Help!!! Tips for success inpharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misty100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, (sorry for long post in advance)

I really need some advice...... I am currently a P1 in my first semester of pharmacy school and I am struggling with the material and I don't know why. I have wanted to be a pharmacist since I was in high school and since then have devoted 5 years towards this path. I have always been a serious student with 3.7 GPA in high school graduating Magna Cum Laude and a 3.6 GPA in undergrad so it's not like I have always struggled. This semester for some reason is completely different for me. I currently have all low A's and one B in my classes so by looking at my grades alone you would think I was fine.

Here's my problem: I am having the worst problem with memory and recall. It's frustrating because I study for days for tests and still feel unprepared and feel like I can't remember anything. I don't currently have a job although in the past I worked for Target as a pharm tech for 6 months. All I do is come home and study especially since I live by myself. There are people in my class who can study the night before and get good grades but here I am spending hours upon hours and I make the same grade as them or lower with 10x the work(not that I should compare myself to others). I go to class, take notes, record my lectures, relisten to my lectures, and make 20 page study guides to condense all my notes to study off of for each test. Next biggest problem is memorizing my drugs every week(brand, generic, indications, class). I make flashcards, write them out over and over, and use my whiteboard. It takes me about 3 days to study them because I will look at a card and say it out loud and within 20 secs forget what I just went over so it takes me forever to learn them. I usually get a 100% on those quizzes every week. Problem is a few days to a week later I have completely forgotten them. I look at them and nothing comes to mind. It is as if they are Latin.

Does anyone have any study tips/advice they can give me?

I feel like I am struggling now and it concerns me for future semesters when the information is even more overwhelming and fast paced that I wont make it through the problem.

In your honest opinion, with what I have told you above should I continue in the program or should I drop out? (please don't be mean. I am intelligent enough to make it into pharmacy after all I just don't know what my problem is this semester)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi misty100,

I think you have a problem with anxiety. It has nothing to do with not being able to memorize and recall. I'm not really sure if this is it problem but I use to have problems with anxiety and it did hinder my memory. Once I was stress free I could retain and recall information well. I think this is it problem with pharmacy school being more challenging. I say start a relaxing regime with hot drinks such as herbal teas or u could try meditating or go for walks. I think you problem is more in your head than your memory.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much! I will look into it. Any other tips or things to expect in pharmacy school curriculum would be much appreciated.

what year are you? do you study by yourself or in a group? are you working?

Do you work? Working will help you solidify the info you learn in school

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
i must admit pharmacology is probably one of the hardest subjects! Study in groups. Quiz each others. Organize the information.

R u getting enough sleep. U'll b surprised how important good sleep is for u to retain info. I had the same problem like u when I was in school. It wasn't until I graduated and got the rest that I needed that I began to really retain information.

Also, try using sticky note and summarizing individual slide to help u retain the info. GL

This is a pretty good advise. Sleeping helps you consolidate your memory.

Also, try using sticky note and summarizing individual slide to help u retain the info. GL

I agree, making cards help a lot. That's how i quiz myself.

I feel you. I just finished my fourth year of the program, so I have one yr left devoted to classes/exams, then the sixth year is all rotations. I have NO social life during the school year. I say no to my family when they invite me to gatherings, so forget about hanging out with friends. I study for hours just as you said and feel as though I don't know anything. I still study til late the night before the exam and wake up early to review. I still feel like i dont remember some stuff but the exams turn out ok. I graduated HS top 25 out of my graduating class, and I was an A student the first two yrs before i got to the professional phase. My gpa is a 3.7 now. I agree with someone up here who mentioned anxiety. I haven't been diagnosed but I worry TOO much and am way too hard on myself. I always think to myself that if I cant remember this stuff now, how will i practice as a pharmacist? The truth of the matter is that if pharmacy schools are letting ppl graduate with a C+ average, then I'm sure we're not expected to be geniuses. STILL, the perfectionist inside me, or should I say the worry wart, rather, wants to be the best that she can. I drive myself crazy wondering how I'll practice in the future and I've wondered whether I should drop out too. Now I've gotten so far into the program, and many of my peers say they'd love to have grades like mine. Perhaps you and I just worry too much? Sorry this had no advice on how to study but I just wanted to let you know that I'm the same and I'm going through with it even though I doubt myself everyday. I feel your pain. Others just read their notes and do well. Just hang in there and do your best. I also feel like I forget things the week after the exam. Smh. W/e. Do what u can. I'm sure once we study for the boards it should all be reinforced especially after our sixth yr rotations with clinical work. Don't worry, be happy, and know that there are ppl out there who are far worse. PS I go to class, take notes like a maniac, read my slides SLOWLY, write the main points of slides out on looseleaf... And sometimes I don't even get to my "study sheet" but just the process of writing it out somehow helps.

my tip is get a good night sleep, know the top 200 drugs like you know your hand and get an internship asap!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you stimulating your body as you are your mind?

ie. are you having sex and working out on the regular?

