help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlongwood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that during the match, US MEDS students get first choice to residency spots and then other groups like IMG are given a chance. can anyone verify this claim. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely NOT true. All applicants are considered in the same match. It IS true, however, that international medical school grads have a tougher time matching, but that has nothing to do with the process or procedures of the match. It's just that many programs prefer to hire US medical school grads.

thanks, that sounds better to me too.

Members don't see this ad :)
NOt just that but the IMGs/FMGS/and DOs can match outside of the match..

EctopicFetus said:
NOt just that but the IMGs/FMGS/and DOs can match outside of the match..
Can but it's pretty rare in EM.

Def rare in EM but the reality is that it legally can happen. A 4th yr US Allo grad can NOT legally do this.

EctopicFetus said:
Def rare in EM but the reality is that it legally can happen. A 4th yr US Allo grad can NOT legally do this.

Really? what about EM makes it illegal to hire a US Allo grad outside the match. I know of US allo grads being hired outside the match in other specialties? Granted EM is way more competitive that the specalities that I have seen this in but I don't see how it is "illegal" as long as the position being offered is not already dedicated to the match.

Per NRMP rules.. a 4th yr US allo grad CAN NOT accept a job outside of the match prior to the match occuring. No US 4th yr can accept a position prior to the match. this is per nrmp rules.

napoleanna said:
Really? what about EM makes it illegal to hire a US Allo grad outside the match. I know of US allo grads being hired outside the match in other specialties? Granted EM is way more competitive that the specalities that I have seen this in but I don't see how it is "illegal" as long as the position being offered is not already dedicated to the match.

The prohibition is on US MD seniors - period. It is this group only (but, it is a HUGE group - the majority of residency applicants each year) that MUST go thorugh the match until the match is over - then they can scramble if needed. Even if a graduating senior doesn't do an internship or start a residency, that next year, that USMD grad is in the pool like any other non-4th year. People that are not USMD grads finishing in May/June are, by definition, "independent" applicants - these include USDO, USIMG, FMG, Canadian applicants, and 'physician" (USMD grads that have received their degree) applicants, who are those US grads that are not (any longer) seniors - that being last year (or before).

Once again, it's rules. If you know the rules, then you will see how it is "illegal" - it's spelled out clearly.

Apollyon said:
The prohibition is on US MD seniors - period. It is this group only (but, it is a HUGE group - the majority of residency applicants each year) that MUST go thorugh the match until the match is over - then they can scramble if needed. Even if a graduating senior doesn't do an internship or start a residency, that next year, that USMD grad is in the pool like any other non-4th year. People that are not USMD grads finishing in May/June are, by definition, "independent" applicants - these include USDO, USIMG, FMG, Canadian applicants, and 'physician" (USMD grads that have received their degree) applicants, who are those US grads that are not (any longer) seniors - that being last year (or before).

Once again, it's rules. If you know the rules, then you will see how it is "illegal" - it's spelled out clearly.

Ok you are right...I went back and found in the rules where NRMP prohibits hiring graduating 4th years outside the match...the individuals I knew of graduated in december and therefore were probably exempt.

...That said...HOLY ****! :wow: where does NRMP get off forcing programs to use the match?

I guess I sound naive but I thought everyone used it because it was organized and because everyone else was so to get the competitive applicants you had to. But I can see how it might be to the advantage of less competitive programs in less competitive specialties (who therefore are filled with FMGs) to be able to hire an US Grad interested in their program for geographic/family reasons outside the match (since they get the rest of their applicants outside the match as well). But in order for the ORTHO, EM, DERM etc. programs at a school to participate in the match then the less competitive programs are forced to limit their US hires to the Match too.

I had no idea how big of a monster the Match was!

napoleanna said:
...That said...HOLY ****! :wow: where does NRMP get off forcing programs to use the match?

They have to force everyone to use it, or else some would, and some wouldn't, and it would be like before the match 50 years ago, or med school admissions now, or some of the fellowship application things - a "he said/she said", "Oooh, I got this one, I'm going to sit on it until I get 3 more, then decline 3 of them in April". It's an all right system, but certainly better than it was.