Help with passing NBEO Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2020od

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am re-taking Part 3 in a few weeks. I took it in May on the 1st day they re-opened and got a 275 and 803 total overall in points. I was very close to passing but I fell short in a few areas (BIO and Slit lamp primarily). I did submit a score report review appeal and no points were awarded. Does anyone have any tips on passing in addition to the 2 skills I mentioned? Were there certain methods, techniques, or even confidence boosters you learned or practiced that you felt were key in helping you pass? General information or specific station advice would be all be helpful. Thank you all in advance!

Separately, is it weird that Part 3 is booked out till April 2021?? I know COVID has thrown all of our timelines off but they were only closed for 2 months in Charlotte. Are a lot of Part 3 takers not passing repeatedly?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What I did is memorized every procedure in part 3, I even made a little script of what I would say "lower palpebral conjunctiva is clear, no papillae or follicles". I practiced with friends about 5-7 times using equipment, and when I had free time I would go over the procedures in my head over and over again. You want as many easy points as possible, and a lot of the times points are lost because you forget something. Make sure to remember important things like hygiene (wash your hands for 15 seconds and three times during slit lamp). You've already taken it once so luckily you have a good idea of what to expect.

What I did is memorized every procedure in part 3, I even made a little script of what I would say "lower palpebral conjunctiva is clear, no papillae or follicles". I practiced with friends about 5-7 times using equipment, and when I had free time I would go over the procedures in my head over and over again. You want as many easy points as possible, and a lot of the times points are lost because you forget something. Make sure to remember important things like hygiene (wash your hands for 15 seconds and three times during slit lamp). You've already taken it once so luckily you have a good idea of what to expect.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes when I get nervous, I'll forget what to say even though I rehearsed my script like a million times so what I did was record my voice during my practice runs. Then I'll listen to it back and take notes on how to improve with my script and time as well. Follow the outline and practice every procedure to the point that you can execute it in 1 attempt.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!
I am re-taking Part 3 in a few weeks. I took it in May on the 1st day they re-opened and got a 275 and 803 total overall in points. I was very close to passing but I fell short in a few areas (BIO and Slit lamp primarily). I did submit a score report review appeal and no points were awarded. Does anyone have any tips on passing in addition to the 2 skills I mentioned? Were there certain methods, techniques, or even confidence boosters you learned or practiced that you felt were key in helping you pass? General information or specific station advice would be all be helpful. Thank you all in advance!

Separately, is it weird that Part 3 is booked out till April 2021?? I know COVID has thrown all of our timelines off but they were only closed for 2 months in Charlotte. Are a lot of Part 3 takers not passing repeatedly?
Hi, when you pay $450 did you actually get the comments or did not get a comment? I'm so confused and I already pay based on what I read in other posts but NBEO say they won't give any comments. Can you please share if the feedback was like a paragraph or a sentence?

Hi, when you pay $450 did you actually get the comments or did not get a comment? I'm so confused and I already pay based on what I read in other posts but NBEO say they won't give any comments. Can you please share if the feedback was like a paragraph or a sentence?
Sorry for the delayed response. I got a few comments from NBEO in my "appeal". They separated the various stations and very briefly explained what I did wrong. For example, in Station 1 they wrote "candidate did not perform swinging light test during pupil examination". (I don't remember exactly what they wrote but it was along those lines). Or for the BIO skill they wrote "poor view during fundus examination with BIO". It's not detailed explanations but it's better than nothing. For me I can say it was worth paying $450 for the appeal since I got those few comments and I passed Part 3 my 2nd time. Let me know if you have any other questions.