Reactions: 4 users
Hello there, I was wondering are most of your tests multiple choice based and if they are the way I learned was to pick out a key word or phrase that Would help me in retaining the knowledge and I would make "A's" and I had to take 16 chapters of A&P in one semester as well as pharmacology and pharmacy practice. Graduated with a 3.692 G.P.A. And on the Dean's List. Good Luck!!!

Update us! Tell us how you are doing

Hi everyone, (sorry for long post in advance)

I really need some advice...... I am currently a P1 in my first semester of pharmacy school and I am struggling with the material and I don't know why. I have wanted to be a pharmacist since I was in high school and since then have devoted 5 years towards this path. I have always been a serious student with 3.7 GPA in high school graduating Magna Cum Laude and a 3.6 GPA in undergrad so it's not like I have always struggled. This semester for some reason is completely different for me. I currently have all low A's and one B in my classes so by looking at my grades alone you would think I was fine.

Here's my problem: I am having the worst problem with memory and recall. It's frustrating because I study for days for tests and still feel unprepared and feel like I can't remember anything. I don't currently have a job although in the past I worked for Target as a pharm tech for 6 months. All I do is come home and study especially since I live by myself. There are people in my class who can study the night before and get good grades but here I am spending hours upon hours and I make the same grade as them or lower with 10x the work(not that I should compare myself to others). I go to class, take notes, record my lectures, relisten to my lectures, and make 20 page study guides to condense all my notes to study off of for each test. Next biggest problem is memorizing my drugs every week(brand, generic, indications, class). I make flashcards, write them out over and over, and use my whiteboard. It takes me about 3 days to study them because I will look at a card and say it out loud and within 20 secs forget what I just went over so it takes me forever to learn them. I usually get a 100% on those quizzes every week. Problem is a few days to a week later I have completely forgotten them. I look at them and nothing comes to mind. It is as if they are Latin.

Does anyone have any study tips/advice they can give me?

I feel like I am struggling now and it concerns me for future semesters when the information is even more overwhelming and fast paced that I wont make it through the problem.

In your honest opinion, with what I have told you above should I continue in the program or should I drop out? (please don't be mean. I am intelligent enough to make it into pharmacy after all I just don't know what my problem is this semester)

I found that P1 was the hardest year for me. But I quickly acclimated and found a studying habit that works for me. P2 is when you start taking all the therapeutic class, so make sure you keep up with the work, otherwise, it will pile up real fast. I have some old mediation charts/tables. If you like, just PM me :)

I found that P1 was the hardest year for me. But I quickly acclimated and found a studying habit that works for me. P2 is when you start taking all the therapeutic class, so make sure you keep up with the work, otherwise, it will pile up real fast. I have some old mediation charts/tables. If you like, just PM me :)

I thought P3 was the hardest. Exams after exams.

Just thought I share this helpful chemoman video:

i also have study materials for sell. PM me if you are interested

This is a case of P1 stress. It wanes by P2 and by P3 its just whatever.

for me it is first year! I actually enjoyed 3rd year
P3 is definitely the most difficult but at that point your actually retaining info...P1 year was a complete overly stressful waste.

P3 is definitely the most difficult but at that point your actually retaining info...P1 year was a complete overly stressful waste.

what are your P1 classes? i thought P3 was the hardest

agreed...1st year is a review especially if you have a strong foundation.

Question to all pharmacists: looking back now, what was your most helpful rotation?

Question to all pharmacists: looking back now, what was your most helpful rotation?
My research rotation. It drastically improved my ability to evaluate medical literature. Other rotations were very helpful and introduced me to my current job functions; however, I feel like I could have caught up on some of that information while on the job. I can't say the same about my research rotation.

My research rotation. It drastically improved my ability to evaluate medical literature. Other rotations were very helpful and introduced me to my current job functions; however, I feel like I could have caught up on some of that information while on the job. I can't say the same about my research rotation.

Did you end up doing a residency?

how many hours of studying per day is reasonable for the average pharmacy student if I have 5-6 hours of class time each day? What about on the weekends?

Depends on you...I think I studied at least 10 hrs a week

how many hours of studying per day is reasonable for the average pharmacy student if I have 5-6 hours of class time each day? What about on the weekends?

I studied at least 3 hours a day.

Study the notes before going to lectures

Do you still have them?

In a pharmacy profession, one needs to have a good knowledge about the medicines as well as their usage. It is important to pay full attention while learning the names of the medicines. You must try some concentration exercises that will help you to get good scores while preparing for the exams. One of my friends was facing the same kind of problem when we studied together and now he is doing well in a Genscripts pharmacy.

In a pharmacy profession, one needs to have a good knowledge about the medicines as well as their usage. It is important to pay full attention while learning the names of the medicines. You must try some concentration exercises that will help you to get good scores while preparing for the exams. One of my friends was facing the same kind of problem when we studied together and now he is doing well in a Genscripts pharmacy.

what resources do you recommend?

I want to add that work helps a lot. It enforces what you have been learning.

do you work? if not, I say 8 hours per week is usual.

Thank you so much! I will look into it. Any other tips or things to expect in pharmacy school curriculum would be much appreciated.

Plan to work in hospital?

my tip is get a good night sleep, know the top 200 drugs like you know your hand and get an internship asap!

working is the key to remember the important points!