This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quantumdood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my basic profile...

-MA resident

-Cumulative GPA: 3.60 (school=top 30)

-Science GPA: 3.51 (2 W's, retook for A-'s)

-MCAT: 27 (10-7-10), 508 (129-124-128-127), 516 (129-127-130-130)

-Research: 12 months linguistics/cognitive neuroscience, 8 month neuropsych with poster presentation, secondary author in a textbook chapter overviewing pediatric psychiatric disorders

-Employment history: mental health counselor on an inpatient psych ward (2014-present), runner/busser in high school+college

-Volunteering (clinical): dementia outpatient unit my senior year of high school (6 hrs/wk); EMT (12-24 hours/month) in college (sophomore-senior year)

-Non-clinical volunteering: youth basketball coach, children party coordinator for a homeless shelter

-Physician shadowing: 40 hours orthopedic surgeon, 40 hours hematology/oncology

-4 great LOR's: 1 research, 2 professor, 1 nurse manager

I'm interested in East Coast/Midwest programs...potentially:

MD= Tufts/BU/UMASS (MA resident), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Stritch, Wake Forest, George Washington, Georgetown, Rush, R-Franklin, Albany, Einstein, Tulane, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Wright, Brown, Penn State, VCU, Eastern Virginia, UVM, Loma Linda, Emory, USF-Morsani, South Carolina-Greenville, Marshall (why are the MCAT/GPA stats so low for this program?)

DO= PCOM, CCOM, NYIT, NY-TOURO

I think what makes my profile difficult to align with other candidates/MSAR is the MCAT attempts x3 (but 3rd is very good), and 2 W's/mediocre GPA, but from a very good UG institution.

What do you think? Am I competitive for most of these programs? Do I have too many reaches?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A 516 is nothing to sneeze at.

Chances best at U MA.

Here is my basic profile...

-MA resident

-Cumulative GPA: 3.60 (school=top 30)

-Science GPA: 3.51 (2 W's, retook for A-'s)

-MCAT: 27 (10-7-10), 508 (129-124-128-127), 516 (129-127-130-130)

-Research: 12 months linguistics/cognitive neuroscience, 8 month neuropsych with poster presentation, secondary author in a textbook chapter overviewing pediatric psychiatric disorders

-Employment history: mental health counselor on an inpatient psych ward (2014-present), runner/busser in high school+college

-Volunteering (clinical): dementia outpatient unit my senior year of high school (6 hrs/wk); EMT (12-24 hours/month) in college (sophomore-senior year)

-Non-clinical volunteering: youth basketball coach, children party coordinator for a homeless shelter

-Physician shadowing: 40 hours orthopedic surgeon, 40 hours hematology/oncology

-4 great LOR's: 1 research, 2 professor, 1 nurse manager

I'm interested in East Coast/Midwest programs...potentially:

MD= Tufts/BU/UMASS (MA resident), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Stritch, Wake Forest, George Washington, Georgetown, Rush, R-Franklin, Albany, Einstein, Tulane, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Wright, Brown, Penn State, VCU, Eastern Virginia, UVM, Loma Linda, Emory, USF-Morsani, South Carolina-Greenville, Marshall (why are the MCAT/GPA stats so low for this program?)

DO= PCOM, CCOM, NYIT, NY-TOURO

I think what makes my profile difficult to align with other candidates/MSAR is the MCAT attempts x3 (but 3rd is very good), and 2 W's/mediocre GPA, but from a very good UG institution.

What do you think? Am I competitive for most of these programs? Do I have too many reaches?

Members don't see this ad :)
A 516 is nothing to sneeze at.

Chances best at U MA.

Thanks...given the above MD programs (other than U MA), do you think I have a decent chance get accepted somewhere? Do I have too many reaches?

Yes, and no. The GPA is low, but not lethal. Still, it limits you.

Remove the schools in red.

MD= Tufts/BU/UMASS (MA resident), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Stritch, Wake Forest, George Washington, Georgetown, Rush, R-Franklin, Albany, Einstein, Tulane, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Wright, Brown, VCU, Eastern Virginia, UVM, Loma Linda (are you aware of their list of don'ts???), Emory, USF-Morsani, South Carolina-Greenville,

Marshall

W VA school.
(why are the MCAT/GPA stats so low for this program?)

