[Help] Physics Calculus-based or Algebra-based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlt2796

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I would like to ask you guys about Physics. I thought the Calculus-based P class would be more difficult than the Algebra-based one. I searched couple of schools and they don't require a cal-one. So would you recommend me to take cal-one to impress or take the al-one just to fullfille regs?
I appreciate it.
Thank you.
Tri.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask you guys about Physics. I thought the Calculus-based P class would be more difficult than the Algebra-based one. I searched couple of schools and they don't require a cal-one. So would you recommend me to take cal-one to impress or take the al-one just to fullfille regs?
I appreciate it.
Thank you.
Tri.

Always take the minimum that you can take to get you into school is my opinion. I really didn't like math or physics so I did the best I could to avoid the hardest ones (i.e., business calculus and trig-based physics).

But beware that not every school will require the 'easier' of the two choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I appreciate it.
Thank you.
Tri.
Calc based! The calculus in physics is very basic anyway, and you usually get better teachers in the calculus based one (from my experience, anyway). You'll also have more options for schools if you take calc-based. Plus...physics is fun!

If you hate Physics (like me), I would do my best to avoid the harder of the 2. IMO Algebra-based Physics is much easier than Calc-based. Plus, only a handful of schools require that you take the Calc-based Physics. Make it easier on yourself. Just my $0.02;)

When I was in college, I took calc-based physics and it wasn't that bad. I was in class with smart people and physics majors.

Note: I am not implying anything about people who take the algebra-based physics.

I knew plenty of smart pre-med students who took algebra-based physics and did well.

Always take the minimum that you can take to get you into school is my opinion.

Really?

I was considering taking Biochemistry at some point to polish up my app, my app is a bit uncompetitive because of my major lackage in the extracurriculars areas.

I've also heard that Biochem is good to take in undergrad because they speed through it in pharm school...Would you advise against taking it?

Really?

I was considering taking Biochemistry at some point to polish up my app, my app is a bit uncompetitive because of my major lackage in the extracurriculars areas.

I've also heard that Biochem is good to take in undergrad because they speed through it in pharm school...Would you advise against taking it?

I think it's a good idea to take Biochem. I think biochem is required by some schools so you should double check. Pharmacy schools do look at how rigorous your courses are.

But to answer the physics question, I think taking the algebra based physics is sufficient as long as it meets the pharmacy prereqs. I know some pharmacy schools don't specify algebra based or calculus based, but instead state that the physics class should cover certain topics (eg. thermodynamics). So make sure whichever class you decide to take meets the prereqs for the schools you will be applying to.

Also to note, it is better to get an A in algebra based physics than to get a B in calculus based physics. So make sure you take the class you will do well in, not the name just to show off to the adcoms.

Calc based! The calculus in physics is very basic anyway, and you usually get better teachers in the calculus based one (from my experience, anyway). You'll also have more options for schools if you take calc-based. Plus...physics is fun!

You have the exact opposite of my experience with calculus based physics. For my undergrad, the teachers for the calculus physics were absolutely terrible, while the regular physics had much better teachers.

Also, I strongly disagree with the phrase "physics is fun."

Really?

I would advise for you to take it before starting pharmacy school.

Some people want to jump right into biochem in pharmacy school with no exposure to it, and study a lot harder than they would without having had biochem before.

If you want to put yourself through that, then sure, you can take something else instead of biochem.

I think it's a good idea to take Biochem. I think biochem is required by some schools so you should double check. Pharmacy schools do look at how rigorous your courses are.

But to answer the physics question, I think taking the algebra based physics is sufficient as long as it meets the pharmacy prereqs. I know some pharmacy schools don't specify algebra based or calculus based, but instead state that the physics class should cover certain topics (eg. thermodynamics). So make sure whichever class you decide to take meets the prereqs for the schools you will be applying to.

Also to note, it is better to get an A in algebra based physics than to get a B in calculus based physics. So make sure you take the class you will do well in, not the name just to show off to the adcoms.

Some schools consider the difficulty of your course load. You may think it's better to get an A in an easy course than to get a B in a more difficult course, but that really depends on what the school thinks.

You have the exact opposite of my experience with calculus based physics. For my undergrad, the teachers for the calculus physics were absolutely terrible, while the regular physics had much better teachers.

Also, I strongly disagree with the phrase "physics is fun."

I thought physics was fun. I was kinda nerdy about it, so I got really interested in what I was learning, and that made it easier for me to pay attention.

I took Calculus based Physics when I was in Engineering School.I took Algebra based Physics when I was updating credits for pre-reqs.I definitely found the Algebra based to be easier. Although, at my school, the Calc based Physics for Engineers was a "weeder" class for the engineering program so it may not have been representative of the difficulty level of most schools.If Algebra based is all that you need, I would definitely go that route. If you want to add some "difficulty" to your coursework, I would recommend the Biochem and some Advanced Human Physiology above and beyond the pre-req requirements. At least those classes will help you in Pharmacy school and perhaps with the PCAT. Physics will not.

Hi everyone,
I appreciate it.
Thank you.
Tri.

I think it depends on how well you think you could do in the calc based. If you think you can get an a in calc based without hurting your other grades I would do that. My advisor told me to take calc based because I was going to minor in math, and I did very well in calc 1, 2, and 3. I ended up getting accepted before I took physics though, so I am taking the easier one (algebra based) now. If you enjoy math I would not advise this though, because I am extremely bored in the algebra based physics, and I would say it is farely easy.

