HELP- school decision problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyGrl18424

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! i just got accepted into University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign but i was wondering.. are there any other schools in illinois with better vet programs? And just how good is U of I? i heard that they have a really strong vet program.. but what do u guys think? Is the pre vet gppa program at UIC better? THANX!

Members don't see this ad.

Your best chance (in my humble opinion and statistically) is the school that has VET. SCHOOL. For example, my state school is VA-MD and they took 23 people from Virginia Tech, so U of I is a good choice for in-state (theoretically, your highest chance of getting in). Also, don't forget to volunteer during your breaks/summers at a vet. clinic or other vet. med related establishment and keep your GPA up. Good Luck.

hi! i just got accepted into University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign but i was wondering.. are there any other schools in illinois with better vet programs? And just how good is U of I? i heard that they have a really strong vet program.. but what do u guys think? Is the pre vet gppa program at UIC better? THANX!

To clarify, do you mean you got accepted into undergrad and are looking for info on which schools have good vet programs so you can make a more informed undergrad choice?

It's not essential that you go to a school that has a vet school. There are probably both benefits and drawbacks to this. But since I didn't go to one of those schools, I can't speak to them. I was just curious whether you were talking grad or undergrad. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently a senior in highschool and i applied as an undergraduate student. :)

The best advice I can give is to go where you think you can thrive. If you think UIC will be a great school for you, then attend, but if you don't like its size, location, student body, etc then don't go there. Yes, the fact that it has a vet school is a nice plus because it pretty much ensures you can get helpful and accurate pre-vet counseling/instruction, but there are better reasons to decide on a school.

The best advice I can give is to go where you think you can thrive. If you think UIC will be a great school for you, then attend, but if you don't like its size, location, student body, etc then don't go there. Yes, the fact that it has a vet school is a nice plus because it pretty much ensures you can get helpful and accurate pre-vet counseling/instruction, but there are better reasons to decide on a school.

agreed

Your best chance (in my humble opinion and statistically) is the school that has VET. SCHOOL. For example, my state school is VA-MD and they took 23 people from Virginia Tech, so U of I is a good choice for in-state (theoretically, your highest chance of getting in). Also, don't forget to volunteer during your breaks/summers at a vet. clinic or other vet. med related establishment and keep your GPA up. Good Luck.

This is not always the case. UC Davis actually publishes the statistics of how many applied and how many were accepted from all the state schools, and while UCD had the most accepted, they also had a very very large number who applied, so the percentage wasn't any different from the normal percentage.

There may be intangible benefits to it, like getting to know professors, doing vet related research, and things like that, but I don't think that they are biased with admissions towards current UCD students.

Hello, thought I'd add my .02.
The school the OP is talking about is UIUC in Urbana-Champaign. UIC is in Chicago.

UIUCCVM has a close relationship with Undergrad, and the college of ACES to be specific.
As a person who attended UIUC for half of my undergrad, I would say that you will get to know the animals that you will see at CVM. If you are a member of pre-vet club you also get an opportunity to attend wetlabs, assist in spays and neuters at a local shelter, attend symposium, and sit in on conferences and lectures at the vet school. Also, for a few core courses, the same professor teaches at CVM. I had a repro class with vet students in it, (if not for the snow storm last spring, I would have sat in the vet school listening to a lecture on the new equine x-ray machine.)

Being this closely associated with CVM may be a plus or a minus for you.

There is also a CC in the same town that offers concurrent enrollment for lower level classes. Can you say less tuition money?

There may be other schools in the state that you can attend for undergrad that cost less than the big U. You would have to be careful to make sure that the classes will count for what you need to apply. This is true for every vet school, though. If you feel you don't need a relationship with the vet school other than with admissions, then another school might be a good fit. Don't rule out the option of transfering.

Also, Illinois does accept a lot of students from in state. I'm thinking about 70% or more. The rest would be out of state. I don't have stats for where in the state the students come from.

I wanted an undergrad school that was associated with a vet school -- for the obvious: 1) pre-vet advising, and 2) research & other involvement. Both which I found and was glad I had. However, I do to some extent wish that I had gone to some funky liberal arts school in some odd town, majored in something very random and did a semester abroad somewhere....