Help! personal situation and OS internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

t21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my 3rd year of dental school and I'm probably going to apply for an OS internship for 2011.

The thing is, I just started my ortho treatment and I'll be getting orthognathic surgery. I was planning on getting it next year after graduation which is in june.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me when most internships usually start and how long it usually takes to heal after orthognathic surgery. How long will it take before I become "functional" again?

Do you think if I get accepted, that a program director could allow me to start a week or two late? Cuz I really wouldn't want to "lose" a year... worse case scenario I'm considering not attending prom and graduation to allow more time to recover and being ready in time for the start of the internship

Members don't see this ad.

You probably want to give yourself 6 weeks before planning to do anything that might cause you real strain. You'd probably be able to attend orientation etc at 4 weeks out without too much trouble. Unfortunately, you'll still want post-ops until at least 6-8 weeks so that is kind of a bummer. Fortunately, you would be in a great place for F/U! By the way, one of my dental classmates was back in class cutting teeth at 5 weeks S/P.

As far as the start of your internship - it is almost certain to be July 1st officially. This seems to be most common nationwide for OMS. However, most programs request that you come about 1 week prior to do a few other things eg. ACLS training. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.