Take the easiest physics. Also, taking biochem before pharm school helped cut down the effort I had to put into the biochem we had first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest only taking pre-requisites and avoiding classes like Immunology, Histology and Biochemistry prior to entering pharmacy school. I meant in context of when offered two choices, taking the one you'll get the best grade in (i.e., the easier of the two choices) because in the end, that'll be what gets you into school. I would've gotten a terrible grade in "real" Calculus, for example, which may very well have impacted my admission to pharmacy school.

I wrote that reply in a hurry, sorry for giving folks the wrong impression.

Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest only taking pre-requisites and avoiding classes like Immunology, Histology and Biochemistry prior to entering pharmacy school. I meant in context of when offered two choices, taking the one you'll get the best grade in (i.e., the easier of the two choices) because in the end, that'll be what gets you into school. I would've gotten a terrible grade in "real" Calculus, for example, which may very well have impacted my admission to pharmacy school.

I wrote that reply in a hurry, sorry for giving folks the wrong impression.

I agree with this. I know a number of people who took very challenging upper level classes to "bolster" their applications and ended up getting Bs or Cs in them. I don't think it helped them much.

I agree with this. I know a number of people who took very challenging upper level classes to "bolster" their applications and ended up getting Bs or Cs in them. I don't think it helped them much.

I've gotten B's and C's in challenging upper level courses with a difficult schedule, and I think it helped me. I know it differs from person to person though, and knowing your limitation.

I've gotten B's and C's in challenging upper level courses with a difficult schedule, and I think it helped me. I know it differs from person to person though, and knowing your limitation.

I think she means it didn't help them in terms of their cGPA. It may have given them some foundation in sciences that could be useful in pharm school (like biochem) but with B's and C's, you're going to pull down your GPA significantly depending on how many credits you have.

I think she means it didn't help them in terms of their cGPA. It may have given them some foundation in sciences that could be useful in pharm school (like biochem) but with B's and C's, you're going to pull down your GPA significantly depending on how many credits you have.

This is what I meant. Doing it for the knowledge is great, but if it drags your GPA down to the point where you get prescreened out in pharmacy school admissions... well that kind of sucks.

Thanks for all of your advices. They are very helpful. I appreciate it. Let me tell about myself first then I'll ask the question ^^.
Right now, I'm just in the first semester of community college. I skipped the fall semester because of financial aid. So far everything is not bad and I'm having a part-time technician job. I'm pretty sure about a good LOR from my manager. He's very nice though. My dream schools are Midwestern at Glendale and U of Arizona and I'm searching for some easier schools (just in case I can't make it :( ).(Sorry about a long long introduction ^^).
So, I would like to ask you guys again some questions :)
1/ About extracurricular activities, what would you recommend me about them? Is it like volunteering, tutoring, clubs or something like that? My school has a club called "Doctor for Tomorrow". I don't know if I should join and just be a "member" or try to find something else.
Your experience is a helpful advice for you.
Thank you.
Tri.

Calc based was easier and here is why!

I took Phys w/ Calc 1 and Plain Phys 2 w/ Algebra.

Phys 1 w/ Calc was easier because not many pre-health/med/pharm majors have taken calc and it was mainly engineering students. Averages were lower and curves were higher.

Phys 2 w/ Algebra had many pre-med majors etc. who all wanted A's and I sware the averages were always 80-90% on the tests. Basically no curve.

About extracurricular activities, what would you recommend me about them? Is it like volunteering, tutoring, clubs or something like that? My school has a club called "Doctor for Tomorrow". I don't know if I should join and just be a "member" or try to find something else.

Does your school have a pre-pharmacy organization? Definitely join that. As for other things like volunteering, do something that's rewarding for you. It doesn't necessarily have to be pharmacy-related. Don't join so many clubs for the sake of joining and overwhelm yourself. Pick a few that you can really commit to. Quality > quantity IMO. And don't stop at just being a member. Try to take a leadership position within one of your extra-curriculars. It will benefit you greatly.

What if I can't take a leadership position? What else could I do? I have no idea about this :(.
Thank you.
Tri.

What if I can't take a leadership position? What else could I do? I have no idea about this :(.
Thank you.
Tri.

I'm not sure what kind of technician job you have but if it's not pharmacy related then I think getting some pharmacy experience will help your application out.

Also, don't join a club or join anything for that matter just because you think the adcoms will like it. If you're not going to enjoy it, then don't do it. Do something you'll enjoy and learn from. Like someone has said before, you need to make sure to commit to something for a long period of time. You want to make sure that you can talk about what you've learned during your experience if they ask you during the interview.

My job is pharmacy technician at Walmart. I don't know if the adcom would consider it as an extracurricular activity. I think I need an extrac activity so far, but I haven't got any ideas about that. :(

My job is pharmacy technician at Walmart. I don't know if the adcom would consider it as an extracurricular activity. I think I need an extrac activity so far, but I haven't got any ideas about that. :(

Pharm tech would be considered work experience. If you really want an extracurricular activity then I think a great way to start is joining a club you're interested in or volunteering. But these things are not the only things the adcoms look at. You also have to make sure you have solid LORs, PS, GPA, etc.

I'd suggest taking the Calculus-based one unless you think it would be difficult enough to affect your GPA and hurt your chances of getting accepted somewhere.

Calc based was easier and here is why!

I took Phys w/ Calc 1 and Plain Phys 2 w/ Algebra.

Phys 1 w/ Calc was easier because not many pre-health/med/pharm majors have taken calc and it was mainly engineering students. Averages were lower and curves were higher.

Phys 2 w/ Algebra had many pre-med majors etc. who all wanted A's and I sware the averages were always 80-90% on the tests. Basically no curve.

I took the algebra based one and did not experience this. The averages were around 60% on each test, so it was very easy to be near the top of the class.

Take whatever you feel you can do best in, unless the school you want to go to requires calc based.