Help with school list for 22-23 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USN2MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted last year for a school list but am looking for feedback for this next cycle as my research opportunity was replaced with volunteer work so I'm not sure how much that affects my school list so just looking for a reevaluation. Thank you in advance.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
    • AMCAS: cGPA: 2.63 sGPA: 2.73
    • AACOMAS: cGPA: 2.63 sGPA: 2.88
    • TMDSAS: cGPA: 3.35 sGPA: 3.43 (due to Academic Fresh Start which ignores coursework older than 10+ years)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
    • June 21 - 514 (129/126/128/131)
    • Sep 16 - 511 (128/126/127/130)
    • Nov 14 - 24 (6/10/6)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): CA/TX
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Hispanic (Mexican-American)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category:
    • BA in Psych from HPU
    • BS in Microbiology from UF
    • MS in Medical Science from UNTHSC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Five years active-duty Navy, five years reservists. While active did 28 months working in a family practice clinic where I did patient intake, minor procedures, ran sick-call. 18 months doing case management for injuries service members (about 300 cases on average). Recently got a scribe position and will be starting in the next month or two.
  7. Research experience and productivity: None, opportunity I had schedule fell through last year. I'm learning some programming (python, R, SQL) and considering looking for a clinical research or research assistant position. As a post-grad student there are few internship opportunities but I'm looking for any in the field of bioinformatics as that's the most remote friendly field and I have an interest in data analysis.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: None officially in-person. Did some virtual shadowing (25 hours). But often went with providers for exams during my time in the family practice clinic
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    • 40 hours Big Brother
    • 150 hours tutoring ESL and GED adult students
    • 900 hours as Americorps member working for a non-profit that mentors young men of color and goal is to get them to and through college.
    • 40 hours mentoring in two different organizations with the goal of getting to college and thru college. One organization focuses on veterans and helping them navigate the college process and succeed in college. The other is thru the local county of education office, working with a first-gen senior on navigating the college process and providing guidance. I plan on continuing this next year too and looking to get more mentees.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
    • Worked customer service at medical insurance provider for 3 months before going back to school to complete some prereqs
    • Worked 1 year as front desk receptionist for work-study at local Vet Center (veterans counseling)
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
    • Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (very whatever to mil people, but may seem impressive to non-mil people)
    • Fleet (admiral) letter of commendation for work done during multi-national military exercise
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    • Unsure of what doing from end of Americorps contract to matriculation.
    • Finished a SMP in 2021 where I got a 3.69, felt underperformed due to the conditions. Returning to being a student after 2 years, parent to toddler so figuring out childcare due to COVID concerns was a constant challenge. I know it's not an excuse, but maybe adcoms can be aware I faced difficulties that other students might not have faced the past year.
    • My GPA is poor mainly due to my younger years (I'm in my mid-30s now). I went to school for engineering straight out of high school and was unprepared, unmotivated and lacking resources. I was eventually academically dismissed. Eventually decided only I could afford going to back to college was the military, so I signed up. But by that time I had attempted 120+ units and had a 1.13 cGPA and a 0.9 sGPA. I've calculated how much I'd need to bring me above 3.0 and it's 130 units of As.
    • Because of the uncertainty of how my GPA may be screened I'm planning on applying to 30+ if not 40+ schools. I'm FAP eligible so that helps with cost, but I know I have to put my name in more schools because of my stats.
    • First-generation college student, first-generation American, first-generation veteran
    • Was SAHD prior to start of graduate school so I have a two year gap where that's all I did besides the reserves.
My school list
ATSU-COM
CHSU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
VCOM all campsuses
KCU
PCOM
Western - Pomona
Touro - Nevada and California
Willam Carey

All TMDSAS schools

Most CA schools (would like to stay in CA)

Recommended list from previous post
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Colorado
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Dartmouth
Quinnipiac
OSU-COM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
OKCOM
NYITCOM.AR
KCOM

Members don't see this ad.

CA residency but have strong ties to TX. I have a house there and wife and I both have family there. I know as OOS student chances are slim but I’m hoping with my AFS and my SMP being known by the schools there I get some love from them. Also not fluent in Spanish

Members don't see this ad :)
Start working on your Spanish language skills. It will increase your chances for an acceptance.
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Vermont
Dartmouth
Boston University
Quinnipiac
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
California University
USC Keck
The UCs
For DO schools I suggest these:
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
UIWSOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
LECOM
Touro-NY
WCU-COM
Your GPAs are below the cutoff for the VCOMs

Thanks. VCOM uses last 90 for the GPA calculations so I’m good there. I confirmed with the website and admissions officer when they came and talked at our SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
As a rap up I have 2 MD A and 2 II pending from 21 schools were I was submitted secondaries to. I applied “late” most secondary were submitted Sept. I never got around to completing my DO schools and left most secondaries incomplete. Tucson, UCLA, CDU@UCLA, and TCU screened me out pre-secondary, UCI too but haven’t gotten the official notification. Touro (NV and CA), CCOM, UIWSOM screened me out pre-secondary and seems like Western has too just hasn’t officially told me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users