HELP! U of A Phoenix or Midwestern Glendale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kallsup

Reaction score
For anyone who has gone to either of these schools, why did you choose the one you did?
I am having a tough time deciding due to a few different factors.

I am aware of the higher tuition rate of Midwestern, but love the idea of a 3-year program since I am not fresh out of college.
U of A has a better reputation from what I have heard, but I am uncertain about the "virtual" classroom setting at the Phoenix campus, and Tucson is not an option for me.
As for the MPJE pass rate, Midwestern has a higher percent than U of A.

Ahhh, I am so torn. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Pharmacy School Specific Discussions.

As for your concern, if its not a top tier program then you must look at the following:

1) Regional Accreditation Status is current (no pending, candidate, or national accreditation)

2) Tuition + Cost of Living

3) Naplex Pass Rate

If you are a nontraditional student with plans to go straight into the work force, then perhaps a 3 year program would suit you better (this is what I'm pursuing). However, due to networking and financial comparisons: Go with the one that the overall financials are less of a burden on your wallet and checking account. Doubly so if you have a family to think about.

Personally, I prefer staying far away from "virtual - any - class - setting" and learning as I do in person. In the end, crunch the financials and at least understand what type of opportunity cost your sacrificing for each program. The numbers don't necessarily have to reflect where you'll go, but you do need to know the calculated risk tolerance (financial wise) for each program.

To each their own.

Reactions: 1 user
Moving to Pharmacy School Specific Discussions.

As for your concern, if its not a top tier program then you must look at the following:

1) Regional Accreditation Status is current (no pending, candidate, or national accreditation)

2) Tuition + Cost of Living

3) Naplex Pass Rate

If you are a nontraditional student with plans to go straight into the work force, then perhaps a 3 year program would suit you better (this is what I'm pursuing). However, due to networking and financial comparisons: Go with the one that the overall financials are less of a burden on your wallet and checking account. Doubly so if you have a family to think about.

Personally, I prefer staying far away from "virtual - any - class - setting" and learning as I do in person. In the end, crunch the financials and at least understand what type of opportunity cost your sacrificing for each program. The numbers don't necessarily have to reflect where you'll go, but you do need to know the calculated risk tolerance (financial wise) for each program.

To each their own.
Thank you for your input! Definitely a lot to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone with knowledge of the U of A-Phoenix program, U of A has better connections, opportunities and rotations in different pharmacy settings in the state and in this job market the more networking you do the better.

As for the remote classes, not all of them are remote but I would understand your hesitance about not having the professor in the room. However, the way I see it is that regardless of the setting you will end up studying by yourself or in groups in a library and thats were most of the real learning will happen. Also, you can always ask the professor during class if need be or email like it happens in Tucson's large lecture halls.

Another factor is burnout, pharmacy school is more intense than undergrad and doing it non-stop for 3 years might burn some people out. The breaks are there for a reason. Another plus (or minus) is that the extra year will allow you to do more internships and in the Phoenix area you might have more opportunities for pharmacy internships.

And finally as everyone will say, go to the cheaper school. A year in a 30-40 year career doesn't make a lot of difference but the loans will make a direct impact on your quality of life and finances.

Isn't Midwestern charging around $70k in tuition? At a minimum of 210k at 7% interest combined with the terrible job prospects you'll be looking at upon graduation (most of my class was offered $51/hr for 24 hours weekly) you'll never pay it back. UofA is a slightly worse option at $25k/ year.

I went to Midwestern and from what I know they are only acredited until 2021 and with the way things are going with reducing number of capable applicants due to job market saturation I could see them and other pharmacy schools going under. U of A will always be around so its a safer bet in terms of graduating but getting a job from either I would say you have a 50% chance in retail unless you network yourself right, which most students claim not to have time for. If you want residency midwestern isn’t any worse than U of A but just keep in mind the accreditation thing. If I had to pick between having no job and 100k in debt or having a job 250k in debt I would go with 100k...