Help with school list, please! 3.55 GPA/502 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. AK Doom

AK Medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Like the title says, I'm having a hard time figuring out what schools to apply to. My cGPA is 3.55, sGPA 3.45. Strong upward trend since my first year. MCAT 502.

I have strong extracurriculars, with research, leadership, non-medical and medical volunteering, clubs, medical and non-medical work, etc. I just graduated from university with a Biology degree and from a medically underserved, rural town. I am a white male as well.

Here is my school list:

DO:
Arizona COM
CCOM
PCOM (PA)
UNE COM
WUHS COM Pacific/Pacific Northwest
Rowan
ATSU AZ
Liberty
KCU COM
RVU COM CO and UT
Touro - all three

MD:
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
UW (WWAMI program)
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
OHSU
SLU SOM
Drexel
George Washington
Stritch
Tulane
Tufts

There is obviously some reaches in both categories, more so the MD of course with my GPA and MCAT. I was wondering if it would even be worth applying to this many MD schools or if I should apply to more DO schools? Let me know! I appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

With a 502 MCAT you may want to expand your DO list a bit, because that is more your "target audience". But if you are hell bent on MD then I would add Marshall because they have very low averages. At the end of the day they will still call you "doctor" whether you get a DO or MD. Everyone has this huge stigma that they think DO is lesser but in reality you can get the same specialities, same residencies (with new change on its way), and make the same amount of money. Hope this helps, good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Delete the HBCU's.
You are below OHSU's stats cut off for OOS.

Other than UW, strongly consider swapping some of the other MD schools for DO. Start with the ones that get >10,ooo aps and the ones where your MCAT is below the 10th percentile.

Delete the HBCU's.
You are below OHSU's stats cut off for OOS.

Other than UW, strongly consider swapping some of the other MD schools for DO. Start with the ones that get >10,ooo aps and the ones where your MCAT is below the 10th percentile.

Good call on those - I could have done more research in that department. Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user