Help! Reapplicant Advice / Application Review (MA ORM, High Stat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biotechguru

Reaction score
xxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do not need an additional degree or coursework. What likely held you back was low clinical experience. You will need more than 100 hours, so I would recommend waiting a year to apply.

How many hours of non-clinical volunteering did you have for each of the activities you mentioned? The IAs are not a major red flag, just ensure your explanation for it on AMCAS was about you accepting your mistake. Do not bring it up again in your personal statement or other essays. What was your school list?

Gain more clinical experience through scribing or being an MA as you mentioned. The MPH is fine then if you would like it for your own career goals. The degree and grades will not add anything to your application though except for possibly George Washington.

If you can continue doing similar non-clinical volunteering, that would help. Perhaps something long-term again you can do with disabled children or the homeless shelter. Your activities were good but were just 140 hours at the time of your app. I would not categorize this as strong. With only 100 hours of clinical experience compared to 1500 hours of research, you seemed more of a PhD candidate.

You could apply to the following:

Einstein
BU
Hofstra
Emory
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Harvard (if you want)
Quinnipiac
Tufts
UMass
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo
Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
EVMS
VCU
Rochester
Miami
MCW
Vermont
USF Morsani
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Oakland
Hackensack
Nova MD

DO:
NYIT
PCOM
KCOM
Marian
KCU
DMU

I’m not saying this to offend or anything but I think it’s important because our perceptions shape behaviors. Thus, the perception of one’s application strength dictates which schools one applies to.

3.7/517 isn’t really “high stat” anymore, especially in a state like Massachusetts.

Apply to more mid and low tier MDs and some DO