HELP! Stick with a possible C in Anatomy or drop with a W and retake.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drop with a W or stay and receive a C

• Total voters

Bucci100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

New here, I'm currently stuck in a very stressful situation that may affect my chances of getting in Med School/PT School. I'm currently taking Anatomy at my local CC and my current grade is a mid C(76-77) that maybe could go up. The last day to drop the class with a W is tomorrow, Nov. 10th. Sadly, I underestimated the amount of time you have to study for a good grade in this course and took 2 other classes that are very time consuming. We have less than a month left in the semester and there's only 2 lecture exams & 1 lab practical left that could possibly bump or lower my grade.

I'm really worried how bad a C in Anatomy would look when applying to universities and later on to med or PT school. I know it's a very important pre requisite course for anything related in the medical field which truly concerns me. I try to study the most I possibly can but with my classes, part time job and a ill mother, time becomes limited. I already have 3 Ws on my transcript from a previous semester when my mother was diagnosed. Would a 4th W be even worst than a C in Anatomy at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anatomy is not even a requirement for med school, let alone a very important one. It might be a pre-req for some majors...but certainly not for med school.

And a C won't kill you as long as most of your other grades are good.

Reactions: 1 user
Anatomy is not even a requirement for med school, let alone a very important one. It might be a pre-req for some majors...but certainly not for med school.

And a C won't kill you as long as most of your other grades are good.

OK, isn't it very important for PT School though and a C wouldn't reflect well compared to other candidates when apply to them. My current major is Kinesiology at the moment so the C worries me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

New here, I'm currently stuck in a very stressful situation that may affect my chances of getting in Med School/PT School. I'm currently taking Anatomy at my local CC and my current grade is a C(76-77). The last day to drop the class with a W is tomorrow, Nov. 10th. Sadly, I underestimated the amount of time you have to study for a good grade in this course and took 2 other classes that are very time consuming. We have less than a month left in the semester and there's only 2 lecture exams & 1 lab practical left that could possibly bump or lower my grade.

I'm really worried how bad a C in Anatomy would look when applying to universities and later on to med or PT school. I know it's a very important pre requisite course for anything related in the medical field which truly concerns me. I try to study the most I possibly can but with my classes, part time job and I'll mother, time becomes limited. I already have 3 Ws on my transcript from a previous semester when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Would a 4th W be even worst than a C in Anatomy at this point?
Anatomy isn't a req for medical school and thank God it isn't. Just a bunch of memorization only to forget it weeks after the final. Take that W and formulate a good reason why.

Anatomy isn't a req for medical school and thank God it isn't. Just a bunch of memorization only to forget it weeks after the final. Take that W and formulate a good reason why.
What about for PT School? How bad would a C look in Anatomy. I also received my first ever C in Bio 101 last semester which is quite embarrassing.

What about for PT School? How bad would a C look in Anatomy. I also received my first ever C in Bio 101 last semester which is quite embarrassing.
I know nothing about P.T. From what I know, my University rarely takes CC credits and when it does- it is never considered into the individual's GPA. A C in Anatomy can be explained away since it's a useless memorization based class.

Whether or not you take the C in Anatomy is up to you however I'm not sure how Med schools see 'w's from a community college. Telling you to not take the w contradicts what I said earlier however it's just now registering to me that you're in a CC.

A few Ws are fine but start looking bad if you have too many. A few Cs are fine but start looking bad if you have too many. Tell us what your GPA is, and how many you have of each, and then we can help you...

Reactions: 1 users
Take the W. If you only have 1-2 it won't matter. A couple C's can seriously hurt your GPA.

A few Ws are fine but start looking bad if you have too many. A few Cs are fine but start looking bad if you have too many. Tell us what your GPA is, and how many you have of each, and then we can help you...

My GPA is currently a 3.8 I currently have 3 Ws from Bio 101, Trig & Intro to Biochem. I received a C in Bio class so that may look worst.

Take the W. If you only have 1-2 it won't matter. A couple C's can seriously hurt your GPA.
Unfortunately, I already have 3 Ws. I'm really concerned that a C in Anatomy would look horrible if I decide to apply to PT schools.

My GPA is currently a 3.8 I currently have 3 Ws from Bio 101, Trig & Intro to Biochem. I received a C in Bio class so that may look worst.

I actually voted yes, but if this is what your transcript looks like I’d take the C and run.

Wait you have a C and a W in Bio 101? What exactly is making your GPA a 3.8?

Unfortunately, I already have 3 Ws. I'm really concerned that a C in Anatomy would look horrible if I decide to apply to PT schools.
Take the C sweety.

