools instead or just delete Georgetown, Tufts, and the DO schools? Do you think my list is good enough (good chance of interviews) or is it too narrow? I appreciate the advice. I will also put the projected CNA hours on my application, that is a good point.

You are still going to want to apply to as many schools as you can afford to increase chances. I am good at removing schools off of lists but not adding them lol @Goro may be able to help.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I've never posted before, but I've seen the school list help posts and that is really what I need right now. If anyone has advice I am greatly appreciative. I'm graduating in May and applying for the 2020 cycle in June.

mcat 515, 4.0 sGPA, 4.0 cGPA from private, non-Ivy university...B.S. in biomedical sciences, minor in Spanish, minor in piano performance

female, 3rd generation Portuguese (so will probably just put caucasian)

2 years field and lab research, no publications but 4 posters

over 100 hrs volunteering at local hospital, 6 international mission trips (still getting more hours)...fluent in Spanish and have translated for some mission trips

very interested in global health and healthcare internationally someday; considering MD/MPH programs

over 150 hrs shadowing surgeons and primary care physicians, some spent volunteer scribing for them (still getting more hours)

volunteer in/co-lead ethnic music ensemble on campus for past 4 years...connect to hispanic community near and on campus, but also overseas

president of Spanish honors society on campus, 2 years

worked as waitress for past 6 years, but getting CNA certification in summer of 2019 (planning to work full-time as CNA in hospital or assisted living facility for gap year)

NC resident

So here is my current list. I am trying to narrow it down to 12-16, but am afraid I don't have enough below-target schools if I cut the ones I'm least interested in (i.e. USC Greenville because $$$ for OOS). Let me know what you think

UNC Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, ECU, Duke, Emory, U of Florida, Miller in Miami, Nova Southeastern MD, USC Greenville, Mayo, USF Morsani, Tufts, Georgetown, Tulane, Thomas Jefferson, Campbell DO, Liberty DO, Cornell, Icahn

You don't need DO schools on the list, but I'd like to see more domestic clinical exposure. Not sure that the mission trips will be viewed favorably.

I suggest:
Mt Sinai (maybe)
Case
Mayo
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Your state schools

You don't need DO schools on the list, but I'd like to see more domestic clinical exposure. Not sure that the mission trips will be viewed favorably.

I suggest:
Mt Sinai (maybe)
Case
Mayo
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Your state schools

thanks so much! how may schools total would you recommend I apply to? UNC is my top choice but I would like to apply to a mix of taret/reach/more safe.

Why would you put Caucasian? I think you classify as URM, and that would greatly increase your chances of getting in.

Why would you put Caucasian? I think you classify as URM, and that would greatly increase your chances of getting in.
Okay thanks! I just did not want to misrepresent myself, but I agree with you