Help! Prereqs as MCAT prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mo3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I tried looking through the forums for a post with my situation but couldn't quite find anything of use. So, here we go!

I'm a 26 y/o and about 3 years removed from my bachelor's degree that didn't involve any of the science prereqs. I'm changing careers from teaching to medicine and have been taking the prereqs through various institutions as a non-degree seeking student. I've finished Bio I, II, Chem I and am finishing Chem II. I'm enrolled in Physics I and am getting ready to start O-Chem I then Bio-Chem around the beginning of the year. In all, I'll have completed all of the prereqs in succession before I take the MCAT at the end of May.

My original plan was to try to cruise through the prereqs as fast as possible to leave as much time as I could to specifically prep for the MCAT. I'm starting to question whether or not that's a good idea.

Should I cruise through the prereqs and then turn to MCAT prep resources for a couple of months before the test? Or, should I take my time on the prereqs and use them as my MCAT prep? Is using the prereqs as MCAT prep effective? If I have just completed all of the prereqs, how much time should I plan on leaving to devote to specific MCAT prep? Thanks!

@Goro @LizzyM @SN2ed @mcatjelly any direction?? Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people need quite a bit of extra preparation in addition to the pre-reqs to do well. However, this preparation can be done at the same time as pre-reqs. You can study throughout the semester. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if your class and work schedule will allow you enough time to prepare for the MCAT before May. Most people use prep books and take multiple practice exams before sitting for the real thing.

Hi @Mo3....We are so similar! I'm a 25 y/o, graduated several years ago with a teaching degree, now pursuing medicine.

I'm a little bit confused about your timeline, though. When do you plan on taking Organic and Biochem? Generally, Organic I and sometimes II are required for biochem. When you say at the beginning of the year, do you mean the beginning of 2016, or the beginning of next school year? Dates would be helpful.

Personally, I did Organic I + II over this last summer, and am finishing Biochem this semester. I will be spending all of Jan-April studying for the MCAT, on top of the pre-reqs I finished. Even though I aced all of the pre-reqs, it is still important to set a solid chunk of time for MCAT prep. It's a different beast - it doesn't just require the knowledge of the content (which you can get from your classes) but also requires learning how to take the test. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but based on everything I've read on SDN, it's very wise to give yourself some dedicated study time.

Thanks guys! So, to explain a little further, I'll be finishing my prereqs "at my own pace." My plan was to just cruise through them spending a couple of weeks at a time one each one to finish and leave myself 3-4 months to prep to take the MCAT in May. I was just wondering if it would be smarter to slow down with my prereqs and focus more on understanding everything then taking 1-2 months of strictly MCAT prep instead of just going through quick and maybe losing some depth in understanding but giving myself 3-4 months of MCAT prep. Does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we are talking about different things here. When I say prereqs, I mean college classes that are prerequisites for most medical schools and/or cover MCAT content. Traditionally, medical school prereqs include a year of gen bio +lab, a year of gen chem +lab, a year of o-chem + lab, a year of physics + lab, a year of english, and a math class (calc or stats). Some schools are changing requirements a little bit to be more flexible and to reflect the new MCAT, which has added biochem, psych, and soc to the mix. What do you mean when you say you will spend a couple of weeks on each at a time?

Reactions: 1 user
I am also confused by this. You will need to take the prerequisite courses at an accredited school in order to get into medical school...and this can't be done over a few weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are talking about the same thing and I am taking the prerequisites that are mentioned above through accredited universities that are distance learning courses that can be completed at the student's desired pace. I'm taking the courses from University of New England, University of Missouri, and University of North Dakota.

Got it. Many schools are strict on online prereqs, particularly those with lab components, so just make sure the ones you apply to will accept the courses.

Back to your original question: just make sure you have a firm grasp of the material, if you complete them quickly. Then give yourself plenty of time to review content and take practice tests. Don't rush into taking the MCAT! As the amazing @Goro likes to say, medical schools aren't going anywhere!

Reactions: 1 user