HELP!!! optometrist practicing or teaching outside U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montiemm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know what it takes to work for Optometry Giving Sight’s or International Centre for Eye care Education’s projects in countries like Asia, Africa, and etc.?

The reason I'm asking about this is that my boyfriend's new job requires him to travel to a different country every two years. This job is his dream and it's also my dream to travel with him. However, I'm going to start optometry school this september. I learned that it's very difficult for Optometrist from the U.S to practice in the foreign countries, esp in developing countries. But I really don't want to give up optometry, nor do I want to loose him.

I'm desperately seeking for opportunities out there that will allow me to do what I love : practicing optometry and helping people.
I will do it even if the pay is low.
Any clues or information might give us hope and strength to stay together!!!

Thanks for reading this! Keeping my finger crossed!
:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The internets are full of government websites that can provide you with licensing information.

Contact optometry schools to see if they have sites abroad (some have for extern in 4th year) or if they have contacts abroad (some faculty members might have connections).

OR.. you can just find the nearest hospital/clinic/foreign school where ever you are and ask if they are hiring AMERICAN TRAINED health care professional. :D

Do you actually want to travel around to different countries every 2 years? I mean, I enjoy traveling but I don't know about picking up my stuff to move around.. to underdeveloped countries. I won't lie, I'm spoiled by the states. Hey, I can help people here too. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what it takes to work for Optometry Giving Sight’s or International Centre for Eye care Education’s projects in countries like Asia, Africa, and etc.?

OGS is just the fund raising arm of ICEE.

In my experience it is very difficult to work for ICEE specifically. They hire mostly out of Australia and South Africa.

You are not, however limited to ICEE. Look at the Fred Hollows Foundation, Helen Keller International, CBM, Operation Eyesight, Sightsavers, etc.

It is very difficult to find international work in optometry. It would be even harder to find opportunities in the exact city where your boyfriend is employed. Typically you need to go where the jobs are. The jobs just don't happen to be where you want to go.

Depending on what you are looking to do (teach optometry vs. development work) you may want to consider getting a public health degree in addition to your optometry degree.

OGS is just the fund raising arm of ICEE.

In my experience it is very difficult to work for ICEE specifically. They hire mostly out of Australia and South Africa.

You are not, however limited to ICEE. Look at the Fred Hollows Foundation, Helen Keller International, CBM, Operation Eyesight, Sightsavers, etc.

It is very difficult to find international work in optometry. It would be even harder to find opportunities in the exact city where your boyfriend is employed. Typically you need to go where the jobs are. The jobs just don't happen to be where you want to go.

Depending on what you are looking to do (teach optometry vs. development work) you may want to consider getting a public health degree in addition to your optometry degree.

An optometrist whom I shadowed not long ago is part of VOSH. He also mentioned it is difficult to work for ICEE since there are more politics involves. but VOSH is a lot simpler because it is a more independent group and everything is voluntary.

When you say ICEE hires from Africa and Australia, you mean they employ optometrist there or unprofessional employees?

It would be great if you could share some of your experience with these organizations.

and could you explain why a public health degree would help in my case?

I've heard so many people telling me maybe I should just choose another career. but I'll give myself more time to think about this.

thanks a lot for the information!

Do you actually want to travel around to different countries every 2 years? I mean, I enjoy traveling but I don't know about picking up my stuff to move around.. to underdeveloped countries. I won't lie, I'm spoiled by the states. Hey, I can help people here too. :)

I understand what you are saying completely. I've been spoiled by parents in every way you could imagine.
and I know this is not traveling like going on vacations, it's a choice of life style. It could be exciting but also frustrating sometimes.
frankly, i'm not 100% ready for this now. but I'm willing to take a chance and prepare myself. Sometimes, love requires compromises, right?

The internets are full of government websites that can provide you with licensing information.

Contact optometry schools to see if they have sites abroad (some have for extern in 4th year) or if they have contacts abroad (some faculty members might have connections).

OR.. you can just find the nearest hospital/clinic/foreign school where ever you are and ask if they are hiring AMERICAN TRAINED health care professional. :D

thanks for your reply vieromanxx!

The only school I know that has extern programs is the one in New England. they have some kind of partnership with the only optometry school in the south part of China.
Do you know any other schools though?

and do you need special license to practice in a foreign country such as countries in Africa and south Asia?

THanks!!!

thanks for your reply vieromanxx!