Consier adding Oakland B, and DO schools. Start with Touro-NY and UNECOM.

Thanks...given the above MD programs (other than U MA), do you think I have a decent chance get accepted somewhere? Do I have too many reaches?

Yes, and no. The GPA is low, but not lethal. Still, it limits you.

Remove the schools in red.

MD= Tufts/BU/UMASS (MA resident), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Stritch, Wake Forest, George Washington, Georgetown, Rush, R-Franklin, Albany, Einstein, Tulane, Quinnipiac, NYMC, Wright, Brown, VCU, Eastern Virginia, UVM, Loma Linda (are you aware of their list of don'ts???), Emory, USF-Morsani, South Carolina-Greenville,

Marshall

W VA school.
(why are the MCAT/GPA stats so low for this program?)

Consier adding Oakland B, and DO schools. Start with Touro-NY and UNECOM.
Thanks...it is clear that some of the schools in red are reaches. But for the other schools, Wright/USF-Morsani/Greenville...is that because their OOS% is on the lower end. What is the minimum OOS% that I should consider?

With OOS state schools, you need to be > avg., since state schools favor the home team. I recommend them only when they matriculate ~15+ of their applicants. VCU and U VT and the two most OOS friendly schools.

Thanks...it is clear that some of the schools in red are reaches. But for the other schools, Wright/USF-Morsani/Greenville...is that because their OOS% is on the lower end. What is the minimum OOS% that I should consider?

But for the other schools, Wright/USF-Morsani/Greenville...is that because their OOS% is on the lower end. What is the minimum OOS% that I should consider?

USF-Morsani is pretty friendly to OOS for a state school. If you have significant leadership background and want to apply there is the SELECT program that might be better for you.

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/select/index.htm

Just a heads up though USF-Morsani may be low-yield for you because the school has made it known they want to significantly raise their MCAT Averages for the next matriculating class.

USF-Morsani is pretty friendly to OOS for a state school. If you have significant leadership background and want to apply there is the SELECT program that might be better for you.

http://health.usf.edu/medicine/mdprogram/select/index.htm

Just a heads up though USF-Morsani may be low-yield for you because the school has made it known they want to significantly raise their MCAT Averages for the next matriculating class.
Although I took the MCAT 3X, isn't the 516 equivalent to a 34/35, which is significantly higher than the 32 listed on MSAR?

With OOS state schools, you need to be > avg., since state schools favor the home team. I recommend them only when they matriculate ~15+ of their applicants. VCU and U VT and the two most OOS friendly schools.
Most of those schools have a relatively low OOS%, take more than 15 OOS students. Wright for example, has a 29% OOS rate (MSAR 2017), and takes 100+ students. Although my 3.6/3.5 GPA is lower (but not drastically) than 3.7/3.6, doesn't the 516 MCAT boost my stats above their average (29)?

I don't mean to argue with your advice, because it is much appreciated. I'm just trying to better understand the application process.

If you're from a state that borders OH, then it might be worth a shot. But I believe that the majority of OOSers are people who either grew up int he state or went to college there...that's what I consider a significant tie.

And you need to have both sets of stats > avg...with so many qualified applicants, it's a seller's market, and schools can afford to turn away candidates like yourself.

Most of those schools have a relatively low OOS%, take more than 15 OOS students. Wright for example, has a 29% OOS rate (MSAR 2017), and takes 100+ students. Although my 3.6/3.5 GPA is lower (but not drastically) than 3.7/3.6, doesn't the 516 MCAT boost my stats above their average (29)?

I don't mean to argue with your advice, because it is much appreciated. I'm just trying to better understand the application process.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're from a state that borders OH, then it might be worth a shot. But I believe that the majority of OOSers are people who either grew up int he state or went to college there...that's what I consider a significant tie.

And you need to have both sets of stats > avg...with so many qualified applicants, it's a seller's market, and schools can afford to turn away candidates like yourself.
Thanks for your response. I plan on applying to 30-35 schools. Given my stats, you think the best approach would be slimming the MD, and including more DO?