Help with dental admission please :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adam Rahme

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.
Canadian here who is gonna be mass applying to US dental schools.

So basically my situation is that i really messed up my first year due to severe illness (Depression + IBD) and personal problems.
Gpa first year = 1.30
but then that summer i overcame all that and got my **** together.
Second year GPA = 3.72
Third year GPA = 3.96
I got 4.0 on all the perquisites ( Orgo1, Orgo2, Biochem, Physiology, Microbiology, Gen Chem, Gen Bio, physics 1, physics 2) except english, i'll be doing it over the summer.
With that GPA, My estimate for Cumulative GPA, including the **** ton of courses i'm taking this summer that are easy 90+, would be 3.41 Overall.
Physics + Biology + Chem GPA = 3.85
Science GPA ( Including Math and Nutrition courses and Phycology) = 3.67
I have not written my DAT yet, i'll be doing so on June 30th in Canada.
I have 500+ Shadowing hours in the US and Canada, 1 dental mission trip, 400 hours of dental assisting (not sure if this counts since it was overseas in Lebanon)

With that in mind, what are my chances to get in?
I'm really really desperate at this point and will be mass applying to private schools in the US.
If someone has suggestions on specific schools to apply to, i'd really appreciate it. I have enough budget to apply to around 20-25 schools.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a decent chance to get in, especially if you can score a 21+ on the DAT.

If there’s space in a supplemental to discuss a part of your application that isn’t a reflection of you, I would explain the poor GPA and how you have grown as an individual.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a decent chance to get in, especially if you can score a 21+ on the DAT.

If there’s space in a supplemental to discuss a part of your application that isn’t a reflection of you, I would explain the poor GPA and how you have grown as an individual.
do u have recommendations of unis to apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a good chance especially with a solid DAT score. You have a great upward trend. I would not mention any depression or mental illness on your application. That can be considered a red flag.

Good evening everyone.
Canadian here who is gonna be mass applying to US dental schools.

So basically my situation is that i really messed up my first year due to severe illness (Depression + IBD) and personal problems.
Gpa first year = 1.30
but then that summer i overcame all that and got my **** together.
Second year GPA = 3.72
Third year GPA = 3.96
I got 4.0 on all the perquisites ( Orgo1, Orgo2, Biochem, Physiology, Microbiology, Gen Chem, Gen Bio, physics 1, physics 2) except english, i'll be doing it over the summer.
With that GPA, My estimate for Cumulative GPA, including the **** ton of courses i'm taking this summer that are easy 90+, would be 3.41 Overall.
Physics + Biology + Chem GPA = 3.85
Science GPA ( Including Math and Nutrition courses and Phycology) = 3.67
I have not written my DAT yet, i'll be doing so on June 30th in Canada.
I have 500+ Shadowing hours in the US and Canada, 1 dental mission trip, 400 hours of dental assisting (not sure if this counts since it was overseas in Lebanon)

With that in mind, what are my chances to get in?
I'm really really desperate at this point and will be mass applying to private schools in the US.
If someone has suggestions on specific schools to apply to, i'd really appreciate it. I have enough budget to apply to around 20-25 schools.

Thank you
Get a 20+ on the DAT, practice for interviews, and you'll be alright

If you have money, apply everywhere. Otherwise, I would advise you look over ADEA explorer to shave off your school list.

If you have money, apply everywhere. Otherwise, I would advise you look over ADEA explorer to shave off your school list.
I strongly disagree with this. You should only apply to schools you actually want to go to. If you get into some really expensive, non accredited/new school you are going to be stuck between a rock and hard place. Either you attend and suffer the financial consequences when you graduate or the school doesn't get accreditation at all and you are SOL or you decline and you have a mark on your app when you have to disclose that you got into a school last cycle but didn't attend. This isn't what happens to all students who apply everywhere but there are enough threads like this on SDN that applicants should be aware

I strongly disagree with this. You should only apply to schools you actually want to go to. If you get into some really expensive, non accredited/new school you are going to be stuck between a rock and hard place. Either you attend and suffer the financial consequences when you graduate or the school doesn't get accreditation at all and you are SOL or you decline and you have a mark on your app when you have to disclose that you got into a school last cycle but didn't attend. This isn't what happens to all students who apply everywhere but there are enough threads like this on SDN that applicants should be aware
I think it's all about having options. If you are only accepted into very expensive private schools, then it's unlikely that you will be able to get into cheaper school next cycle so I don't think declining acceptance is a very likely scenario. I don't think there's anything wrong about applying broadly if you are able to do it. At the end of the day, if you are accepted to multiple schools, good for you. If you are only accepted into expensive school, it's up to you to make the decision. If you apply to more schools, you have more options to choose from.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's all about having options. If you are only accepted into very expensive private schools, then it's unlikely that you will be able to get into cheaper school next cycle so I don't think declining acceptance is a very likely scenario. I don't think there's anything wrong about applying broadly if you are able to do it. At the end of the day, if you are accepted to multiple schools, good for you. If you are only accepted into expensive school, it's up to you to make the decision. If you apply to more schools, you have more options to choose from.
I will be applying to all accredited schools i'm eligible to apply to, mostly private ones. I really don't care at all where I go at this point, i'm that desperate.