The only school I know that has extern programs is the one in New England. they have some kind of partnership with the only optometry school in the south part of China.
Do you know any other schools though?

and do you need special license to practice in a foreign country such as countries in Africa and south Asia?

THanks!!!

Great post! This is very helpful for me!! My bf (of many years) just started his career in international tax, so we plan on doing some traveling in the future, too.
I am still a pre-opt student, but on Nova's website they show that they have 3 extern programs in China, too. Also, I know a distant family friend that is an USA trained OD working in Dubai, and I believe she does pretty well. I understand what you mean about having to compromise something like this in a relationship, and I believe it is totally worth it :)

Great post! This is very helpful for me!! My bf (of many years) just started his career in international tax, so we plan on doing some traveling in the future, too.
I am still a pre-opt student, but on Nova's website they show that they have 3 extern programs in China, too. Also, I know a distant family friend that is an USA trained OD working in Dubai, and I believe she does pretty well. I understand what you mean about having to compromise something like this in a relationship, and I believe it is totally worth it :)

Healthnutty! i'm so glad you find it helpful. and you have no idea how happy it makes me knowing that there's someone who can feel my shoes right now. :laugh:esp, after hearing so many negative things about being an optometrist in foreign countries.
I really belief if we are determined and work hard for what we want, we'll find a way that works the best for us!

thanks for telling me about the programs in NOVA, i'll definitely look into it.

An optometrist whom I shadowed not long ago is part of VOSH. He also mentioned it is difficult to work for ICEE since there are more politics involves. but VOSH is a lot simpler because it is a more independent group and everything is voluntary.

ICEE and VOSH are not comparable. They are in completely different realms of scope, size and philosophies. You cannot make a living from VOSH. Many would argue that VOSH, in its current form, has outlived its usefulness. But that is a discussion for another day.

When you say ICEE hires from Africa and Australia, you mean they employ optometrist there or unprofessional employees?

ICEE is based out of Australia and South Africa (for the most part). They hire optometrists from these countries. It is important to note that these optometrists do not generally provide clinical care. They develop policies. They write curriculum to train mid-level eye care personnel. They oversee budgets, etc.

and could you explain why a public health degree would help in my case?

You need to sit down with yourself and ask some serious questions. What is it that you want out of life? If it is to live all over the world with your boyfriend optometry is probably not a good career choice. No matter what anyone says to you about how they know this person who lives here and does this type of optometry you need to know that it is very, very difficult to practice optometry outside of North America. If you move to a developed country you need to be licensed there and often have to go through their exams which, at times, are made more difficult for foreigners. Many developed countries and most developing countries don't even have optometry as a profession. They will not let you practice your profession.

If you are truly interested in the type of work that ICEE, CBM, FHF, et al do you need to know that it isn't clinical care. It is work that supports the development of eye care systems in developing countries. This could be training or policy writing or having meetings with Ministries of Health to advocate for their support of eye care and eye care workers, etc.

There a lot of optometrists in the world. An optometry degree is often enough to teach at an optometry school outside of North America. This is generally because optometry is not as developed there. If you want to work for one of the organizations I listed, however, they like to see that you understand development. That you understand what public health is. That your ideals are in line with theirs. One of the easiest ways to show this is to get an MPH although it is not the only way.

If you choose to pursue development work you need to know that it will consume your life. You will make next to nothing. You will lose sleep. You will go prematurely gray. You will feel overwhelmed. You will cry. You will yell. You will, at times, be more frustrated than you've ever been in your life. You will be away from your family and the conveniences of home for many months at a time.

But in the end, if you believe in public health. If you believe in the importance of eye care. If you believe in the things you do and the people you train it is all worth it.

Stop and think about what you want to do. Very few want to do the work that goes with being a public health optometrist. Most just want the adventure.

I understand what you are saying completely. I've been spoiled by parents in every way you could imagine.
and I know this is not traveling like going on vacations, it's a choice of life style. It could be exciting but also frustrating sometimes.
frankly, i'm not 100% ready for this now. but I'm willing to take a chance and prepare myself. Sometimes, love requires compromises, right?

More power to you, but personally unless there is a ring and wedding plans in action, I won't be rearranging my life for another person. Especially if I'm not passionate about living in underdeveloped communities..... You're right, love requires compromises, but this is a BIG compromise. It's not like "You cook, I'll clean"....

Actually, there are many countries now that are looking for optometry practitioners to meet their needs. You can check them out to see if these suit your preferred travel plans.