Help me tailor my schools list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binkybonky

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first time applying, and I was hoping to gain some advice about how I should tailor my list of schools I would like to apply to. I attached my stats below. Thanks in advance:)

I’m interested in applying to UC Davis, Tufts University, Western University, University of Illinois, PennVet.

22, CA resident, BS Biology emphasis in Zoology, minor in Psychology: Cognitive and Behavioral Neuroscience, Magna Cum Laude, Deans List 2020-2023

GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: ~3.7
Last 45: 3.74
No GRE

Vet Experience:
currently 300+ hrs SA Vet Assistant
aiming to have 700+ hours by deadline

Animal Experience:
Birch Aquarium Tide Pool Interpreter - 12 hours
Grossmont Center Mega Adoption Event - 30 hours
Pet sitting relatives dog - 1000 hours

Research:
15 hours Allen’s Hummingbird Field Research
100 hours Sea Urchin Aquaculture Project
130 hours Rattlesnake and Kangaroo Rat predator-prey interactions and fieldwork

Clubs/Leadership:
Treasurer of Doctors Without Borders chapter
Secretary of Doctors Without Borders chapter
VP of Pre-Veterinary Medical Association
VP of Marketing of College of Sciences Student Council
Active member in Women in Science Society, Zoology Club, Pre-Physician Assistant Club (I was pre-pa before pre-vet)

Employment:
Biology TA (~100 hours)
SA Vet Assistant (intern for 5 months, employed ~1 year)
Ice Cream shop Team Member (1 year and a half)

Volunteering:
SD Food Bank: 5 hours
Service Learning Trip to Guatemala (Medical Campaign): 1 week (~50 hours)
Created care kits for the less fortunate and donated them to Streets of Hope (~3 hours)

Letter of Recs: Veterinarian at SA clinic I worked at, Assistant Dean of College of Sciences, Ornithology professor (hummingbird research PI) , Animal Behavior professor (snake research PI)

I would like to gain more diverse experiences, so I’ll try to work on that at the same time! I was initially interested in Zoo Medicine, but as of recently I could see myself working in Shelter Medicine. Especially during my medical campaign in Guatemala for Doctors Without Borders, I felt motivated to help in underserved areas where animal healthcare isn’t as accessible. I am also planning to gain more vet hours so I’ll be working full time over the summer and hopefully volunteering with different animals to diversify my experiences.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.