Help With Dental School Application School List (GPA:3.97 DAT: 20)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knight003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am new to SDN. I've probably read 100s of post but never actually posted because most of the time I've been able to find threads that gave me the information I needed to know. This time the situation is more unique to me so I figured I would ask for advice. Basically I would like you guys to point out ways I can improve my application and what schools I should be applying to.

Background: I am a Junior Biology major with minors in chemistry and philosophy. I will be applying to Schools this summer. I am a Pennsylvania resident.
My GPA Is high,
Overall: 3.97, Science GPA 3.95, non-science GPA: 4.00​
My DAT score is about average for accepted student,
AA:20, TS:20, PA:18​

EC
I have been very involved on campus and in the community:

• 2 years as a class rep on student government
  • 2 years as a Resident Assistant
  • Worked all throughout college (8-10 hours a week)
  • Currently an Organic Chem SI instructor
  • Did a summer research internship at the medical school at CWRU
  • An active member in 5 clubs and honor societies
  • I have gone on a spring break service trip to the Yucatan where I was exposed to medical facilities used in the inner city mexico by at risk youth and the elderly.
  • I am the president of the largest fraternity on campus
  • I have Shadowed 50+ hours at 4 different practices (will have over 100 hours by time of application since I go in weekly)
  • Over 100+ hours of community service and am heavily involved with the american red cross so this number should go up before I apply.
  • First Generation college student
Summery:
I guess I am really just looking for advice. I figured my biggest weakness is the DAT score because I have seen a lot of people on here with a 23+ score, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of things I am unsure of because I am a first generation college student and am just going off of what people I know have told me and my limited research so please give me any advice as to which schools I should apply to and how I can improve my application.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. Your DAT is not an issue. Apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you're fine with most schools. Your DAT would only (potentially) hold you back from elite schools like Harvard, Columbia, & some OOS public top-tier schools, but that's kinda stretching it some.

Okay so I am new to SDN. I've probably read 100s of post but never actually posted because most of the time I've been able to find threads that gave me the information I needed to know. This time the situation is more unique to me so I figured I would ask for advice. Basically I would like you guys to point out ways I can improve my application and what schools I should be applying to.

Background: I am a Junior Biology major with minors in chemistry and philosophy. I will be applying to Schools this summer. I am a Pennsylvania resident.
My GPA Is high,
Overall: 3.97, Science GPA 3.95, non-science GPA: 4.00​
My DAT score is about average for accepted student,
AA:20, TS:20, PA:18​

EC
I have been very involved on campus and in the community:

• 2 years as a class rep on student government
  • 2 years as a Resident Assistant
  • Worked all throughout college (8-10 hours a week)
  • Currently an Organic Chem SI instructor
  • An active member in 5 clubs and honor societies
  • I have gone on a spring break service trip to the Yucatan where I was exposed to medical facilities used in the inner city mexico by at risk youth and the elderly.
  • I am the president of the largest fraternity on campus
  • I have Shadowed 50+ hours at 4 different practices (will have over 100 hours by time of application since I go in weekly)
  • Over 100+ hours of community service and am heavily involved with the american red cross so this number should go up before I apply.
  • First Generation college student
Summery:
I guess I am really just looking for advice. I figured my biggest weakness is the DAT score because I have seen a lot of people on here with a 23+ score, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of things I am unsure of because I am a first generation college student and am just going off of what people I know have told me and my limited research so please give me any advice as to which schools I should apply to and how I can improve my application.

Thanks so much for your time guys!

You remind me of myself, good luck to you. I have a 4.0 GPA and will take the DAT this April.I am also an RA, an orgo instructor, taken service trips, in a fraternity, in many clubs. I think we both have a great shot this upcoming cycle. Good luck to you.

[

Last edited:
you're done. you'll have to apply to Touro

You remind me of myself, good luck to you. I have a 4.0 GPA and will take the DAT this April.I am also an RA, an orgo instructor, taken service trips, in a fraternity, in many clubs. I think we both have a great shot this upcoming cycle. Good luck to you.
Thanks that is good to hear. Good luck on the DAT man!

I'd say you're fine with most schools. Your DAT would only (potentially) hold you back from elite schools like Harvard, Columbia, & some OOS public top-tier schools, but that's kinda stretching it some.
Thanks for the reply!
do you mind elaborating more on what your mean by "stretching it some". Does that mean it is stretching it some to apply to OOS public top-tier schools? or that that it would be stretching it to rule it out? I've pretty much made peace with not attending Harvard or Colombia but some OOS publics I am interested in are UNC, Michigan, VCU or Baylor.

Thanks for the reply!
do you mind elaborating more on what your mean by "stretching it some". Does that mean it is stretching it some to apply to OOS public top-tier schools? or that that it would be stretching it to rule it out? I've pretty much made peace with not attending Harvard or Colombia but some OOS publics I am interested in are UNC, Michigan, VCU or Baylor.

The latter: I think it would be a stretch to say schools may rule you out based on a 20 AA.

And if you want to attend ivys, definitely apply, just be aware they're going to be tough for ANYONE to get into.

Your list of public schools is realistic, but again, you'll still have a lot of competition and will have to prove yourself in your application and (potential) interview.

The latter: I think it would be a stretch to say schools may rule you out based on a 20 AA.

And if you want to attend ivys, definitely apply, just be aware they're going to be tough for ANYONE to get into.

Your list of public schools is realistic, but again, you'll still have a lot of competition and will have to prove yourself in your application and (potential) interview.
Love your avatar. Binding is fantastic