Help with how to chose a DPT program!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLJ12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently working on picking a DPT program to attend. I've made pros and cons lists and all but I am still struggling with what will be best for me. Many of the PTs I work with say that it doesn't matter much because they will all prepare me, but it is such a large investment that I want to be happy with my choice!
What are some things you guys think are most important to consider when making a decision? Is there anything specific in your program that you wish you had? Or something in your program you love that you have?

Members don't see this ad.

When I chose my program, I keyed on:
1. Total cost of attendance (tuition + living expenses). While I was accepted at several programs, I opted for a state school that was 3 miles away from my house.

And that was it.

All programs have but one goal: to get you to pass the NPTE. The "real" education comes as you start working.

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose the cheapest state school even though I loved the private school more. Would I have been able to pick slightly different clinicals? Yes. The private school also had some elective options my school didn't. But now 1 year out from graduation, neither of those factors would make any difference. I had much more freedom to choose my first job because I didn't have a huge debt load weighing over me. I know people will disagree, but the salaries for PTs (in my experience) are just not that great right now. It is NOT worth going into major debt for this salary.

the salaries for PTs (in my experience) are just not that great right now.
I think it depends on the geographic location, to a large extent. I've kept in touch with a few classmates and we're in the 70-85K range, 3 years out.

It is NOT worth going into major debt for this salary.
Agree 1,000%. I scratch my head when I see folks going to Duke, Elon or USC. But you and I are non-trads so we know what it's like to juggle with a budget...

I chose the cheapest state school even though I loved the private school more. Would I have been able to pick slightly different clinicals? Yes. The private school also had some elective options my school didn't. But now 1 year out from graduation, neither of those factors would make any difference. I had much more freedom to choose my first job because I didn't have a huge debt load weighing over me. I know people will disagree, but the salaries for PTs (in my experience) are just not that great right now. It is NOT worth going into major debt for this salary.
I don't think many will disagree with you.

Non trad here as well. I worked my behind off not only to get into PT school, but to get into a state program.
Luckily I managed to land a spot at an extremely competitive program here in San Antonio, and all said and done tuition (if I cannot get any scholarships) is only 33K for all 3 years.

The idea of paying 100K or more for a degree that will land you between 60-80K a year out of school with an average ceiling of 110 a year doesnt really make a whole heck of a lot of sense.... ESPECIALLY if you are a trad student and have to take loans for living expenses on top of tuition. Graduating debt free or as close to it as possible is such a huge deal that a lot of younger students just dont seem to realize. Its not an "at all costs" kind of thing.... If you come out making 65K annually with 200,000 in total debt you are really only going to be making 40K or so a year for a looong time.... So is it really worth it?

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished my first semester of PT school. I would say one significant factor in my quality of education is class size. I have 25 students in my cohort. We all became very close immediately and are our best support systems, and I can genuinely say we all want each other to succeed- there feels like there is no real competition between us all. From talking to friends in a larger class there seems to be a different dynamic. Additionally, I feel the faculty can provide more personal feedback and education with such a small class, something I find very important when learning hands-on skills.

We also have TA's from the 3rd years, they are a great resource, I'm sure many other schools provide this as well!

Reactions: 1 user