Help! Uworld and NBME are telling me two different things about my level of preparation for Step 1!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandstorm223

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of some advice. For some reason, there is a serious discrepancy between my Uworld percentage and my NBME scores. I don' know what to make of it!

I've taken 2 NBMEs this week (15 and 17) and received a predicted Step 1 score of around 210 for each. Which was, in both cases, understandably depressing.

Yet this same week I have continued my first pass through Uworld doing non-tutor mode timed blocks of 40 questions...and have been CONSISTENTLY getting between 70-75% correct! It's remained consistently high, with only one block under 70% out of hundreds of questions.

So what gives? I feel like Uworld questions are so much easier than NBME, but then I've always been better at abstract integration than straight-up memorization. Should I be worried, confident, or somewhere in the middle? I've got Uworld nailed down, but I can't for the life of me get my NBME score up.

Members don't see this ad.

worried, i'm in same boat as you, I stepped my game up and improved in general. this means your just not memorizing the facts that you need to memorize for step, its an easy fix, just memorize and anki, I started to anki and it helps big time, as in anki your incorrects. and know the pharm and micro cold.