[HELP] Re-Take MCAT? + Worried about my Application (Ontario)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chanran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an undergraduate biochemistry student in Canada, and am hoping to apply to Ontario medical schools (possibly out of province and country as well) next year, my fourth year. I wrote the *old* MCAT last summer and ended up with a 31 (11 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS). I've tried to do some research whether I should retake the MCAT or not, but can't really make a decision. From what I've read, a 31 is decent enough to apply with in Ontario, with most of the average accepted MCAT scores sitting a tad higher; should I retake it with the hopes of scoring a little higher and go through it all again this summer? I'm pretty scared just because of the new test, but I do have a background in biochemistry and psychology, but no sociology.

Also if anyone could help me specifically in Ontario, I'm really worried about my overall application. As I said, my MCAT score last year was 31, but my GPA isn't too hot, it was only about a 3.60 in my first year; my second year was a little higher than a 3.7, and this year, because I screwed up my first semester, I'm working hard now to attain a year-cumulative 3.7. My non-academic portion is pretty strong, however, with research experience, an upcoming undergraduate thesis, volunteer work, and I'm even a president of an university-sanctioned club. I'm definitely going to try to raise my GPA next year, but at this point how worried should I be?

TLDR; Got a 31 MCAT score last year, should I retake it? My GPA isn't too hot, how worried should I be?

Members don't see this ad.

You should take the new MCAT just for longevity of the score if anything else.

For example, UBC will only take the old score for one more application cycle and U of A and U of C have stopped accepting the old scores completely. U of T says they'll take the old score for this cycle, but hasn't confirmed anything for the coming years.

The average Canadian applicant takes 3 tries to get in, so it's always good to plan for the future.

One thing to note, if you decide to write the new MCAT, the med school will take the new score regardless of how well you did on it in comparison to the old score. So prep well

Thanks for the reply!

Looks like Ill have to take it again. Any comments about my application?