Help with Decision Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karinni

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently applied for PhD programs in clinical, but I did not receive any interviews as of yet. I am currently on the waitlist for an interview at a few schools. My question is, should I consider applying for a master's in clinical psych before applying again? Or would it be more beneficial to just take a gap year and do more research?

Members don't see this ad.

If you know you definitely want to go on to more school in the future, taking a year to do research is probably the most time- and financially-efficient, if you can get a reasonably good position somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Define "beneficial"... This is going to vary person to person and what exactly you're trying to achieve in the end. Are you interested more in getting the highest paycheck you can get? Helping the highest number of patients you can throughout your career? Exploring the depth and boundaries of your field and progressing it? Writing books and teaching the next generation to make them even better? Is there a disagreement between the path you want to take and the path you're told you should take?

I think it goes without saying that being richer doesn't always equate to being happier or feeling more fulfilled.

I don't mean to tell you to refuse advice, but sounds like you're at one of those junctions where listening to your own gut usually yields the best possible future outcome in your own eyes.