MD Help With School List / Opinions on Chances (please advise)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolo199807

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for input and advice:

Demographics: Cuban heritage (parents) but born in Spain.
immigrated to US when 7
male
parents were physicians

Double major: Health Science (honors), Pre-professional Biology
State of Residence: Florida
Numbers: cGPA=3.97, sGPA: 3.965, MCAT: 516

Research:
1. Clinical Research on affects of drug and alcholo on emotional/cognitive processing= 300hrs
2. Quantiative/Wet Lab Research on Glioblastoma treatment via unique delivery system w/ Cannabinoids (thesis project)= 400+hrs

Clinical Volunteering:
1. Involved at a local clinic where I do intake (vitals/gather infor to present to provider), translate for spanish patients, scribe and follow up on A&Ps= 450+hrs
2. Volunteer on a hematology and oncology pediatric unit where I provide pallative care for patients and their families= 350+ hrs

Leadership
1. Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society: I have been a director here for 4 semester (two years). 2 semesters I was the director of the pediatrics division where I organized and lead over 70hrs of community service with local organizations including Hospitals (450hrs+)
2. Organic Chemistry TA: I was an organic chemistry TA from freshman year to junior year. Wrote worksheets, held lecture hall reviews, had office hours and graded exams (250hrs +)
3. Ambassador for my college (50 hrs +)

Poster Presentations
1. Literature review on my thesis project that was presented to the honors program students and staff
2. LGBTQ+ Poster on the physiological affects of male to female transitioning in the reproductive system as well as the social implications that was presented at an LGBTQ+ confrence

Shadowing
1. Director of Bariatric Surgery (35hrs)
2. Pediatric Surgeon (15hrs)
3. Interventional Radiologist (15hrs)

Hobbies
on AMCAS I wrote about how I enjoy cooking, and how I ride/fix/work on motorcycles as my hobby to relax

Adversity
Balanced a difficult family life during college since both parents were diagnosed with cancer during this time, along with the traditional complications of immigration

School List
Florida schools: UF, USF, UCF, FSU, FAU, FIU, UM
Out of State Schools: George Washington (DC), Emory (GA), Vanderbilt, NYU (both of their programs),

This is my list of schools as of right now but I am not sure how realistic any or all of them are. I was hoping to see what you guys thought my chances were at the OOS ones. So far I have applied to all the instate except UM. Do you guys think that the OOS listed are in reach for me? Also I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what other schools I should add to my list? I want to apply to at least 20 schools but I do not know which others I should add. Any thoughts/comments/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro, @Faha

Hey guys, I was recommended to tag you on here. I have heard you offer great insight, and after seeing some of it first hand on other people's posts I was hoping to get your help. Thanks in advance

Not to sound like I'm harassing you, but I wouldn't include a picture of myself on here as my pfp. Just not a smart move.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these OOS schools to your application
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Loyola
St.Louis
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Kaiser
USC Keck

Hey guys looking for input and advice:

Demographics: Cuban heritage (parents) but born in Spain.
immigrated to US when 7
male
parents were physicians

Double major: Health Science (honors), Pre-professional Biology
State of Residence: Florida
Numbers: cGPA=3.97, sGPA: 3.965, MCAT: 516

Research:
1. Clinical Research on affects of drug and alcholo on emotional/cognitive processing= 300hrs
2. Quantiative/Wet Lab Research on Glioblastoma treatment via unique delivery system w/ Cannabinoids (thesis project)= 400+hrs

Clinical Volunteering:
1. Involved at a local clinic where I do intake (vitals/gather infor to present to provider), translate for spanish patients, scribe and follow up on A&Ps= 450+hrs
2. Volunteer on a hematology and oncology pediatric unit where I provide pallative care for patients and their families= 350+ hrs

Leadership
1. Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honor Society: I have been a director here for 4 semester (two years). 2 semesters I was the director of the pediatrics division where I organized and lead over 70hrs of community service with local organizations including Hospitals (450hrs+)
2. Organic Chemistry TA: I was an organic chemistry TA from freshman year to junior year. Wrote worksheets, held lecture hall reviews, had office hours and graded exams (250hrs +)
3. Ambassador for my college (50 hrs +)

Poster Presentations
1. Literature review on my thesis project that was presented to the honors program students and staff
2. LGBTQ+ Poster on the physiological affects of male to female transitioning in the reproductive system as well as the social implications that was presented at an LGBTQ+ confrence

Shadowing
1. Director of Bariatric Surgery (35hrs)
2. Pediatric Surgeon (15hrs)
3. Interventional Radiologist (15hrs)

Hobbies
on AMCAS I wrote about how I enjoy cooking, and how I ride/fix/work on motorcycles as my hobby to relax

Adversity
Balanced a difficult family life during college since both parents were diagnosed with cancer during this time, along with the traditional complications of immigration

School List
Florida schools: UF, USF, UCF, FSU, FAU, FIU, UM
Out of State Schools: George Washington (DC), Emory (GA), Vanderbilt, NYU (both of their programs),

This is my list of schools as of right now but I am not sure how realistic any or all of them are. I was hoping to see what you guys thought my chances were at the OOS ones. So far I have applied to all the instate except UM. Do you guys think that the OOS listed are in reach for me? Also I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on what other schools I should add to my list? I want to apply to at least 20 schools but I do not know which others I should add. Any thoughts/comments/recommendations would be much appreciated!
I think that you can aim a bit higher. Also, any non-clinical volunteering?
I suggest:
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
Case
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani and all other FL schools
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM

I think that you can aim a bit higher. Also, any non-clinical volunteering?
I suggest:
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Baylor
Case
UCSD
UCSF
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani and all other FL schools
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Western MI
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
thank you I will make sure to take a look at these! I do not think I can afford to apply to all of them so I will have to chose between them, probably untill I hit that 20 mark. And yes! My non-clinical volunteering was that pre health honor society I was a director for. That was a variety of volunteering with kid based orgs throughout the community, everything from after school centers to Give Kid The World in Orlando. Idk why I was so specific with mentioning the hospitals

So @Goro and @Faha what do you guys think my odds are specifically at UF, NYU and Vanderbilt? I ask because these are my top three choices in that order. UF would be ideal cause I would be close to my family to keep helping them and I think I might have a shot but idk how likely. My passion is in primary care and I love the program NYU has for this (3yr plus residency school) and Vandy has an atomosphere that I think I would really enjoy, but these two seem like they wouldn't waste their time for me because of my MCAT score. If I had to guess I'd say that UF is one school I am competitive at, and NYU and vandy would be far reaches but I was hoping to get y'alls input! Thank you in advance, you guys are too kind for answering so fast

You could receive interviews at any of those 3 schools but they are much higher for U Florida because you are a Florida resident .

Reactions: 1 user
So @Goro and @Faha what do you guys think my odds are specifically at UF, NYU and Vanderbilt? I ask because these are my top three choices in that order. UF would be ideal cause I would be close to my family to keep helping them and I think I might have a shot but idk how likely. My passion is in primary care and I love the program NYU has for this (3yr plus residency school) and Vandy has an atomosphere that I think I would really enjoy, but these two seem like they wouldn't waste their time for me because of my MCAT score. If I had to guess I'd say that UF is one school I am competitive at, and NYU and vandy would be far reaches but I was hoping to get y'alls input! Thank you in advance, you guys are too kind for answering so fast
Chances for II at UF should be excellent, NYU and Vandy less so; In fact, I recommend a pass on them, as you're five basis points below their MCAT median, and the higher up the pole you want to climb, the more slipperier it gets.

Reactions: 1 user