HELP! Student appeal committee meeting tomorrow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does your school offer remediation for students failing anatomy by 3 pts? (Please name your school)

• Yes

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawhat1491

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is a strangely specific question.

I've been told that Duke will let you remediate if you fail by 2 points. If you fail by 3 you are considered hopeless

You are going to have to repeat first year with this attitude. Trying to tell them that other schools do it differently is not going to change their mind, and put them in an adversarial mind frame. You need to show them that you have fixed what caused you to fail int he first place and how if given the opportunity you will pass a remediation. Also this is the third thread you have made about this asking the same thing.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school does not offer remediation for students failing anatomy. I failed by 3 points. Tomorrow I have to sit down with the student appeal committee and plead my case so that I can advance forward and remediate during the summer. It's really important for me to know which schools offer anatomy remediation to their students because tomorrow they are going to tell me that they are doing this for my own good, but if I have examples of highly successful schools that allow remediation, I will be able to make my point.

I am highly motivated to work hard during the summer, attend whatever program they ask, and master anatomy.
I feel compelled to point out that whether you failed by 3 points or 30 is irrelevant. You failed to display the barest level of competency in the subject, much less any sort of mastery.

If you had failed at my school, you'd be allowed to remediate, provided that you had no other academic issues. NO, I'm not naming names. It's a TOS violation to ask this of us, BTW. I doubt that telling your committee that "Harvard, Albany and Case allow people to remediate" will do you any good. Your school has its own policies\, and sticking to them is an accreditation mandate.

Reactions: 1 users
You’re going to repeat barring some exceptional circumstances which it sounds like do not exist in this case. This is likely a well established policy. A friend of mine is repeating all of first year for failing a second semester class by one point. It sucks, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

You should use this as an opportunity to mature and realize that you’re not special. The rules apply to you.

Best chance is to come with hat in hand and grovel. Telling them that their policies are wrong is the worst idea.

To support their policies, my classmates that barely squeaked by and/or remediated were the ones that struggled on boards.

With that attitude, you are hopeless lol
They aren't wrong here...if you go in and tell them their policies are dumb you're screwed. You failed. Suck it up, take ownership, and deal with the consequences. If you continually make the same thread you will get the same answers

There are 33 DO schools, why dont you google the handbooks for each and print it off and bring it to the meeting. We are telling you that this is going to end badly for you the way you are handling this, but if you are adamant do the work atleast.

Reactions: 3 users
Their policies per the student handbook indicate that remediation is a possibility, they just dont follow it for that class. Im not making the same thread, i wanted to have an idea what schools offer remediation to their students but nobody is answering, im just getting opinions that i don’t need. I did not know that asking about what schools allow remediation was a violation because i could google it myself but i was hoping some insight prior to that.
Okay...but telling them what other schools have a certain policy doesn't change a thing. And 3 vs 30 doesn't mean jack. You failed to get enough points. Sure you're 3 under the limit, but what about the other 30-40% of the points you missed? All you can do is point out the policy that you keep talking about and hope they change it. Also, I highly doubt that they are blatantly not following their own handbook for one class. Based on your reactions to people, it sure seems like you're reading the policy a certain way that suits your needs. You need to calmly make your case, and if it doesn't go your way you need to own the fact you failed. It is nobody's fault but yours because there were other people in your situation with the hurricane that didn't fail. Best of luck but this is 99.9% going to blow up in your face if you handle it the way you're talking about handling it

The handbook states that remediation is a possibility, but they aren’t following their own handbook. Hence, it is not a established policy. Some of the exceptional circumstances include a level four hurricane that left some students such as myself without power for a week while other students had power and were able to efficiently study.

