This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bevobabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Race: Asian
cGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.79

I'm currently a junior public health major at ut austin. i plan on applying summer of 2018. haven't taken the mcat yet (plan on taking it next march, right before applying). i "became" pre-med this summer, so i guess you can say i'm kind of late to the game. im pretty much done with all of my prereqs. extracurriculars: i have a year and half's worth of research experience, but in the social sciences only. also working on an independent project/paper that i'm hoping to get published next fall. i've worked in local government as an intern for a few summers. currently working at a nonprofit part-time. volunteer regularly. i don't have any leadership positions in school orgs, because i'm just not that involved in campus life. it seems fake as hell imo. i'm on a dance team tho which is pretty fun. anyway, what's the minimum mcat score I can be satisfied with considering my other stats? don't beat around the bush. give it to me straight. I'm not aiming big in terms of schools- just want to get into a public school in texas, idc which one.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're going for MD, you need a 509+ minimum, 512 to be "comfortable" maybe

you also need healthcare volunteer and shadowing

If you're going for MD, you need a 509+ minimum, 512 to be "comfortable" maybe

you also need healthcare volunteer and shadowing

thanks! i volunteered at a community clinic this past summer, but that's about it. i volunteer regularly at a domestic violence nonprofit that offers direct services to victims. do you think the latter will make up for my lack of sufficient clinical exposure?

I think you need shadowing at the minimum, scribe would be ideal. You have good stats, but if you need a year off to boost your ECs, do it. Also, don't rush the MCAT until you are hitting 509+ on AAMC FL 1-3 (obviously, don't take these until you are comfortable with your studies)