Help on a hard choice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to three places and I have already interviewed at one podiatric school for the class of 2010. I have already been accepted to that one. The problem is that I have also been offered interviews in North Chicago and New York, but I can only afford to go to one more. I'm really happy that I have one offer, but I feel like I need something to compare it to. Do any of you have opinions as to what choice I should make, Or HOW I should decide which of the other two schools I should look at for an interview?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

scpod said:
I applied to three places and I have already interviewed at one podiatric school for the class of 2010. I have already been accepted to that one. The problem is that I have also been offered interviews in North Chicago and New York, but I can only afford to go to one more. I'm really happy that I have one offer, but I feel like I need something to compare it to. Do any of you have opinions as to what choice I should make, Or HOW I should decide which of the other two schools I should look at for an interview?

Thanks,

I would go to scholl over New York. My opinion.

Where are you accepted?

scpod said:

Thanks,

Between those two, Scholl hands down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scholl is the better chioce. Have you thought of DMU? Which school did you get into?

Out of those two I would visit Scholl.

psionic_blast said:
Scholl is the better chioce. Have you thought of DMU? Which school did you get into?

Thanks for you feedback, too. I got in at Barry. I've gotten mail and brochures sent to me from DMU and Temple, but I've never really thought much about them. I only applied to a few places, mainly because of the expense of the interviews. The very closest school to my home is 661 miles away. Four (or more) tanks of gas and a hotel room can get to be fairly expensive these days.

scpod said:
Thanks for you feedback, too. I got in at Barry. I've gotten mail and brochures sent to me from DMU and Temple, but I've never really thought much about them. I only applied to a few places, mainly because of the expense of the interviews. The very closest school to my home is 661 miles away. Four (or more) tanks of gas and a hotel room can get to be fairly expensive these days.
\

I would look into dmu no matter what when it comes to pod school. Spend the money.

oncogene

oncogene said:
\

I would look into dmu no matter what when it comes to pod school. Spend the money.

oncogene

You know, I've thought about it a lot, but I don't really think that any of the schools would be bad choices. Of course, I'm one of those people who is pretty darn flexible. I like the idea of being in Florida because their podiatric scope of practice is really broad-- but I could just as easily be satisfied somplace else. I hate snow, though. Does it seem strange that a silly thing like the amount of snowfall might actually affect my final decision?

To tell you the truth, it's just really nice to have already been accepted (at this early date) by someone because I know that I will be studying podiatric medicine next year...somewhere. Years from now, I'm not so sure that it will matter where I studied at all.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

I am a 3rd year at NYCPM.

I'm sure that you will get a great eucation no matter where you go to school. And also no matter which school you choose the more you put into your education the more you will get out of it.

I'll give you a few reasons why I and most people choose NYCPM over other schools...

1. we have a clinic downstairs from our classrooms - more clinical exposure

2. NYC - need I say more?

3. friendly people - yes even in NYC. The students and the faculty, admin... are very friendly and supportive. People are genuinly happy most of the time.

4. we have a clinic - oh I already said that.

To touch on the scope issue, the scope does not effect you until you are practicing - out of residency. As a student you learn how to be a podiatrist with the broadest scope available so when you get out you can practice in any state.

And it is not stragne to let snow effect your decision. Miserable b/c of weather = miserable and who wants that?

krabmas said:

I'm sure that you will get a great eucation no matter where you go to school. And also no matter which school you choose the more you put into your education the more you will get out of it.

I'll give you a few reasons why I and most people choose NYCPM over other schools...

3. friendly people - yes even in NYC. The students and the faculty, admin... are very friendly and supportive. People are genuinly happy most of the time.

To touch on the scope issue, the scope does not effect you until you are practicing - out of residency. As a student you learn how to be a podiatrist with the broadest scope available so when you get out you can practice in any state.

And it is not stragne to let snow effect your decision. Miserable b/c of weather = miserable and who wants that?

Thanks for your input. As the largest and oldest school, I would expect to have at least someone give their opinion. One question, though...how do you deal with the higher standard of living in NYC than you would find in most other places?

krabmas said:

I wasn't aware that there were schools without on-site clinics. That's crazy!

scpod said:

As a Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine grad, I would also recommend you to look into Temple's program. Temple Podiatry basic science courses are pretty much identical to the Temple MD courses and by the same professors, except for the Podiatry courses. This includes the Physical Diagnosis course, where the podiatry students have to go through a practical exam on simulated patients for comprehensive history and physical. I know that other schools market that they sit in the same classes as their medical counterparts (Scholl with MD students, DMU with DO students, and Arizona with DO students). I can tell you that the basic science courses are pretty much identical between the Medical school and Podiatry school because we had to use old Medical school exams to help us review the basic science materials.

Temple had also made recent changes in their curriculum where they will be done with all of their classes by November of their third year. This way, the students can spent the remainder of the year doing their rotations full time The Temple students actually do the same exact Internal Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery, Anesthesia, etc... rotations as the MD students. In fact, they have to take a shelf exams, like the MD students at the end of their rotations. Podiatric rotations are done at the Foot and Ankle Institute right at the school, Foot and Ankle Institute satellite clinic at Temple University Health Science Campus, Surgery Center at the Temple podiatry school, Wound Care Center at the Temple podiatry school. There is also a Physical Therapy module at Foot and Ankle Institute for students to rotate through.

Temple Podiatry curriculum also has a more surgical slant to it. Temple students take individual podiatric surgery courses, such as Cadaver Surgery, Principles of Digital and Metatarsal Surgery, Principles of First Ray, Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery, Principles of Podiatric Surgery, and Traumatology.

Lastly, Temple podiatry school is located in the chinatown section of downtown Philadelphia. This is a nice location because you are within walking distance to various activities in the downtown Philadelphia area. In addition, there is a dorm located right next to the Podiatry school, which is convenient for the students. There is also a shuttle bus that runs between all of the Temple campuses. Besides the small gym that they have at the Podiatry school, the Podiatry students also have access to the state of the art gym on Temple University main campus.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I encourage to visit any of the schools that you are interested in and determine which school is the best fit for you. Good luck with your search.

scpod said:
Thanks for your input. As the largest and oldest school, I would expect to have at least someone give their opinion. One question, though...how do you deal with the higher standard of living in NYC than you would find in most other places?

There are dorms not too far from the school on the east side - some rooms even have a view of the East River. There is a shuttle van from the school to the dorms and back several times a day.

Many students opt to get apartments that they can afford. It is more costly but you manage with a tight budget. You don't need a car with the great mass transit.

I hope this helps.