This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scps1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like some advice on this! I am an incoming P1 student and I am considering skipping the first day of class. I have this huge family reunion I planned to go to and would have to miss the first day of class. I already booked the tickets and everything and emailed one of the peer advisors for advice but didn't get a response. Would it be really bad if I miss the first day? Will I miss anything important? Would the professor notice? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just do it...Don't worry....I skipped 60% of my class for first year and 90% during second year...Nothing happened.

Reactions: 1 users
Your school probably has some sort of orientation. I would check that schedule because they will likely not let you miss orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't show up on my orientation, but I did make a phone call to the school stating emergency situation....and they were okay with that. I skipped nearly 60% lecture during P1 and 90% during P2. I only showed up on exam dates or review sessions. But back then my school didn't have attendance policy. I heard they changed it after (lol...maybe because of people like me).

Reactions: 2 users
Your school probably has some sort of orientation. I would check that schedule because they will likely not let you miss orientation.
We actually have orientation the week before so I won't be missing that! Just the first day.

first day is usually not that important anyways, especially if you have an event like that to go to. My first day of classes were just intros and syllabus

My school never took roll. Everyone takes the first couple months so serious and then they slack off the rest of the 4 years. Enjoy the first day off.

Reactions: 1 user
Your dedication to your career is amazing. I hope you do the same thing on your first day of work as a pharmacist.

Reactions: 5 users
Not a good idea, majority of clinical pharmacy is taught on the first day... you'll never catch up...

On a serious note, Proly not a huge deal if you get notes and don't miss handing any important forms... just a bit unusual, that you would choose to attend a family event instead of being there for the start of an important and expensive chapter of your life that you worked hard for... unless it was a funeral, I would feel odd missing school for an event like that

Reactions: 3 users
Not a good idea, majority of clinical pharmacy is taught on the first day... you'll never catch up...

On a serious note, Proly not a huge deal if you get notes and don't miss handing any important forms... just a bit unusual, that you would choose to attend a family event instead of being there for the start of an important and expensive chapter of your life that you worked hard for... unless it was a funeral, I would feel odd missing school for an event like that
Well I mean my grandfather is dying so I would like to see him before he goes. This is the first time I've ever skipped the first day of class which is why I'm asking people if its okay.

Well I mean my grandfather is dying so I would like to see him before he goes. This is the first time I've ever skipped the first day of class which is why I'm asking people if its okay.
It's totally fine. The only reason to miss your family reunion is if you would prefer to be in class. You may want to check the student handbook to make sure that there isn't an attendance policy, but it isn't a big deal.

People get all concerned about attendance early on and then they stop showing up. It's actually easier for instructors to tell who is missing when there's only 30 people filling seats. Seats will be full the first day, and no one will notice that you aren't there.

This is coming from someone who only missed ~6 half days for IPPE rotations during all 3 didactic years. It's really not a big deal unless it's a big deal to you.

You are bragging about only missing ~6 half days of rotations?! I don't think I missed ANY rotation days...is it normal for people to skip rotation days?!

You are bragging about only missing ~6 half days of rotations?! I don't think I missed ANY rotation days...is it normal for people to skip rotation days?!
Not bragging :) and ~6 half-days of lectures in order to complete IPPE rotations. I felt like it might be nice to have support from someone who only missed class when absolutely necessary. Most of the "go for it" posts seemed to be from people who often missed class. Sorry if it seemed braggy. It's pretty bad if I'm bragging about attending class a couple years ago.

Edit: It probably means I'm dumber than you all since I couldn't miss class and still do a good job.

Last edited:
The only class that I found useful for my career in P1 was pharmacology. The rest was junk and unless. I don't even remember crap about buffering system, Ochem or medicinal chemistry taught in P1. P2 was definitely was the bread and butter. You need to do well in P2 for your own knowledge/career/board exam.

While some professors were very helpful and knowledgeable, the rest were just reading off from the power point/pdf slides. I stayed home most of time during these useless lecture. Google was my best teacher.

I figured out the days when my preceptor wouldn't be there. Those days I'd stop by in the morning so someone from the pharmacy could see me, maybe update my notes about a few of the patients, then just go hang out with friends.

I skipped my first day because my wedding was the day before and it was across the state. Didnt really miss much according to classmates.