I know where you are now. Your best chance is to grovel. Come in with a plan of how you changed your study habits and the trajectory of your grades changed after that. If you failed by 3 points then you have a better chance to remediate than your fellow classmates that failed. The last 2 years, they allowed the students who only failed anatomy by a close portion to remediate. The people that failed by a decent amount or failed MM as well were repeated. They follow this policy because fall semester is the foundation and those before you have struggled when allowed to remediate those 2 classes. Like I said above, the remediating students struggled on boards, of the repeaters I know from the 1st semester, they did not struggle in class or boards after having to repeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Many of the other people that dealt with the hurricane had electricity, internet, and all the comodities needed to efficiently study. I have 20/20 eyesight but unfortunately i cannot study in the dark with a laptop without battery. I made a 9 hour drive back home, and two days later, i had to drive back to school. They gave us 2 week’s worth of classes in a single week, and the students that were unfortunate enough to live in the area without power paid the price. This is why 3 vs 30 points does matter, because losing days of study and falling behind might not cost you 30 points, but it might cost you the 3 i needed to pass.

2. My student handbook lists options for remediation...
A. Take off-campus course
B. Pass remediation exam
C. Forming academic plan

Please explain to me how am i reading it differently?
I'm seeing more excuses. You have to OWN this. How did you perform in your other classes?

Thank you for your advice! I improved a gread deal on the last exams and my strength is self study so i know that with summer i will be able to make up any deficiencies in knowledge.

Just so that you dont shoot yourself, they dont like being told they're wrong, because they view it as a sign of immaturity. Own it and you have a much higher chance getting out unscathed. You are better off preparing a plan moving forward than blaming it on the hurricane. Their response will be something about in future career you will have emergencies/natural disaster/etc and you can't just not come through as a doctor due to outside circumstances. Also, go talked to the students that were repeated.

Student A received a 70 in anatomy, passes and takes off the summer off to watch netflix and play basketball.

Student B received a 67 in anatomy, remediates the summer, spends about 300 hours of anatomy study time and does well in the remediation course. Takes school exam, passes with flying colors.

Which student do you think will have a better knowledge base when it comes to boards?
Really, STOP thinking like a pre-med. The answer is both students are at high risk for failing Boards.

We're trying to help you, and you're not going to hear what you want to hear, but what you need to hear.

Last edited:
No, you’re the one picking on the person that’s just asking for advice and judging me without knowing the full story.
You gave the story, we gave you good advice, and when it was advice you didnt want to hear you are arguing with us. When any reasonable person reads this, it means the SPC can do what ever it see's fit including repeating the year. Your school already has the policies in place to have you remediate and yet is choosing to not let you do so. That says a whole lot about what your schools thinks of your performance and ability to re-mediate.
upload_2018-12-17_16-19-47.png

Reactions: 1 user
You gave the story, we gave you good advice, and when it was advice you didnt want to hear you are arguing with us. When any reasonable person reads this, it means the SPC can do what ever it see's fit including repeating the year. Your school already has the policies in place to have you remediate and yet is choosing to not let you do so. That says a whole lot about what your schools thinks of your performance.
View attachment 244469

To be fair to OP, their default is repeating for the first semester.

To be fair to OP, their default is repeating for the first semester.
right, telling them they are wrong is bound to bring a result, just not one that OP would like. OP is in no position to bargain or make them see the error of their ways. OP needs to grovel, accept responsibility, and show how it will not happen again and how they think thye are capable of successfully re mediating over summer .

Student A received a 70 in anatomy, passes and takes off the summer off to watch netflix and play basketball.

Student B received a 67 in anatomy, remediates the summer, spends about 300 hours of anatomy study time and does well in the remediation course. Takes school exam, passes with flying colors.

Which student do you think will have a better knowledge base when it comes to boards?
The reason it’s irrelevant is because if both numbers fail, the person never gets to the boards without a better number

One of them failed to achieve the minimum competency required to go forward in their education. The other one met that standard. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

My school’s handbook says that you can remediate, hence why i’m having such attitude.

My school is pretty new so they don’t have much statistical basis for their policies. They base their policies on the statistics of other schools.

I scored 10 points above class average on the last anatomy exams.

