Help with Letters Of Recommendation! I Don't Know My Science Professors Very Well!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scacchi77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off I'm new here, so let me know if I need to be redirected to another forum.

So I feel comfortable with my application for this summer except my letters of recommendation. I have 10 weeks until I want to apply. Here is what I am thinking so far, but I don’t know if this makes for a strong application.

Science - anatomy professor? Biochem professor from 2 semesters ago?
Science - psychopharmacology professor?
Humanities - professor (clinical psych or abnormal child psych)
Research - principal investigator of prevention study
Volunteer - recreational therapist at in-patient psychiatric unit at children’s hospital
Shadow - ?? (haven’t really shadowed an MD/DO)

I'm a senior this year at a university. I transferred from community college at which I took all of my pre-reqs except biochemistry. I’m a psychology major so I haven’t taken many “science” classes.

I’ve gotten A’s in all my science classes, but the problem is I don’t know my professors here at the university very well. The classes are 300+ students and I didn’t go to any office hours.

Please help! I don’t know what I should do. Can I use my psychopharmacology professor for a “science” letter? Would it be better to have only 1 science letter of recommendation than to have one from someone who doesn’t know me well?

Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have any shadowing? You should try and get some before applying.

I've emailed around, and in some cases, a research letter of rec counts as a science professor letter of rec.
Why not try getting the letters of rec first, and seeing what you come up with before deciding between the ones you have.

Also definitely get shadowing experience between now and applying. That doctor might be able to write you a strong letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off I'm new here, so let me know if I need to be redirected to another forum.

So I feel comfortable with my application for this summer except my letters of recommendation. I have 10 weeks until I want to apply. Here is what I am thinking so far, but I don’t know if this makes for a strong application.

Science - anatomy professor? Biochem professor from 2 semesters ago?
Science - psychopharmacology professor?
Humanities - professor (clinical psych or abnormal child psych)
Research - principal investigator of prevention study
Volunteer - recreational therapist at in-patient psychiatric unit at children’s hospital
Shadow - ?? (haven’t really shadowed an MD/DO)

I'm a senior this year at a university. I transferred from community college at which I took all of my pre-reqs except biochemistry. I’m a psychology major so I haven’t taken many “science” classes.

I’ve gotten A’s in all my science classes, but the problem is I don’t know my professors here at the university very well. The classes are 300+ students and I didn’t go to any office hours.

Please help! I don’t know what I should do. Can I use my psychopharmacology professor for a “science” letter? Would it be better to have only 1 science letter of recommendation than to have one from someone who doesn’t know me well?

Any other advice?

Hi,

I would like to know if there has been anyone who has transferred out of a BSMD program and continued to medical school the traditional way? If yes, I would like to ask about your experience. Thanks in advance!

So, I was in your position once. I had about 200-300 students in my class. I would recommend taking an appointment with your professor and talking with them. Explain why do you want to go into medicine. Give them your personal statement. I think just meeting someone once gives a better impression than just asking them.

Reactions: 1 user
Adding to above, meet with them. Explain to them how you feel their letter of recommendation fits into your application. "Here is what I learned from your class and the specific skills learned that I want to communicate to medical schools". I am sure they will respond positively when they realize HOW their letter fits in with your application. Much better than "this is a requirement for med school and you happened to be a professor I had".