Help Me With My School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmcsteamy2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've done well to include Med College of GA in your list. You have a great shot at all the schools on your list, but then, a great shot is only worth so much at such exclusive schools... If worst comes to worst, you'll only get into Med College of GA, which is a good school, and will likely be a bargain $-wise for you.

You're fine. Apply with that list. Good luck. Wish I had cared as much as you did as an undergrad :)

I'm trying to narrow down and finalize my list for med schools. I'd appreciate any help.

GA resident
MCAT: 37Q (11 VR, 14 PS, 12 BS)
3.98 BCPM GPA
Summa Cum Laude from mid-level private university

3 summers at CDC (2 pubs)
3 semesters Biomechanics lab at university (1st author paper on the way)
3 semesters spanish medical interpreting at low-income clinic
2 year church mission
Medical volunteer in 3rd world country
etc.

Here goes:

Duke
Baylor
Harvard
Yale
UCSD
Stanford
U Chicago
Northwestern
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Georgetown
GW
Cornell
NYU
Med College of GA
Tulane
WashU
Yale
Johns Hopkins
UC Irvine
Boston University

yeah i understand - i think that is my fear: that for some reason everything falls through and im banking on mcg to let me in. i would be ok with going there but would prefer a few more options. do you think i should apply to some more middle-tier schools and drop a few of the reach ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
3-4 middle-tier schools may be a good idea. I think you have a great shot at the schools of your choice but nothing is ever a guarantee.

You seem very qualified but even so, I don't think UCSD or irvine would give you much of a shot. I would replace them by Case Western and Emory.. or something like that.

I'd say that if you come across as someone who'd make a good doctor in your interviews, you're going to get into a top ten school.

you make me want to be you! haha we are MCAT twins but definitely not GPA ones and I applying to a whole lot fewer schools than you. I think if your LOR's and PS are good then off to Harvard you go (unless you royally mess up the interview), but don't quote me on that!

you've got great stats, and you have a great shot at a top 10 school (as long as you can interview)

i would take the UC's off your list just because their OOS acceptance rate is so low.

i mean, if you're gonna aim for UC with your stats, why not just pick UCLA and UCSF and that's it... just my opinion.

thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it.

I did forget Emory on the list, and will definitely be applying there. As for the UCs schools. I am very aware that getting in as an OSS is next to impossible. I am only appyling to UC-Irvine because of the PRIME-LC program and my deep interest in the Spanish population. I am applying to UCSD bc my girlfriend really likes the grad program there where she will be applying this next year. So I am probably just wasting my money, but at least its for decent reasons.