This is my third thread because this is an open forum and i need help from people with more experience. All help is appreciated.
Just don't get yourself kicked out. This is not the end of the world. It sucks, but so does the rest of DO school. You have to learn to deal with these kinds of things, and if you can't it might be better to get out now cause that would save you some frustration.

I would try to talk them into letting me remediate over the summer. If you were passing overall, but only failed one component I would emphasize that. If ACOM has a PA program that does anatomy over the summer, ask it you can do that. Mention that LMU does that (as they are sister schools in a way). But emphasize that you understand that you failed to meet the minimum competancy and you understand that they want to hold their students to high standards. Emphasize any improvement you had over the semester or any new study methods that you acquired that will make you more likely to succeed this time.

But overall, just be ready to repeat the year if that's what they decide. You don't have a choice in that matter other than quitting DO school. You can do this, even if it sucks, just take advantage of the time and study like crazy.

Telling admin they're wrong will never work. Even if they are wrong, they will smite you for being so aggressive, especially if most other passed the class. Addressing changes in the curriculum/standards comes from working with your student government & composing a professional argument is the way you make a change like that.

What you should do is - with the utmost respect & humble attitude - explain that you did above average on the last couple exams (like you said you did), followed by an explanation of why you did poorly on the first one (or few; were you sick? did you go through a breakup? was it like the beginning of med school & you were trying to figure life out?), followed by a plan to dominate the class if given the opportunity to remediate.

If you articulate the above message in the correct way, I would bet money they will let you remediate.

Telling admin they're wrong will never work. Even if they are wrong, they will smite you for being so aggressive, especially if most other passed the class. Addressing changes in the curriculum/standards comes from working with your student government & composing a professional argument is the way you make a change like that.

What you should do is - with the utmost respect & humble attitude - explain that you did above average on the last couple exams (like you said you did), followed by an explanation of why you did poorly on the first one (or few; were you sick? did you go through a breakup? was it like the beginning of med school & you were trying to figure life out?), followed by a plan to dominate the class if given the opportunity to remediate.

If you articulate the above message in the correct way, I would bet money they will let you remediate.
This, and also come up with a plan for your remediation. Telling them you're being proactive goes a long way for helping you.

The handbook states that remediation is a possibility, but they aren’t following their own handbook. Hence, it is not a established policy. Some of the exceptional circumstances include a level four hurricane that left some students such as myself without power for a week while other students had power and were able to efficiently study.
You should really consider protecting your anonymity. Anyone could figure out who you are at your school and you’ve basically made 3 threads that insult the adminstration you should be kissing up to.

Did everyone without power during the hurricane fail the class? It’s great that you were able to outperform the class on the last three exams. You’re conveniently not acknowledging that you still drastically underperformed in comparison to your classmates overall. Accept responsibility for your actions. That’s a big part of being a med student, a doctor, and really just a functional adult.

If your school isn’t following their own handbook/guidelines, you have an argument there. But only if you make it calmly, respectfully, and from a headspace where you realize they have all the authority, and that you are in this position because of your own screwup (whether that’s 0.3%, 3%, or 30% below the cutoff). Other schools’ policies are irrelevant to your point.

1. Many of the other people that dealt with the hurricane had electricity, internet, and all the comodities needed to efficiently study. I have 20/20 eyesight but unfortunately i cannot study in the dark with a laptop without battery. I made a 9 hour drive back home, and two days later, i had to drive back to school. They gave us 2 week’s worth of classes in a single week, and the students that were unfortunate enough to live in the area without power paid the price. This is why 3 vs 30 points does matter, because losing days of study and falling behind might not cost you 30 points, but it might cost you the 3 i needed to pass.

2. My student handbook lists options for remediation...
A. Take off-campus course
B. Pass remediation exam
C. Forming academic plan

Please explain to me how am i reading it differently?

Not a single classmate offered you their floor to crash on?! I think you need reflect on what that says about you...

Even if you were only kinda chill, I'm sure someone would've given you a futon and a bowl of Captain Crunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.