HELP WAMC. Posted this on reddit too but figured why not here as well.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aWishingSoul

Reaction score
Read through other peoples WAMC but really need to get this off my chest.

Long story short I feel like I have absolutely no hope. I started college in 2015 at a CC(in the midwest where I am from) then transferred to a small private liberal arts college in CA in 2016 because I was a college athlete chasing the dream not caring about school(had like a 2.8 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA). I had a crazy life experience in CA and realized that medicine was it and transferred home to a notable university. My first semester I struggled because of insanely larger class sizes and my ADHD that I was diagnosed with as a child, but then started getting help from proper resources and never went below deans list, averaging a 3.7 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I also changed my major to a social science major that focuses on children and families. I am primarily set on being a DO because of the focus on peds, internal medicine, and family med. I legitimately would loooooove to work in a rural area in MT, ID, WY, SD, ND, UT, or WA due to having lived in rural MT.

This is what I look like:

-My overall cGPA is a 3.41 and sGPA is a 3.25.

-I have worked 3 summers at a peds oncology camp in MT.

-100+ Hours shadowing various family med and pediatricians.

-Worked 2 jobs while at university(non health related, janitor and office assistant for business graduate program) 29hrs/wk.

-Volunteered in hospital and as a children’s bball coach for a lot of hours.

-Member of and held positions in fraternity, specifically for STEM oriented people.

-Member of Pre-Students of Osteopathic Medicine

-Will be receiving STRONG LOR from DO who is also associate professor for pediatrics at DO school where I’m from.

-PS also struggling to find science faculty LOR because I was not a science major and don’t want to ask my med school requisite professors because those were like 300+ kid classes.

-I graduated this past spring and have been working in child care for the past 8 months 33hrs/wk due to losing my 2 university jobs cause of covid. Taking the year off to study for the MCAT and possibly get phlebotomy certification.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your MCAT is at least 500 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. 507+ and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user