4 Ws on your report card from a CC will not look good at all especially since these are in your courses that you'll need for med school anyways. I should be the last one to talk with my trash GPA however you really need to rethink your study habits. You're taking Ws in courses that are required for medical school. Keep in mind you have to continue into math until Calc II. Bio 101 is one of the pre req courses for the 4 or so upper level bio courses you're required to take for medical school. I don't know your year but biochem is necessary at virtually all medical schools however since that's one many take during their Sophomore or Junior year it's easily one you can retake.

I don't mean to be harsh when I point all of this out but I just want this to be a wake up call. You're clearly doing something right since your GPA is at a 3.8- just translate these study habits to your premed requirements. If this is making you scared if really should. Med school is no joke, I cry nearly once per week on whether or not I'll be able to make it into med school.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Just make sure to continue working hard, persist, and remember that you still have a final left so your grade isn't set into stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the C sweety.

4 Ws on your report card from a CC will not look good at all especially since these are in your courses that you'll need for med school anyways. I should be the last one to talk with my trash GPA however you really need to rethink your study habits. You're taking Ws in courses that are required for medical school. Keep in mind you have to continue into math until Calc II. Bio 101 is one of the pre req courses for the 4 or so upper level bio courses you're required to take for medical school. I don't know your year but biochem is necessary at virtually all medical schools however since that's one many take during their Sophomore or Junior year it's easily one you can retake.
What is this nonsense? For the vast majority of MD schools you only need stats. For a few you need 6 credits of "college level" math, of which 3 can be stats. A few random schools require calc, but that number gets smaller every year. As for 4?! upper level bio courses, you only need biochem. That's just one course.

Even though it’s not a required course it will still count toward your BCPM GPA

What is this nonsense? For the vast majority of MD schools you only need stats. For a few you need 6 credits of "college level" math, of which 3 can be stats. A few random schools require calc, but that number gets smaller every year. As for 4?! upper level bio courses, you only need biochem. That's just one course.
I'm going based off of my school's med school requirements for the 4 semester biology requirement. Not sure what you mean by nonsense but please keep your rude remarks to yourself hun. My school also requires a full year of math up until Calc 2.

I think ultimately you’ll be fine taking a C for the course, but you’ll need to make sure that you don’t make a habit of damaging your BCPM gpa. You’ve got plenty of opportunity to improve from one course, especially if you’re a STEM major. I would definitely research and take only required coursework from here on out, and when you take an elective BCPM course you need to kill it.

Wait you have a C and a W in Bio 101? What exactly is making your GPA a 3.8?

Unfortunately yes, I received a C when I retook it last semester and also got a B in gen chem which lowered my 4.0 to 3.8

Also wanted to let everybody know that I recently talked to the SI of another anatomy teacher in my college and she's supposedly way easier than my current teacher. She provides study guides, practice test before every test, SI sessions, and her lecture exams are mostly multiple choice. My current teacher doesn't provide anything mentioned above, I believed multiple choice tests are prohibited in anatomy but she does them. Many people say she's very lenient and told me I could join her class next semester but that would delay my graduation for my Kinesiology degree as I still need to take Physiology after I'm done with Anatomy.

I'm going based off of my school's med school requirements for the 4 semester biology requirement. Not sure what you mean by nonsense but please keep your rude remarks to yourself hun. My school also requires a full year of math up until Calc 2.
One school in the country requires linear algebra, diff-eq, and more. However, I can't find a single school on MSAR that require more than a year of gen bio and biochem. Let alone 4 upper level bio courses. Until the unlikely event you post a link, you are #fakenews.

One school in the country requires linear algebra, diff-eq, and more. However, I can't find a single school on MSAR that require more than a year of gen bio and biochem. Let alone 4 upper level bio courses. Until the unlikely event you post a link, you are #fakenews.
I'll pass with exposing my details over the internet. I'll take the fakenews.

Unfortunately yes, I received a C when I retook it last semester and also got a B in gen chem which lowered my 4.0 to 3.8
Although it's good to stress to get to a good point, don't stress too much. I wish the best for you.

Drop it and move on. Be concerned with why YOU keep getting Cs and Ws. It isn't that the professor is just harder than others...Likely a time management issue.

Although it's good to stress to get to a good point, don't stress too much. I wish the best for you.

Drop it and move on. Be concerned with why YOU keep getting Cs and Ws. It isn't that the professor is just harder than others...Likely a time management issue.

I was told a couple of times that I had bitten off too much to chew but I thought I could pull through. I have the chance to retake in a 5 week class or a full semester class.